Her Subj.

Default Sacher Torte Recipe

Can anyone comment on this Sacher Torte recipe?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._17595,00.html

I want to try this out but want to make sure it's a good recipe.

Sapphire

The recipe sounds delicious! Even though it would you be your first
time baking it - and you really shouldn't - I would substitute the
apricots and the liquor with raspberries and a raspberry liquor. I am
sucker for chocolate and raspberries, and tend to think they go better
together than chocolate and apricots - but then again I am not an
apricot fan .

Good luck!

jacqui{JB}

oups.com...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_17595,00.htm

> The recipe sounds delicious! Even though it would
> you be your first time baking it - and you really
> shouldn't - I would substitute the apricots and the
> liquor with raspberries and a raspberry liquor. I am
> sucker for chocolate and raspberries, and tend to
> think they go better together than chocolate and
> apricots - but then again I am not an apricot fan .

But then it wouldn't be a Sachertorte, which is a very specific concoction
of chocolate cake with apricot filling. Don't knock it 'til you've tried
it -- it's really lovely. Of course, I might be somewhat biased, since I
ate Sachertorte for the first time at Cafe Sacher in Vienna -- enough to
color anyone's perceptions.

The original Sachertorte recipe remains a closely guarded secret, but I
think the link posted by the OP (restored above -- and hey, Sapphire, would
you consider quoting a bit of the posts that you reply to? That way your
posts don't just hang out there, referring to nothing if propagation is
wonky) sounds fine. To my mind, the most tricky thing is getting the
chocolate glaze right. A sponge cake is a sponge cake is a sponge cake, and
the quality of the apricot filling will depend on the quality of the
preserves, but the glaze is quite specific.

Anyway, give it a try -- and it would be really nice if the OP got back to
us, to tell us how it went.
-j

jacqui{JB}

"Sapphire" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> Can anyone comment on this Sacher Torte recipe?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_17595,00.htm

> The recipe sounds delicious! Even though it would
> you be your first time baking it - and you really
> shouldn't - I would substitute the apricots and the
> liquor with raspberries and a raspberry liquor. I am
> sucker for chocolate and raspberries, and tend to
> think they go better together than chocolate and
> apricots - but then again I am not an apricot fan .

But then it wouldn't be a Sachertorte, which is a very specific concoction
of chocolate cake with apricot filling. Don't knock it 'til you've tried
it -- it's really lovely. Of course, I might be somewhat biased, since I
ate Sachertorte for the first time at Cafe Sacher in Vienna -- enough to
color anyone's perceptions.

The original Sachertorte recipe remains a closely guarded secret, but I
think the link posted by the OP (restored above -- and hey, Sapphire, would
you consider quoting a bit of the posts that you reply to? That way your
posts don't just hang out there, referring to nothing if propagation is
wonky) sounds fine. To my mind, the most tricky thing is getting the
chocolate glaze right. A sponge cake is a sponge cake is a sponge cake, and
the quality of the apricot filling will depend on the quality of the
preserves, but the glaze is quite specific.

Anyway, give it a try -- and it would be really nice if the OP got back to
us, to tell us how it went.
-j

Her Subj.

I'm making this version of the Sacher Torte tomorrow and will let you
know how it turns out! I am quite good with glazing cakes...

HS

jacqui{JB} wrote:
> "Sapphire" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> >> Can anyone comment on this Sacher Torte recipe?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_17595,00.htm

> > The recipe sounds delicious! Even though it would
> > you be your first time baking it - and you really
> > shouldn't - I would substitute the apricots and the
> > liquor with raspberries and a raspberry liquor. I am
> > sucker for chocolate and raspberries, and tend to
> > think they go better together than chocolate and
> > apricots - but then again I am not an apricot fan .

> But then it wouldn't be a Sachertorte, which is a very specific

concoction
> of chocolate cake with apricot filling. Don't knock it 'til you've

tried
> it -- it's really lovely. Of course, I might be somewhat biased,

since I
> ate Sachertorte for the first time at Cafe Sacher in Vienna -- enough

> color anyone's perceptions.
>
> The original Sachertorte recipe remains a closely guarded secret, but

> think the link posted by the OP (restored above -- and hey, Sapphire,

would
> you consider quoting a bit of the posts that you reply to? That way

your
> posts don't just hang out there, referring to nothing if propagation

is
> wonky) sounds fine. To my mind, the most tricky thing is getting the
> chocolate glaze right. A sponge cake is a sponge cake is a sponge

cake, and
> the quality of the apricot filling will depend on the quality of the
> preserves, but the glaze is quite specific.
>
> Anyway, give it a try -- and it would be really nice if the OP got

back to
> us, to tell us how it went.
> -j

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

(Please NOTE E-Mail address in my sig) On 18 Apr 2005 19:02:45 -0700 during
the rec.food.baking Community News Flash, "Her Subj."
> reported:

>Can anyone comment on this Sacher Torte recipe?
>
>http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._17595,00.html
>
>I want to try this out but want to make sure it's a good recipe.

Looks pretty good to me, except that my Viennese Mother-in-Law always used
finely ground almonds instead of flour in her's.

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>
Dee Randall

"Her Subj." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm making this version of the Sacher Torte tomorrow and will let you
> know how it turns out! I am quite good with glazing cakes...
>
> HS
>
> jacqui{JB} wrote:
>> "Sapphire" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

> http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_17595,00.htm
>>
>> > The recipe sounds delicious! Even though it would
>> > you be your first time baking it - and you really
>> > shouldn't - I would substitute the apricots and the
>> > liquor with raspberries and a raspberry liquor. I am
>> > sucker for chocolate and raspberries, and tend to
>> > think they go better together than chocolate and
>> > apricots - but then again I am not an apricot fan .

>> But then it wouldn't be a Sachertorte, which is a very specific

> concoction
>> of chocolate cake with apricot filling. Don't knock it 'til you've

> tried
>> it -- it's really lovely. Of course, I might be somewhat biased,

> since I
>> ate Sachertorte for the first time at Cafe Sacher in Vienna -- enough

>> color anyone's perceptions.
>>
>> The original Sachertorte recipe remains a closely guarded secret, but

>> think the link posted by the OP (restored above -- and hey, Sapphire,

> would
>> you consider quoting a bit of the posts that you reply to? That way

> your
>> posts don't just hang out there, referring to nothing if propagation

> is
>> wonky) sounds fine. To my mind, the most tricky thing is getting the
>> chocolate glaze right. A sponge cake is a sponge cake is a sponge

> cake, and
>> the quality of the apricot filling will depend on the quality of the
>> preserves, but the glaze is quite specific.
>>
>> Anyway, give it a try -- and it would be really nice if the OP got

> back to
>> us, to tell us how it went.
>> -j

Of course, I might be somewhat biased,
> since I
>> ate Sachertorte for the first time at Cafe Sacher in Vienna -- enough

>> color anyone's perceptions.

The first and only time I ate Sachertorte, too was at the Cafe Sacher in
Vienna -- I can see it now -- but I was disappointed. I returned home and
found a recipe, I believe it was from Chef Tell's book, but it's been so
long ago. [I googled and didn't find his sachertorte.] But the recipe I
made was so darned delicious and so DIFFERENT from what I ate there. Wonder
why that was. However, I never made it again. At the time it didn't seem
very easy for me to make. Also I've never liked cakes very much -- except
one little place in an alley in Paris where I found a cake that seemed to
fall onto the plate, very moist, looked like it was heavy chocolate and it
was customarily served with honey all over it. I went back every day for
that piece of cake. I often wonder about that cake.
Nice to share -- thanks for telling that you went to Cafe Sacher in Vienna.
Dee

Margaret Suran

Dee Randall wrote:
> "Her Subj." > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>> I'm making this version of the Sacher Torte tomorrow and will let
>> you know how it turns out!
>>

> The first and only time I ate Sachertorte, too was at the Cafe
> Sacher in Vienna -- I can see it now -- but I was disappointed. I
> returned home and found a recipe, I believe it was from Chef Tell's
> book, but it's been so long ago. [I googled and didn't find his
> sachertorte.] But the recipe I made was so darned delicious and so
> DIFFERENT from what I ate there. Wonder why that was. However, I
> never made it again. At the time it didn't seem very easy for me
> to make. Also I've never liked cakes very much -- except one
> little place in an alley in Paris where I found a cake that seemed
> to fall onto the plate, very moist, looked like it was heavy
> chocolate and it was customarily served with honey all over it. I
> went back every day for that piece of cake. I often wonder about
> that cake. Nice to share -- thanks for telling that you went to
> Cafe Sacher in Vienna. Dee

Sachertorte is a rather dry and dense cake and only really good if it
is accompanied by a large serving of Schlag. Substituting ground
walnuts for all or part of the flour will result in a moister cake,
but then it is not the original recipe and neither are the ones that
use separated eggs with the egg whites stiffly beaten. There must be
hundreds of different ways to make Sachertorte and probably none
exactly like the original one at Sacher's. For all we know, even that
one may have changed through the years.

jacqui{JB}

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> The first and only time I ate Sachertorte, too was
> at the Cafe Sacher in Vienna -- I can see it now --
> but I was disappointed. I returned home and found
> a recipe, I believe it was from Chef Tell's book, but
> it's been so long ago. [I googled and didn't find his
> sachertorte.] But the recipe I made was so darned
> delicious and so DIFFERENT from what I ate there.
> Wonder why that was. However, I never made it again.
> At the time it didn't seem very easy for me to make.
> Also I've never liked cakes very much -- except one
> little place in an alley in Paris where I found a cake that
> seemed to fall onto the plate, very moist, looked like it
> was heavy chocolate and it was customarily served with
> honey all over it. I went back every day for that piece
> of cake. I often wonder about that cake.

I must confess that I wasn't quite as keen on the Sachertorte at the Sacher
Cafe as I would have liked to be. The gift from an Austrian colleague of my
husband of individual little Sachertortes (four to a box, if I recall
correctly) was much tastier and less dry. As Margaret said, Schlag is
necessary (and delightful).

> Nice to share -- thanks for telling that you went
> to Cafe Sacher in Vienna.

It's a pleasure. I'm still so bowled over to be traveling (which I
never expected to be able to do -- and then I married a Dane who travels ...
who woulda thunk?), I'm always happy to talk about it -- always hoping, of
course, that people don't take it the wrong way.
-j

Dee Randall

"Sapphire" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> The recipe sounds delicious! Even though it would you be your first
> time baking it - and you really shouldn't - I would substitute the
> apricots and the liquor with raspberries and a raspberry liquor. I am
> sucker for chocolate and raspberries, and tend to think they go better
> together than chocolate and apricots - but then again I am not an
> apricot fan .
>
> Good luck!

There's something about the idea of sachertorte made with apricots that seem
to conjure up "sachertorte." When I hear raspberries and cherries and that
sort of thing, I think of other types of cakes made with chocolate, of
which there seem to be plenty of. Don't our tastes run different, for I
never have liked the combination of raspberries and chocolate, always biting
into an unnamed choc/raspberry chocolate and putting it aside - price of the
box of chocolates never being a consideration. One time many years ago, a
friend of mine baked me a cake for a going away present party. Believe it
or not, it was ?? chocolate decadent?? isn't that the one made with
raspberries and chocolate -- Needless to say, I'll never forget it -- tee
hee!
Dee

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 20 Apr 2005 07:02:47a, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.baking:

> "Sapphire" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> The recipe sounds delicious! Even though it would you be your first
>> time baking it - and you really shouldn't - I would substitute the
>> apricots and the liquor with raspberries and a raspberry liquor. I am
>> sucker for chocolate and raspberries, and tend to think they go better
>> together than chocolate and apricots - but then again I am not an
>> apricot fan .
>>
>> Good luck!

> There's something about the idea of sachertorte made with apricots that
> seem to conjure up "sachertorte." When I hear raspberries and cherries
> and that sort of thing, I think of other types of cakes made with
> chocolate, of which there seem to be plenty of. Don't our tastes run
> different, for I never have liked the combination of raspberries and
> chocolate, always biting into an unnamed choc/raspberry chocolate and
> putting it aside - price of the box of chocolates never being a
> consideration. One time many years ago, a friend of mine baked me a
> cake for a going away present party. Believe it or not, it was ??
> chocolate decadent?? isn't that the one made with raspberries and
> chocolate -- Needless to say, I'll never forget it -- tee hee!
> Dee

I'm with you, Dee. I'm not overly fond of raspberry with chocolate. I
love cherry with chocolate, but for that I want a black forest cake.
Apricot, it's got to be sachertorte.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 20 Apr 2005 07:02:47a, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.baking:

> "Sapphire" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> The recipe sounds delicious! Even though it would you be your first
>> time baking it - and you really shouldn't - I would substitute the
>> apricots and the liquor with raspberries and a raspberry liquor. I am
>> sucker for chocolate and raspberries, and tend to think they go better
>> together than chocolate and apricots - but then again I am not an
>> apricot fan .
>>
>> Good luck!

> There's something about the idea of sachertorte made with apricots that
> seem to conjure up "sachertorte." When I hear raspberries and cherries
> and that sort of thing, I think of other types of cakes made with
> chocolate, of which there seem to be plenty of. Don't our tastes run
> different, for I never have liked the combination of raspberries and
> chocolate, always biting into an unnamed choc/raspberry chocolate and
> putting it aside - price of the box of chocolates never being a
> consideration. One time many years ago, a friend of mine baked me a
> cake for a going away present party. Believe it or not, it was ??
> chocolate decadent?? isn't that the one made with raspberries and
> chocolate -- Needless to say, I'll never forget it -- tee hee!
> Dee

I'm with you, Dee. I'm not overly fond of raspberry with chocolate. I
love cherry with chocolate, but for that I want a black forest cake.
Apricot, it's got to be sachertorte.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Sacher torte Ed Pawlowski General Cooking 24 15-01-2017 08:36 AM
Sacher torte gloria p General Cooking 11 14-02-2012 10:06 PM
Chef Tell - Sacher Torte Dee Dee General Cooking 16 27-06-2007 03:22 AM
Sacher Torte Recipe Her Subj. Baking 0 19-04-2005 03:02 AM
Sacher torte Reg Baking 7 20-10-2003 05:53 PM