Posted to rec.food.baking
deepeddygirl

Default King Arthur Flour cookbook

I have a question about the KAF cookbook. I read the reviews on Amazon
and some people rave about it, while others complain that if you don't
use the KAF products, the recipes don't turn out. Does anyone here have
any experience with that?

TIA!
Posted to rec.food.baking
rebecca

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 01:12:12 GMT, deepeddygirl
> wrote:

>I have a question about the KAF cookbook. I read the reviews on Amazon
>and some people rave about it, while others complain that if you don't
>use the KAF products, the recipes don't turn out. Does anyone here have
>any experience with that?

The Baker's Companion one? I have it and haven't used it too
much--mainly for cookies, I think--but have had no problems using Gold
Medal flour.

--Rebecca
Posted to rec.food.baking
deepeddygirl

rebecca wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 01:12:12 GMT, deepeddygirl
> > wrote:
>

>>I have a question about the KAF cookbook. I read the reviews on Amazon
>>and some people rave about it, while others complain that if you don't
>>use the KAF products, the recipes don't turn out. Does anyone here have
>>any experience with that?

> The Baker's Companion one? I have it and haven't used it too
> much--mainly for cookies, I think--but have had no problems using Gold
> Medal flour.
>
> --Rebecca

Yep, that's the one! Thanks for the response.
Posted to rec.food.baking

I have two of King Arthur Flour books--the latest is KAF Baker's
Companion. I like it best. I have not had a problem using Gold Medal
Flour for KA flour. In fact, in this book, it does not specify the
company's products--e.g. many of the recipes call for unbleached
all-purpose flour, no specific brand is suggested. I use my Gold Medal
bread flour because that is what I have. I have not had any problems
with the quality of the baked goods.

I do have to make the same adjustments with their bread recipes that I
have to make with those from other books--namely, if the recipe says 4
to 5 cups of flour, I start with a scant 4 cups and add the rest of the
4 cups' worth if needed. This is because I live in the Southwest which
has a very dry climate. When I lived in the Pacific Northwest with its
high humidity, It always took the larger amount. This is/ was true with
any brand of flour.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Wendy

I use both the KAF and the cookie companion wihtout their products. My
stuff turns out fine. Wendy
> I have a question about the KAF cookbook. I read the reviews on Amazon
> and some people rave about it, while others complain that if you don't
> use the KAF products, the recipes don't turn out. Does anyone here have
> any experience with that?
>
> TIA!

then reply to the confirmation request.

11/29/2005