Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Real vs. "light/whipped" frosting/icing question

Hi everyone,

I have a basic question about cake frosting/icing. For a few years now, I've
noticed that many bakeries use a cake frosting/icing that takes more like
someone put whipped cream on the cake, rather than the rich taste of
traditional cake frosting (eg. Betty Crocker) that is found on grocery store
shelves.

I find the cakes look beautiful, but taste rather bland. To me, I prefer the
taste of traditional, rich tasting cake frosting.

What is the lighter frosting that resembles whipped cream called? I'm sure
it probably has less calories than the rich stuff, but to me, if I'm
watching calories, I'm not gonna eat cake in the first place. <g>

I've done some research, and found a company called "Rich's Bettercreme",
but have no idea if they produce the bland, "whip cream" variety or not.

Sorry if this post is vague. Any way to tell if a bakery makes cakes in the
traditional way or with the "lighter" stuff? This issue was brought to mind
again, when I tasted a cake with the traditional, richer chocolate frosting,
and it tasted absolutely divine, no other word to describe it.

Thanks for any info.

Larry

Posted to rec.food.baking

>What is the lighter frosting that resembles whipped cream called? I'm sure
>it probably has less calories than the rich stuff, but to me, if I'm
>watching calories, I'm not gonna eat cake in the first place. <g>

There are two kinds
powdered whipped topping where you just add water or milk
Its made of ,sugar,hardened palm kernel oil (HPKO),milk replacer,
aerating emulsifiers( either alone or a combination of Acetem,GLP,
PGME, polysorbate),some gums likeCMC and HPMC, MC..

Or liquid whipping cream replacer made with HPKO instead of dairy
fat, along with cream stablizerrs like carrageenan,
alginate,emulsifiers.
Usually from bakeries
Chances are its the latter as its cheaper.

Posted to rec.food.baking

Larry, You are probably right that it is Rich's Bettercreme. The
bakeries get it as a liquid and then whip to the consistancy of
frosting. It is more stable than whipped cream and people like it
because it has a whipped cream consistancy.

Oleta