Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Drank "Moxie" - and an icing query

Host of dinner party broke out a bottle - no idea how long he's owned
it - fortunately, I asked for lots of ice so he could stretch it a bit
more. Good thing - I had less to nurse. What IS that strange
aftertaste? I hadn't tasted it in years and had forgotten. Ugh. I'm
surprised it ever was a hi, but I did get it down.

Another guest brought the dessert - lovely cake with a light textured,
white frosting. Couldn't get the recipe tho out of her - she said it
was healthy and made with mandarin oranges - about the consistency of
sour cream - I suspect yogurt and light cream cheese? Anyone have any
idea on what this recipe could have been?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Host of dinner party broke out a bottle - no idea how long he's owned>
> it - fortunately, I asked for lots of ice so he could stretch it a bit>
> more. Good thing - I had less to nurse. What IS that strange>
> aftertaste? I hadn't tasted it in years and had forgotten. Ugh. I'm
> surprised it ever was a hi, but I did get it down.

I love Moxie. I have since I was a toddler. It's herby and bitter. I wish
I could say more for me, but Lisbon, ME is far away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/11/2010 12:02 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> Host of dinner party broke out a bottle - no idea how long he's owned
> it - fortunately, I asked for lots of ice so he could stretch it a bit
> more. Good thing - I had less to nurse. What IS that strange
> aftertaste? I hadn't tasted it in years and had forgotten. Ugh. I'm
> surprised it ever was a hi, but I did get it down.
>
> Another guest brought the dessert - lovely cake with a light textured,
> white frosting. Couldn't get the recipe tho out of her - she said it
> was healthy and made with mandarin oranges - about the consistency of
> sour cream - I suspect yogurt and light cream cheese? Anyone have any
> idea on what this recipe could have been?

I think you can still buy Moxie on line, remember seeing one of those
"food" shows on the History channel talking about some guy selling all
the retro cold drinks. Expensive stuff too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley > wrote:

>I think you can still buy Moxie on line, remember seeing one of those
>"food" shows on the History channel talking about some guy selling all
>the retro cold drinks. Expensive stuff too.

My father (born 1912) related that originally, Moxie contained
a strong stimulant, stronger than caffeine. What exactly it
was is uncertain. (Probably not cocaine, as I believe that was
already illegal in soft drinks by that point.)

So in any case, whatever you're buying now is not real Moxie.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 18:44:04 +0000 (UTC),
(Steve Pope) wrote:

> So in any case, whatever you're buying now is not real Moxie.

Neither is Coke made with the real thing anymore, but that doesn't
stop people from buying it anyway.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 11, 12:47*pm, George Shirley > wrote:
> On 6/11/2010 12:02 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>
> > Host of dinner party broke out a bottle - no idea how long he's owned
> > it - fortunately, I asked for lots of ice so he could stretch it a bit
> > more. *Good thing - I had less to nurse. *What *IS that strange
> > aftertaste? *I hadn't tasted it in years and had forgotten. *Ugh. *I'm
> > surprised it ever was a hi, but I did get it down.

> > Another guest brought the dessert - lovely cake with a light textured,
> > white frosting. *Couldn't get the recipe tho out of her *- she said it
> > was healthy and made with mandarin oranges - about the consistency of
> > sour cream - I suspect yogurt and light cream cheese? *Anyone have any
> > idea on what this recipe could have been?

> I think you can still buy Moxie on line, remember seeing one of those
> "food" shows on the History channel talking about some guy selling all
> the retro cold drinks. Expensive stuff too.

You can buy it on Amazon for about twenty bucks a six pack. Plus
shipping, of course. That's a lot to spend for something that
tastes... different.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/11/2010 1:44 PM, Steve Pope wrote:
> George > wrote:
>
>> I think you can still buy Moxie on line, remember seeing one of those
>> "food" shows on the History channel talking about some guy selling all
>> the retro cold drinks. Expensive stuff too.

> My father (born 1912) related that originally, Moxie contained
> a strong stimulant, stronger than caffeine. What exactly it
> was is uncertain. (Probably not cocaine, as I believe that was
> already illegal in soft drinks by that point.)
>
> So in any case, whatever you're buying now is not real Moxie.
>
> Steve

The law that outlawed cocaine, pot and heroin, to the best of my
knowledge came into being in 1934. Coca Cola was originally made with
cocaine in it. Lydia Pinkhams medicine for feminine vapors had alcohol
and heroin in it.

There's no telling what was in a great many of the cold drinks, elixirs,
and other snake oil products until 1934.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley > wrote:

>On 6/11/2010 1:44 PM, Steve Pope wrote:

>> My father (born 1912) related that originally, Moxie contained
>> a strong stimulant, stronger than caffeine. What exactly it
>> was is uncertain. (Probably not cocaine, as I believe that was
>> already illegal in soft drinks by that point.)

>The law that outlawed cocaine, pot and heroin, to the best of my
>knowledge came into being in 1934.

Thanks. In this case, the Moxie during my father's childhood
might have had cocaine in it.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>>On 6/11/2010 1:44 PM, Steve Pope wrote:

>>> My father (born 1912) related that originally, Moxie contained
>>> a strong stimulant, stronger than caffeine. What exactly it
>>> was is uncertain. (Probably not cocaine, as I believe that was
>>> already illegal in soft drinks by that point.)

>>The law that outlawed cocaine, pot and heroin, to the best of my
>>knowledge came into being in 1934.

> Thanks. In this case, the Moxie during my father's childhood
> might have had cocaine in it.
>
> Steve

No mention of it in Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moxie

Moxie originated as a patent medicine called "Moxie Nerve Food,"[1] which
was created around 1876 by Dr. Augustin Thompson. Thompson claimed that it
contained an extract from a rare, unnamed South American plant, which had
supposedly been discovered by a friend of his, Lieutenant Moxie,[1] who had
used it as a panacea. Moxie, he claimed, was especially effective against
"paralysis, softening of the brain, nervousness, and insomnia."[1]

After a few years, Thompson added soda water to the formula and changed the
product's name to "Beverage Moxie Nerve Food." By 1884 he was selling Moxie
both in bottles and in bulk as a soda fountain syrup. He marketed it as "a
delicious blend of bitter and sweet, a drink to satisfy everyone's
taste."[2]

President Calvin Coolidge was known to favor the drink, and Boston Red Sox
slugger Ted Williams endorsed it on radio and in print. The company also
marketed a beverage called "Ted's Root Beer" in the early sixties. Author E.
B. White once claimed that "Moxie contains gentian root, which is the path
to the good life."[5] Currently, one of the ingredients of Moxie is "Gentian
Root Extractives," which may contribute to the drink's unique flavor.[6]

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>> George Shirley > wrote:

>>>The law that outlawed cocaine, pot and heroin, to the best of my
>>>knowledge came into being in 1934.

>> Thanks. In this case, the Moxie during my father's childhood
>> might have had cocaine in it.

>No mention of it in Wikipedia
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moxie

>Moxie originated as a patent medicine called "Moxie Nerve Food,"[1] which
>was created around 1876 by Dr. Augustin Thompson. Thompson claimed that it
>contained an extract from a rare, unnamed South American plant, which had
>supposedly been discovered by a friend of his, Lieutenant Moxie,[1] who had
>used it as a panacea. Moxie, he claimed, was especially effective against
>"paralysis, softening of the brain, nervousness, and insomnia."[1]

Hard to draw any conclusions from the above.

Who knows. This is probably lost to antiquity. But I have
no reason to doubt my father's account of the effects of the drink.

Steve