Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

Default question: "What's the thrill of baking?"

NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
On 27 Oct 2003 04:07:56 -0800, (BW) wrote:

>Can you help answer the question "What's the thrill of baking?"
>
>I am a research fellow at the Royal College of Art, England. As part
>of my current work I'm trying to find out what thrills people, how and
>why. I'm aiming to create a stimulating resource of material to
>inspire new design work.

For me, its several things.

One is tactile - with bread or yeast doughs, its the feel of the dough
in my hands as I work it.

Another is the smell - nothing like the smell of fresh bread baking or
even a lovely cake. Makes one feel good - like coming home after
being away for a long time.

There's also the visual side of it - watching things change in colour
and texture as you mix or beat them; looking at something gooey and
soft turn into something solid.

There's the taste, of course - the difference between the way bought
foods or even bakery stuff tastes and what you make yourself is
something special. One could say, its the taste of love. I don't
know, but I do know that you can't buy that taste anywhere.

Finally, there's the feeling of accomplishment and pride when
something works out and you have a perfect loaf of bread or a
beautiful cake that everyone raves about. Gives you self esteem and
confidence.

That's me.

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)