Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default For Sky: More Bacon

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> > Sky, try using a deep fryer for bacon some time.
> > Several strips take 2 minutes each to fry to crispy goodness, and it's a
> > LOT less hassle and mess.
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Now that's an idea! Thanks, Om. Admittedly, I've never tried to
> deep-fry bacon before - it just never occurred to me. Considering as
> much bacon as I cook at any given time, I wonder how the increasing
> amount of rendered bacon fat/grease would effect (or is that affect???
> <G>) the original cooking oil used for the deep fry?

It cooks the fat OUT of the bacon. If you cook enough at one time, the
deep fryer needs to be bailed! The nice thing is that, if you preserve
it, it flavors the deep fry oil nicely for other things, if you like
bacon flavor.

> Doesn't take much
> to get the bacon grease smoking, does it. The only times I've ever bake
> bacon is when I use a few strips at the time as 'automatic basters' for
> chicken breasts or pork tenderloins. For many years, I've cooked bacon
> on the stove in a skillet, turning & flipping the slices as needed.
> Spouse too.

IMHO, it's a pain in the ass. <g>

> Sky, whose dutch oven multi-tasks as the deep fryer

I have a small fry daddy. Holds 4 cups of peanut oil and works
fantabulous for bacon. Much much less messy and work intensive than
using the cast iron skillet. Only drawback is that it's not flat:

http://i40.tinypic.com/v80lrp.jpg

Those are duck eggs and gingered carrots on the side with sesame seeds...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Sky > wrote:
>
> > > Sky, try using a deep fryer for bacon some time.
> > > Several strips take 2 minutes each to fry to crispy goodness, and it's a
> > > LOT less hassle and mess.
> > > --
> > > Peace! Om

> > Now that's an idea! Thanks, Om. Admittedly, I've never tried to
> > deep-fry bacon before - it just never occurred to me. Considering as
> > much bacon as I cook at any given time, I wonder how the increasing
> > amount of rendered bacon fat/grease would effect (or is that affect???
> > <G>) the original cooking oil used for the deep fry?

> It cooks the fat OUT of the bacon. If you cook enough at one time, the
> deep fryer needs to be bailed! The nice thing is that, if you preserve
> it, it flavors the deep fry oil nicely for other things, if you like
> bacon flavor.
>
> > Doesn't take much
> > to get the bacon grease smoking, does it. The only times I've ever bake
> > bacon is when I use a few strips at the time as 'automatic basters' for
> > chicken breasts or pork tenderloins. For many years, I've cooked bacon
> > on the stove in a skillet, turning & flipping the slices as needed.
> > Spouse too.

> IMHO, it's a pain in the ass. <g>
>

> > Sky, whose dutch oven multi-tasks as the deep fryer

> I have a small fry daddy. Holds 4 cups of peanut oil and works
> fantabulous for bacon. Much much less messy and work intensive than
> using the cast iron skillet. Only drawback is that it's not flat:
>
> http://i40.tinypic.com/v80lrp.jpg
>
> Those are duck eggs and gingered carrots on the side with sesame seeds...
> --
> Peace! Om

Just cooking bacon renders most of the fat/grease out of it. Yeah,
makes sense the 'fryer' would have to get bailed out (duh!) <g>. Ah, I
was just looking at the carrots ;D That was before I read what they
were - hehhee. Double "ah" -- no wonder those fried eggs looked a
little 'goofy' I tried fried duck eggs once <-- keyword. They
weren't "eggsactly" bad when had a few tastes, but there was something
about the texture I didn't find appealing somehow. Definitely different
than chicken eggs!

Sky, who always has bacon grease on hand for flavoring !!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> > I have a small fry daddy. Holds 4 cups of peanut oil and works
> > fantabulous for bacon. Much much less messy and work intensive than
> > using the cast iron skillet. Only drawback is that it's not flat:
> >
> > http://i40.tinypic.com/v80lrp.jpg
> >
> > Those are duck eggs and gingered carrots on the side with sesame seeds...
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Just cooking bacon renders most of the fat/grease out of it. Yeah,
> makes sense the 'fryer' would have to get bailed out (duh!) <g>.

Indeed. <g> It's just that to many, deep frying bacon would seem to be
counter-productive. But it's not. It's far faster, easier and less messy
than pan frying! I dare anyone to try it.

> Ah, I
> was just looking at the carrots ;D That was before I read what they
> were - hehhee. Double "ah" -- no wonder those fried eggs looked a
> little 'goofy' I tried fried duck eggs once <-- keyword. They
> weren't "eggsactly" bad when had a few tastes, but there was something
> about the texture I didn't find appealing somehow. Definitely different
> than chicken eggs!

They tend to be a bit firmer. An acquired taste. Muscovie eggs. I no
longer have ducks but the yolk to white ration was greater.

> Sky, who always has bacon grease on hand for flavoring !!

It has it's uses... <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

BACON jam......... Virginia Tadrzynski[_2_] Preserving 11 13-12-2010 02:42 AM
Bacon In A Can -bwg General Cooking 40 22-06-2008 01:59 AM
REAL Canadian Bacon - Back Bacon - Peameal Bacon Online. [email protected] General Cooking 1 15-09-2007 04:41 PM
a bacon butty a bacon sarnie or The Ultimate Bacon Sandwich phillip.skinner General Cooking 38 14-08-2006 11:01 AM