Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bacon In A Can

As if "Cheeseburger In A Can" weren't enough, via Gizmodo,
MREdepot.com brings you Bacon In A Can:
http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...d-Bacon/Detail
http://gizmodo.com/5012656/canned-ba...re-in-24-hours
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...f8cc8747cf2ac1

See you next time,
-bwg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 11:04 pm, -bwg > wrote:
> As if "Cheeseburger In A Can" weren't enough, via Gizmodo,
> MREdepot.com brings you Bacon In A Can:http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...f8cc8747cf2ac1

The individual sized cans of bacon that came with old-style Canadian
ration packs were, er, interesting. You had to avoid the lawyer-
inspired directions to put it in a double boiler, and just heat it as
hot and as quick as possible. That was your onlyhope of cripness.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Toronto wrote:

> The individual sized cans of bacon that came with old-style Canadian
> ration packs were, er, interesting. You had to avoid the lawyer-
> inspired directions to put it in a double boiler, and just heat it as
> hot and as quick as possible. That was your onlyhope of cripness.

I remember back in the late 60s my parents used to occasionally get Danish bacon in a can. I don't know where they got it, and I have never seen it, but it was pretty good.

I don't remember bacon in Canadian combat rations. Luckily I didn't have to eat those things very often but I we usually ended up with the menu that included Vienna sausage and canned Jambalaya.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bwg > wrote:
> As if "Cheeseburger In A Can" weren't enough, via Gizmodo,
> MREdepot.com brings you Bacon In A Can:http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...f8cc8747cf2ac1

The US Navy developed and the US military has been using canned
Prefried ("Petrified") bacon for some 60 years... an excellent
product, the highest quality bacon minimally cooked... typically
further cooked to desired doneness by deep frying.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

-bwg wrote:
> As if "Cheeseburger In A Can" weren't enough, via Gizmodo,
> MREdepot.com brings you Bacon In A Can:
> http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...d-Bacon/Detail
> http://gizmodo.com/5012656/canned-ba...re-in-24-hours
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...f8cc8747cf2ac1
>
> See you next time,
> -bwg

Used to do a lot of backpacking at one time and we always brought along
at least one can of bacon. The stuff we bought seemed to be minimally
processed (uncooked, cured only) and the strips were placed on wax paper
which was rolled up and put in cans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 11:04*pm, -bwg > wrote:
> As if "Cheeseburger In A Can" weren't enough, via Gizmodo,
> MREdepot.com brings you Bacon In A Can:http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...f8cc8747cf2ac1
>
> See you next time,
> -bwg

I got news for you - back in the day (the 50s and 60s), we ALWAYS took
commercially canned raw bacon in cans to our fishing camp in Minnesota
- refrigeration wasn't needed - it tasted as good as any refrigerator-
case bacon from the supermarket - it was great for that purpose!

It ain't new. ;-)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I remember back in the late 60s my parents used to occasionally get Danish bacon in a can. I don't know where they got it, and I have never seen it, but it was pretty good.

Yeah, that's the stuff, "Danish bacon." I don't know if they still
sell it or not. I haven't been to a fishing camp in decades.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Can:http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...80%C2%99s-Cele...
http://gizmodo.com/5012656/canned-ba...f8cc8747cf2ac1

>> See you next time,
>> -bwg

> I got news for you - back in the day (the 50s and 60s), we ALWAYS took
> commercially canned raw bacon in cans to our fishing camp in Minnesota
> - refrigeration wasn't needed - it tasted as good as any refrigerator-
> case bacon from the supermarket - it was great for that purpose!
>
> It ain't new. ;-)
>
> N.

MRE's are certainly not "new", as indicated in the original post. Although
why someone would be eating MRE's in 2008 is beyond me. They do have a
great shelf life LOL

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 1:35*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:

> MRE's are certainly not "new", as indicated in the original post. *Although
> why someone would be eating MRE's in 2008 is beyond me. *They do have a
> great shelf life LOL

There are also "MRE-like" products (retort pouches.) I like some of
the Indian ones (Tastybite makes some good ones), and they're
expanding into Chinese and Thai foods now. Those don't have the huge
time savings vs make it from scratch like the Indian ones, but are
still handy for camping, etc.

(I expect to be spending several 2-3 day stretches without seeing a
store or restaurant when I'm out on my bicycle this summer - these are
*really* great for that. No smell (pre-use) to attract animals, etc.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 1:35�pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
> > On Jun 3, 11:04 pm, -bwg > wrote:
> >> As if "Cheeseburger In A Can" weren't enough, via Gizmodo,
> >> MREdepot.com brings you Bacon In A

> Can:http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...-heart-failure...
>

> >> See you next time,
> >> -bwg

> > I got news for you - back in the day (the 50s and 60s), we ALWAYS took
> > commercially canned raw bacon in cans to our fishing camp in Minnesota
> > - refrigeration wasn't needed - it tasted as good as any refrigerator-
> > case bacon from the supermarket - it was great for that purpose!

> > It ain't new. ;-)

> > N.

> MRE's are certainly not "new", as indicated in the original post. �Although
> why someone would be eating MRE's in 2008 is beyond me. �They do have a
> great shelf life LOL

Calling canned bacon an MRE has to be an error... it's definitely not
ready to eat, it's only minimally processsed, right out of the can it
still needs to be cooked. Even grits lovin' hillybillys from the deep
south wouldn't eat petrified bacon straight from the can.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 12:52Â*pm, Sheldon > wrote:
> On Jun 4, 1:35�pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>

> > Nancy2 wrote:

> > Can:http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...80%C2%99s-Cele......

> > > I got news for you - back in the day (the 50s and 60s), we ALWAYS took
> > > commercially canned raw bacon in cans to our fishing camp in Minnesota
> > > - refrigeration wasn't needed - it tasted as good as any refrigerator-
> > > case bacon from the supermarket - it was great for that purpose!

> > > It ain't new. ;-)

> > > N.

> > MRE's are certainly not "new", as indicated in the original post. �Although
> > why someone would be eating MRE's in 2008 is beyond me. �They do have a
> > great shelf life LOL

> Calling canned bacon an MRE has to be an error... it's definitely not
> ready to eat, it's only minimally processsed, right out of the can it
> still needs to be cooked. Â*Even grits lovin' hillybillys from the deep
> south wouldn't eat petrified bacon straight from the can.- Hide quoted text -

I certainly wasn't equating canned bacon with MREs. I probably should
have read the OP more closely. I thought he was saying that canned
bacon was a new thing, and I pointed out that it wasn't new. I don't
know MREs, other than what I've seen on documentary and news programs.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://gizmodo.com/5012656/canned-ba...-heart-failure...

>>> I got news for you - back in the day (the 50s and 60s), we ALWAYS
>>> took commercially canned raw bacon in cans to our fishing camp in
>>> Minnesota - refrigeration wasn't needed - it tasted as good as any
>>> refrigerator- case bacon from the supermarket - it was great for
>>> that purpose!

>>> It ain't new. ;-)

>>> N.

>> MRE's are certainly not "new", as indicated in the original post.
>> ?Although why someone would be eating MRE's in 2008 is beyond me.
>> ?They do have a great shelf life LOL

> Calling canned bacon an MRE has to be an error... it's definitely not
> ready to eat, it's only minimally processsed, right out of the can it
> still needs to be cooked. Even grits lovin' hillybillys from the deep
> south wouldn't eat petrified bacon straight from the can.

Since you're actually replying to posts replying to me, I'll say this: my
father ate more C-Rats than he did MRE's.

C-Ration, Revised (1948-1958)
After the failure of the E-Ration, there were several improvements made on
the basic C-ration. Most involved ration variety and content, different
sizes and shapes of cans, and improverments in packaging. The C-ration
series was eventually phased out and replaced by the Meal, Combat,
Individual ration in 1958.

Sample C-4 Ration Contents
A sample C-4 ration (stamped March 1954) contained:

a.. 1 Instruction sheet
b.. 2 Cheese bars (1.5 net ounces)
c.. 2 "Cereal Class 5" bars (1.5 net ounces)
d.. 3 Type XII Style 1 Enriched chocolate bar (1 ounce)
e.. 1 "Jelly Bar" (2 ounces)
f.. 2 "Fruit Cake Bars" (2 ounces)
g.. 3 sticks Topps peppermint chewing gum
h.. 3 Domino sugar packets
i.. 2 Nestea "soluble tea product"
j.. 1 Pure soluble sugar
k.. 1 "Soluble cream product"
l.. 1 bottle Water Purification Tablets, Individual, Iodine
m.. 1 plastic bag

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote on Wed, 4 Jun 2008 13:14:38 -0500:

> C-Ration, Revised (1948-1958)
> After the failure of the E-Ration, there were several
> improvements made on the basic C-ration. Most involved ration
> variety and content, different sizes and shapes of cans, and
> improverments in packaging. The C-ration series was eventually
> phased out and replaced by the Meal, Combat, Individual ration
> in 1958.

As a small child in Britain in 1945, I appreciated the cans of
sausages packed in grease, which were available to US personnel
and were sometimes provided as gifts. Unlike British sausages of
the time, they were made from meat and had some taste.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 2:14�pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:

> Can:http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...-heart-failure...

> >> MRE's are certainly not "new", as indicated in the original post.
> >> ?Although why someone would be eating MRE's in 2008 is beyond me.
> >> ?They do have a great shelf life LOL

> > Calling canned bacon an MRE has to be an error... it's definitely not
> > ready to eat, it's only minimally processsed, right out of the can it
> > still needs to be cooked. �Even grits lovin' hillybillys from the deep
> > south wouldn't eat petrified bacon straight from the can.

> Since you're actually replying to posts replying to me, I'll say this: my
> father ate more C-Rats than he did MRE's.
>
> C-Ration, Revised (1948-1958)
> After the failure of the E-Ration, there were several improvements made on
> the basic C-ration. Most involved ration variety and content, different
> sizes and shapes of cans, and improverments in packaging. The C-ration
> series was eventually phased out and replaced by the Meal, Combat,
> Individual ration in 1958.
>
> Sample C-4 Ration Contents
> A sample C-4 ration (stamped March 1954) contained:
>
> � a.. 1 Instruction sheet
> � b.. 2 Cheese bars (1.5 net ounces)
> � c.. 2 "Cereal Class 5" bars (1.5 net ounces)
> � d.. 3 Type XII Style 1 Enriched chocolate bar (1 ounce)
> � e.. 1 "Jelly Bar" (2 ounces)
> � f.. 2 "Fruit Cake Bars" (2 ounces)
> � g.. 3 sticks Topps peppermint chewing gum
> � h.. 3 Domino sugar packets
> � i.. 2 Nestea "soluble tea product"
> � j.. 1 Pure soluble sugar
> � k.. 1 "Soluble cream product"
> � l.. 1 bottle Water Purification Tablets, Individual, Iodine
> � m.. 1 plastic bag.

I don't see what that has to do with canned bacon. Btw, C rations
also contained cigarettes and matches
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>>>

> Can:http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...80%C2%99s-Cele...
> http://gizmodo.com/5012656/canned-ba...-heart-failure...

>>> MRE's are certainly not "new", as indicated in the original post.
>>> ?Although why someone would be eating MRE's in 2008 is beyond me.
>>> ?They do have a great shelf life LOL

>> Calling canned bacon an MRE has to be an error... it's definitely not
>> ready to eat, it's only minimally processsed, right out of the can it
>> still needs to be cooked. Even grits lovin' hillybillys from the deep
>> south wouldn't eat petrified bacon straight from the can.

> Since you're actually replying to posts replying to me, I'll say this: my
> father ate more C-Rats than he did MRE's.
>
> C-Ration, Revised (1948-1958)
> After the failure of the E-Ration, there were several improvements made on
> the basic C-ration. Most involved ration variety and content, different
> sizes and shapes of cans, and improverments in packaging. The C-ration
> series was eventually phased out and replaced by the Meal, Combat,
> Individual ration in 1958.

still called C-rats up until the MRE's came out, which was after my
time. I ate a ton of C-rats in the fifties and sixties. Loved the ham
and lima beans, call ham and mothas by the troops. We also had Lurps,
aka freeze dried meals from, I think, Mountain Home, California. Eat a
handful of freeze dried food, slurp some water from the old aluminum
canteen, and get your belly full fast.

> Sample C-4 Ration Contents
> A sample C-4 ration (stamped March 1954) contained:
>
> a.. 1 Instruction sheet
> b.. 2 Cheese bars (1.5 net ounces)
> c.. 2 "Cereal Class 5" bars (1.5 net ounces)
> d.. 3 Type XII Style 1 Enriched chocolate bar (1 ounce)
> e.. 1 "Jelly Bar" (2 ounces)
> f.. 2 "Fruit Cake Bars" (2 ounces)
> g.. 3 sticks Topps peppermint chewing gum
> h.. 3 Domino sugar packets
> i.. 2 Nestea "soluble tea product"
> j.. 1 Pure soluble sugar
> k.. 1 "Soluble cream product"
> l.. 1 bottle Water Purification Tablets, Individual, Iodine
> m.. 1 plastic bag

And don't forget the little packet of dried out cigarettes, four each.
And the little package of charms candy. The C-rats leftover from WWII we
were opening in the mid-fifties didn't have any Nestea product that I
ever saw, mostly some nasty instant coffee. Most of that stuff was dated
from 1943 until 1945. The Navy ate up a lot of it in chow halls along
the eastern seaboard by mixing the meals together and then serving them.
Nasty stuff mostly. I was a smoker then and you had to rehydrate the
cigarettes by putting them in a Prince Albert tin with a little piece of
apple. If you just tried to smoke them they burned so fast they would
take out your nose hairs. Kinda "whoosh." One puff only.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jun 4, 12:43*pm, "l, not -l" > wrote:
> On *4-Jun-2008, George Shirley > wrote:
>
> > still called C-rats up until the MRE's came out, which was after my
> > time. I ate a ton of C-rats in the fifties and sixties. Loved the ham
> > and lima beans, call ham and mothas by the troops. We also had Lurps,
> > aka freeze dried meals from, I think, Mountain Home, California. Eat a
> > handful of freeze dried food, slurp some water from the old aluminum
> > canteen, and get your belly full fast.

> I too loved the ham and limas, especially when I had saved a tin of
> smoke-flavored cheese to stir into it, when I was able to heat them.

Ham and m-f's have come up here before, but not the good idea of
mixing cheese in. Here's what I posted some years ago:

"Of the 24 meals in a case of C-rations (Korean war vintage, still
eaten in
Vietnam) ham and lima beans was widely regarded as the least
popular.
Probably because it was terrible: tiny bits of very salty ham, the
largest, starchiest, driest lima beans possible. Even the
omnipresent
Louisiana red hot sauce couldn't salvage it. Hence the insulting
nickname.
Some historian/demographer will someday do a dissertation on why
soldiers
from South Carolina liked it. "

Are you guys from South Carolina? -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> On Jun 4, 12:43 pm, "l, not -l" > wrote:
>> On 4-Jun-2008, George Shirley > wrote:
>>
>>> still called C-rats up until the MRE's came out, which was after my
>>> time. I ate a ton of C-rats in the fifties and sixties. Loved the ham
>>> and lima beans, call ham and mothas by the troops. We also had Lurps,
>>> aka freeze dried meals from, I think, Mountain Home, California. Eat a
>>> handful of freeze dried food, slurp some water from the old aluminum
>>> canteen, and get your belly full fast.

>> I too loved the ham and limas, especially when I had saved a tin of
>> smoke-flavored cheese to stir into it, when I was able to heat them.
>>

> Ham and m-f's have come up here before, but not the good idea of
> mixing cheese in. Here's what I posted some years ago:
>
> "Of the 24 meals in a case of C-rations (Korean war vintage, still
> eaten in
> Vietnam) ham and lima beans was widely regarded as the least
> popular.
> Probably because it was terrible: tiny bits of very salty ham, the
> largest, starchiest, driest lima beans possible. Even the
> omnipresent
> Louisiana red hot sauce couldn't salvage it. Hence the insulting
> nickname.
> Some historian/demographer will someday do a dissertation on why
> soldiers
> from South Carolina liked it. "
>
> Are you guys from South Carolina? -aem

Nope, I'm a Texican, having lima beans, sausage, and cornbread for
supper tonight. Love my MoFo's.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jun 4, 3:07*pm, "l, not -l" > wrote:
> From my experience, the least popular meal was the canned eggs; far more
> often than eating them, we used them for heat and light. *When in a rear
> area, we'd steal a bit of kerosene or gasoline from generators and jeeps,
> open a can of eggs, chop them up real good and pour a bit of fuel into the
> can and set it on fire. *Next best thing to sterno; the eggs kept the fuel
> from running all over if the can was accidently knocked over.
> --

Ham and eggs, chopped, I think it was called. Much improved with hot
sauce, could be combined with the canned bread, certainly not good no
matter what you did. For small heat and light we just burned
C-4.....That was really handy stuff. I've often wished there were a
civilian source for it. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
>> I remember back in the late 60s my parents used to occasionally get Danish bacon in a can. I don't know where they got it, and I have never seen it, but it was pretty good.
>>

> Yeah, that's the stuff, "Danish bacon." I don't know if they still
> sell it or not. I haven't been to a fishing camp in decades.
>
> N.

My mother bought some of that occasionally and it was WONDERFUL!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

>>> MRE's are certainly not "new", as indicated in the original post.
>>> ?Although why someone would be eating MRE's in 2008 is beyond me.
>>> ?They do have a great shelf life LOL

>> Calling canned bacon an MRE has to be an error... it's definitely not
>> ready to eat, it's only minimally processsed, right out of the can it
>> still needs to be cooked. Even grits lovin' hillybillys from the deep
>> south wouldn't eat petrified bacon straight from the can.

> Since you're actually replying to posts replying to me, I'll say this: my
> father ate more C-Rats than he did MRE's.

Did I miss something here? I thought we were discussing canned bacon?
How did MREs and C-rations come into this?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
On Jun 4, 3:07 pm, "l, not -l" > wrote:
> From my experience, the least popular meal was the canned eggs; far more
> often than eating them, we used them for heat and light. When in a rear
> area, we'd steal a bit of kerosene or gasoline from generators and jeeps,
> open a can of eggs, chop them up real good and pour a bit of fuel into the
> can and set it on fire. Next best thing to sterno; the eggs kept the fuel
> from running all over if the can was accidently knocked over.
> --

Ham and eggs, chopped, I think it was called. Much improved with hot
sauce, could be combined with the canned bread, certainly not good no
matter what you did. For small heat and light we just burned
C-4.....That was really handy stuff. I've often wished there were a
civilian source for it. -aem

Heh, I'd almost forgotten that. We used to break open a claymore every now
and then to heat our rations.

Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 21:23:22 -0400, Goomba
> wrote:

>Nancy2 wrote:
>>> I remember back in the late 60s my parents used to occasionally get Danish bacon in a can. I don't know where they got it, and I have never seen it, but it was pretty good.
>>>

>> Yeah, that's the stuff, "Danish bacon." I don't know if they still
>> sell it or not. I haven't been to a fishing camp in decades.
>>
>> N.

>My mother bought some of that occasionally and it was WONDERFUL!

Howdy,

Check: http://www.canned-bacon.com/ for some possibilities.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

>>> Calling canned bacon an MRE has to be an error... it's definitely
>>> not ready to eat, it's only minimally processsed, right out of the
>>> can it still needs to be cooked. Even grits lovin' hillybillys
>>> from the deep south wouldn't eat petrified bacon straight from the
>>> can.

>> Since you're actually replying to posts replying to me, I'll say
>> this: my father ate more C-Rats than he did MRE's.

> Did I miss something here? I thought we were discussing canned bacon?
> How did MREs and C-rations come into this?

MRE's/canned Bacon WAS the original post. Read for a little comprehension,
Goomba, maybe follow the thread? rather than act as a possibly OT seeking
missile. Sheesh!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> MRE's/canned Bacon WAS the original post. Read for a little comprehension,
> Goomba, maybe follow the thread? rather than act as a possibly OT seeking
> missile. Sheesh!
>
> Jill

You thought the original post was about MREs because the company selling
the product is called MREdepot? Canned bacon was the topic, not the
name of the store selling one type.
Just like Dave Smith mentioned, my parents occasionally came into
possession of cans of Danish bacon. From Denmark. It was wonderfully
flavored stuff. Hard to imagine it came from a can, actually? It had
nothing to do with MREs. I wonder if Denmark was in the MRE business
back in the 70s?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> MRE's/canned Bacon WAS the original post. Read for a little
>> comprehension, Goomba, maybe follow the thread? rather than act as a
>> possibly OT seeking missile. Sheesh!
>>

> You thought the original post was about MREs because the company
> selling the product is called MREdepot?

I didn't see the original post or even the first reply because I have Google
posts blocked. But canned bacon as and c-rats is what the thread morphed
into and that's, duh, FOOD. Hello? How much more on topic would you like
it to get?! Good lord woman, get over your fear of something that might be
slightly OT! It's an obsession with you.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Goomba wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> MRE's/canned Bacon WAS the original post. Read for a little
>>> comprehension, Goomba, maybe follow the thread? rather than act as a
>>> possibly OT seeking missile. Sheesh!
>>>

>> You thought the original post was about MREs because the company
>> selling the product is called MREdepot?

> I didn't see the original post or even the first reply because I have Google
> posts blocked. But canned bacon as and c-rats is what the thread morphed
> into and that's, duh, FOOD. Hello? How much more on topic would you like
> it to get?! Good lord woman, get over your fear of something that might be
> slightly OT! It's an obsession with you.
>
> Jill

Jill, what the hell are you babbling about? I never mentioned a thing
about "OT" on this thread. I posted that I thought danish canned bacon
was good.
Go to www.deja.com and read this thread from the start and please point
out to me where I ever said this topic was OT?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Goomba wrote:

>>> You thought the original post was about MREs because the company
>>> selling the product is called MREdepot?

>> I didn't see the original post or even the first reply because I
>> have Google posts blocked. But canned bacon as and c-rats is what
>> the thread morphed into and that's, duh, FOOD. Hello? How much
>> more on topic would you like it to get?! Good lord woman, get over
>> your fear of something that might be slightly OT! It's an obsession
>> with you.
>>
>> Jill

> Jill, what the hell are you babbling about? I never mentioned a thing
> about "OT" on this thread. I posted that I thought danish canned bacon
> was good.
> Go to www.deja.com and read this thread from the start and please
> point out to me where I ever said this topic was OT?

deja dot com is not necessary since I don't use Google as my newsreader.
Don't make me revamp the entire thread. Sheesh! You questioned my mention
of MRE's which is what brought canned bacon up in the first place. Which
led to c-rats. Come on! Can't you follow the thread?!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Goomba wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> I didn't see the original post or even the first reply because I
>>> have Google posts blocked. But canned bacon as and c-rats is what
>>> the thread morphed into and that's, duh, FOOD. Hello? How much
>>> more on topic would you like it to get?! Good lord woman, get over
>>> your fear of something that might be slightly OT! It's an obsession
>>> with you.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Jill, what the hell are you babbling about? I never mentioned a thing
>> about "OT" on this thread. I posted that I thought danish canned bacon
>> was good.
>> Go to www.deja.com and read this thread from the start and please
>> point out to me where I ever said this topic was OT?

> deja dot com is not necessary since I don't use Google as my newsreader.
> Don't make me revamp the entire thread. Sheesh! You questioned my mention
> of MRE's which is what brought canned bacon up in the first place. Which
> led to c-rats. Come on! Can't you follow the thread?!

You're deliberately obfuscating this by not bothering to check your
error via dejanews (which has nothing to do with your newsreader, but as
a simple source of archives) NEVER in this thread did I suggest anything
was OT.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> You thought the original post was about MREs because the company selling
> the product is called MREdepot? Canned bacon was the topic, not the
> name of the store selling one type.
> Just like Dave Smith mentioned, my parents occasionally came into
> possession of cans of Danish bacon. From Denmark. It was wonderfully
> flavored stuff. Hard to imagine it came from a can, actually? It had
> nothing to do with MREs. I wonder if Denmark was in the MRE business
> back in the 70s?

I am going to be in Denmark in two weeks. I will see if it is still available
there. I don't know if I will bother to buy any because I can get really good
bacon from a local butcher, and at a very good price.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Goomba wrote:

>>> Jill, what the hell are you babbling about? I never mentioned a
>>> thing about "OT" on this thread. I posted that I thought danish
>>> canned bacon was good.
>>> Go to www.deja.com and read this thread from the start and please
>>> point out to me where I ever said this topic was OT?

>> deja dot com is not necessary since I don't use Google as my
>> newsreader. Don't make me revamp the entire thread. Sheesh! You
>> questioned my mention of MRE's which is what brought canned bacon up
>> in the first place. Which led to c-rats. Come on! Can't you
>> follow the thread?!

> You're deliberately obfuscating this by not bothering to check your
> error via dejanews (which has nothing to do with your newsreader, but
> as a simple source of archives) NEVER in this thread did I suggest
> anything was OT.

ThenWTF are you complaining about? We're talking about canned bacon! As
available in MREs and c-rats. So the thread morphed; oh dear! Maybe YOU
should check deja-news.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> >> Calling canned bacon an MRE has to be an error... it's definitely not
> >> ready to eat, it's only minimally processsed, right out of the can it
> >> still needs to be cooked. Even grits lovin' hillybillys from the deep
> >> south wouldn't eat petrified bacon straight from the can.

> > Since you're actually replying to posts replying to me, I'll say this: my
> > father ate more C-Rats than he did MRE's.

> Did I miss something here? I thought we were discussing canned bacon?
> How did MREs and C-rations come into this?

Whatever you do, Goomba, don't accuse Jill of DWP (drunk while posting).
She doesn't like that.

The original post cited a store with MRE in their name, and who appears
to sell MREs, among other things. The item cited was fully cooked bacon
in cans. The second post brought up uncooked canned bacon. We used to
eat this when I was a kid. It would in fact be great for camping, as it
required no refrigeration. It tasted fine to me, just like any cheap
bacon.

I think it's just thread drift.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >,
> Goomba > wrote:

>>> Since you're actually replying to posts replying to me, I'll say
>>> this: my father ate more C-Rats than he did MRE's.

>> Did I miss something here? I thought we were discussing canned bacon?
>> How did MREs and C-rations come into this?

> Whatever you do, Goomba, don't accuse Jill of DWP (drunk while
> posting). She doesn't like that.

Oh **** off, Dan! You don't know a thing about me! and the OP (who is
using GOOGLE therefore I can't see him/her) talked about MRE's. I don't
know about some stupid MRE store since I didn't see the original post.
Sheesh. Get over the drinking thing.

> I think it's just thread drift.

Uh, YEAH.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> MRE's/canned Bacon WAS the original post. Read for a little
>> comprehension, Goomba, maybe follow the thread? rather than act as a
>> possibly OT seeking missile. Sheesh!
>>
>> Jill
>>

> You thought the original post was about MREs because the company
> selling the product is called MREdepot? Canned bacon was the topic

Specifically I saw:

"That was your onlyhope of cripness" Cripe! We took it to another level!
Sheesh.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> MRE's/canned Bacon WAS the original post. Read for a little comprehension,
>> Goomba, maybe follow the thread? rather than act as a possibly OT seeking
>> missile. Sheesh!
>>
>> Jill
>>

> You thought the original post was about MREs because the company selling
> the product is called MREdepot? Canned bacon was the topic, not the
> name of the store selling one type.
> Just like Dave Smith mentioned, my parents occasionally came into
> possession of cans of Danish bacon. From Denmark. It was wonderfully
> flavored stuff. Hard to imagine it came from a can, actually? It had
> nothing to do with MREs. I wonder if Denmark was in the MRE business
> back in the 70s?

Party last night? Danish bacon this morning!

http://www.dbmc.co.uk/bacon_facts/bacon_bites_index.asp

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
>> Goomba wrote:

>>> You thought the original post was about MREs because the company
>>> selling the product is called MREdepot?

>> I didn't see the original post or even the first reply because I have
>> Google posts blocked. But canned bacon as and c-rats is what the thread
>> morphed into and that's, duh, FOOD. Hello? How much more on topic
>> would you like it to get?! Good lord woman, get over your fear of
>> something that might be slightly OT! It's an obsession with you.
>>
>> Jill

> Jill, what the hell are you babbling about? I never mentioned a thing
> about "OT" on this thread. I posted that I thought danish canned bacon was
> good.
> Go to www.deja.com and read this thread from the start and please point
> out to me where I ever said this topic was OT?

deja? Good heavens. Google bought that years ago. It just redirects to
Google. Why go through the deja redirect?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

>> Go to www.deja.com and read this thread from the start and please point
>> out to me where I ever said this topic was OT?

> deja? Good heavens. Google bought that years ago. It just redirects to
> Google. Why go through the deja redirect?

lol, habit.
But the point remained the same... her claimed ignorance of previous
posts could be cured by checking it out again from the beginning. And
she would have seen that at no time did I mention something being OT.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>>> Go to www.deja.com and read this thread from the start and please point
>>> out to me where I ever said this topic was OT?

>> deja? Good heavens. Google bought that years ago. It just redirects to
>> Google. Why go through the deja redirect?
>>

> lol, habit.

Righhht.

Ugh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 1:52Â*pm, Sheldon > wrote:
> On Jun 4, 1:35�pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>

> > Nancy2 wrote:

> > Can:http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...80%C2%99s-Cele......

> > > I got news for you - back in the day (the 50s and 60s), we ALWAYS took
> > > commercially canned raw bacon in cans to our fishing camp in Minnesota
> > > - refrigeration wasn't needed - it tasted as good as any refrigerator-
> > > case bacon from the supermarket - it was great for that purpose!

> > > It ain't new. ;-)

> > > N.

> > MRE's are certainly not "new", as indicated in the original post. �Although
> > why someone would be eating MRE's in 2008 is beyond me. �They do have a
> > great shelf life LOL

> Calling canned bacon an MRE has to be an error... it's definitely not
> ready to eat, it's only minimally processsed, right out of the can it
> still needs to be cooked. Â*Even grits lovin' hillybillys from the deep
> south wouldn't eat petrified bacon straight from the can.- Hide quoted text -

Actually, the yoders canned bacon that is carried at Ready Depot ,
www.readydepot.com , is most certainly ready to eat out of the can. I
took 2 cans camping last weekend and I have to tell this stuff is
great. Its fully cooked, about 75% of the way to crisp. You can of
course through it in a pan and crisp it up if you want. Every bacon
lovin person should have a case on their shelf.

here is the page line: http://www.readydepot.com/servlet/th...ned/Categories
Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

It took a while to connect all the neurons......

The bacon-in-a-can was DAK ( Danish )

Folded, raw, wrapped in wax paper, 1 lb cans.
It was the all-round campers mainstay.

I'm not sure they make it any more.

--
<rj>