Fred Williams

Default Air bubbles in bread.

K, this is an embarrassed cry for help. I've been baking bread
for many years, but lately many of my loaves come out with large
air bubbles just under the top crust. Am I kneading too much, or
too little?
Maybe the bread is getting shaken just a little, because to warm
up the oven the grill comes on and I can't pan raise in the oven.
So I have to transfer fully raised loaves from the table and as
careful as I can be they get shaken just a bit. Also the problems
seems to be less what I bake bread with white flour. When I use
about a cup and a half of rolled oats and about 30% whole wheat
with a touch of molasses, I always seem to get big bubbles and
denser bread near the bottom. Years ago I used to make the same
recipe with no problem.
Advise would be appreciated.

--
Regards,
Fred.
Reg

Fred Williams wrote:

> K, this is an embarrassed cry for help. I've been baking bread
> for many years, but lately many of my loaves come out with large
> air bubbles just under the top crust. Am I kneading too much, or
> too little?

It's most likely overproofed. Shorten your final rise time
slightly. If the dough is a bit flabby by the time
you bake it you may get the large pockets you describe,
especially near the surface.

Fred Williams

On $DATE , Reg wrote:

> Fred Williams wrote:
>
>> K, this is an embarrassed cry for help. I've been
>> baking bread
>> for many years, but lately many of my loaves come out with large
>> air bubbles just under the top crust. Am I kneading too much,
>> or too little?

> It's most likely overproofed. Shorten your final rise time
> slightly. If the dough is a bit flabby by the time
> you bake it you may get the large pockets you describe,
> especially near the surface.

But then I get these tiny, dense loaves. I think I'd almost
rather have the air holes. There's got to be a better way doesn't
there?

--
Regards,
Fred.
(Please remove FFFf from my email address to reply, if by email)
Kenneth

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 20:28:13 GMT, Fred Williams
> wrote:

> K, this is an embarrassed cry for help. I've been baking bread
>for many years, but lately many of my loaves come out with large
>air bubbles just under the top crust. Am I kneading too much, or
>too little?
> Maybe the bread is getting shaken just a little, because to warm
>up the oven the grill comes on and I can't pan raise in the oven.
>So I have to transfer fully raised loaves from the table and as
>careful as I can be they get shaken just a bit. Also the problems
>seems to be less what I bake bread with white flour. When I use
>about a cup and a half of rolled oats and about 30% whole wheat
>with a touch of molasses, I always seem to get big bubbles and
>denser bread near the bottom. Years ago I used to make the same
>recipe with no problem.
> Advise would be appreciated.

Hi Fred,

What you are describing is often called "flying crust."

Two ways to improve the situation:

Increase the amount of liquid in the dough, and slash the
top just before baking.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Fred Williams

On $DATE , Kenneth wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 20:28:13 GMT, Fred Williams
> > wrote:
>
>> K, this is an embarrassed cry for help. I've been baking
>> bread
>>for many years, but lately many of my loaves come out with large
>>air bubbles just under the top crust. Am I kneading too much, or
>>too little?
>> Maybe the bread is getting shaken just a little, because
>> to warm
>>up the oven the grill comes on and I can't pan raise in the
>>oven. So I have to transfer fully raised loaves from the table
>>and as
>>careful as I can be they get shaken just a bit. Also the
>>problems
>>seems to be less what I bake bread with white flour. When I use
>>about a cup and a half of rolled oats and about 30% whole wheat
>>with a touch of molasses, I always seem to get big bubbles and
>>denser bread near the bottom. Years ago I used to make the same
>>recipe with no problem.
>> Advise would be appreciated.

> Hi Fred,
>
> What you are describing is often called "flying crust."
>
> Two ways to improve the situation:
>
> Increase the amount of liquid in the dough, and slash the
> top just before baking.
>
> All the best,

Ah! That is what I needed to hear. I'll do that with my next
batch. Thank-you.

Bubbles in Jam Joyce Preserving 11 04-09-2012 01:45 AM
Air bubbles justme(Karen) Preserving 2 18-09-2005 06:38 PM
Bubbles HUTCHNDI Sourdough 37 29-04-2005 07:45 PM
Bubbles HUTCHNDI Sourdough 0 22-04-2005 06:25 PM
Where's the bubbles? Vincent Winemaking 5 21-10-2003 03:16 AM