BW

Default question: "What's the thrill of baking?"

Can you help answer the question "What's the thrill of baking?"

I've made about 2 cakes, a handful of pizzas and the occasional batch
of biscuits in my life. I bought my mum a bread making machine last
Christmas which she was over the moon about. But have I ever been
thrilled the act of baking itself?

Maybe I was thrilled when I baked a chocolate cake from the River Café
cookbook. It turned out perfectly which made me very pleased with
myself, but the thrill was possibly in presenting it to an eager, and
very demanding audience, at my girlfriend's birthday dinner party I
was throwing. Was it the baking, the exhibitionism, art of creating. I
don't know, maybe all those things.

I am a research fellow at the Royal College of Art, England. As part
of my current work I'm trying to find out what thrills people, how and
why. I'm aiming to create a stimulating resource of material to
inspire new design work.

As part of the process, I'm taking time to travel across the Google
User Groups and read past articles about the thrill of that particular
interest. Some interesting past articles have popped up in R.F.B . I'd
like to know more about your experiences of thrill related in some way
to baking.

I invite anyone at R.F.B take a short interview. The result will be
published on the website www.chromo11.com, along with a growing
collection of other interviews from all walks of life. You can see the
interview at www.chromo11.com/interview16 along with instructions on
how to complete it. (it can be done off-line).

We can talk further in this user-group (please be patient at it takes
me a couple of days to revisit each group) - but it's most
constructive to have any comments put forward in the interview format.
Even though this isn't scientific research, the interview is
constructed to help me understand your experiences.

I hope you can help, I think it'll make a fantastic edition to the
growing thrill collection.

Thanks

Brendan Walker
+44 (0)20 7590 4573
www.chromo11.com/interview16
Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
On 27 Oct 2003 04:07:56 -0800, (BW) wrote:

>Can you help answer the question "What's the thrill of baking?"
>
>I am a research fellow at the Royal College of Art, England. As part
>of my current work I'm trying to find out what thrills people, how and
>why. I'm aiming to create a stimulating resource of material to
>inspire new design work.

For me, its several things.

One is tactile - with bread or yeast doughs, its the feel of the dough
in my hands as I work it.

Another is the smell - nothing like the smell of fresh bread baking or
even a lovely cake. Makes one feel good - like coming home after
being away for a long time.

There's also the visual side of it - watching things change in colour
and texture as you mix or beat them; looking at something gooey and
soft turn into something solid.

There's the taste, of course - the difference between the way bought
foods or even bakery stuff tastes and what you make yourself is
something special. One could say, its the taste of love. I don't
know, but I do know that you can't buy that taste anywhere.

Finally, there's the feeling of accomplishment and pride when
something works out and you have a perfect loaf of bread or a
beautiful cake that everyone raves about. Gives you self esteem and
confidence.

That's me.

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davida @ jdc . org . il>
Minteeleaf

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady wrote:
<snip>

> For me, its several things.
>
> One is tactile - with bread or yeast doughs, its the feel of the dough
> in my hands as I work it.
>
> Another is the smell - nothing like the smell of fresh bread baking or
> even a lovely cake. Makes one feel good - like coming home after
> being away for a long time.
>
> There's also the visual side of it - watching things change in colour
> and texture as you mix or beat them; looking at something gooey and
> soft turn into something solid.
>
> There's the taste, of course - the difference between the way bought
> foods or even bakery stuff tastes and what you make yourself is
> something special. One could say, its the taste of love. I don't
> know, but I do know that you can't buy that taste anywhere.
>
> Finally, there's the feeling of accomplishment and pride when
> something works out and you have a perfect loaf of bread or a
> beautiful cake that everyone raves about. Gives you self esteem and
> confidence.
>
> That's me.>
> --
> Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
> <davida @ jdc . org . il>

Well said, and I heartily agree.

Minteeleaf

Baking soda and baking powder. Some question Pandora General Cooking 11 24-08-2006 12:40 PM
"Thrill of the grill" Mike Barbecue 12 04-09-2004 11:17 PM
Thrill to Grill PENMART01 General Cooking 2 26-05-2004 06:44 PM
Question: "What's the thrill of cooking" BW General Cooking 18 05-11-2003 03:00 PM
what the thrill of beer? BW Beer 7 28-10-2003 05:57 PM