Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chef Tell - Sacher Torte

I gave away this book years and years ago, but I keep thinking about
his recipe I made from this book, a Sacher Torte.

I have googled and found nothing. Does anyone have this book in their
collection?
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 13:27:05 -0700, Dee Dee >
wrote:

>I gave away this book years and years ago, but I keep thinking about
>his recipe I made from this book, a Sacher Torte.
>
>I have googled and found nothing. Does anyone have this book in their
>collection?
>I believe he only wrote one in the 70's. 1970's that is :-))
>Dee Dee

I have it at home in my collection, but I am not there right now....
I won't be home til after July 1.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 4:35 pm, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 13:27:05 -0700, Dee Dee >
> wrote:
>
> >I gave away this book years and years ago, but I keep thinking about
> >his recipe I made from this book, a Sacher Torte.

> >I have googled and found nothing. Does anyone have this book in their
> >collection?
> >I believe he only wrote one in the 70's. 1970's that is :-))
> >Dee Dee

> I have it at home in my collection, but I am not there right now....
> I won't be home til after July 1.
>
> Christine

This is a recipe that I made when I bought the book; the cake was
absolutely delicious; I made it again and it was awful. I guess it's
one of the remembered things that you don't want to give up on even
though years have passed.

We made a similar trip in 1993 from Tucson and thru Texas in a little
Prowler camper and truck, up through Louisville to Ohio. We had sold
our house in Washington state and it took us a year traveling to end
up here in Virginia - my ancestoral roots.

Happy Trails.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 13:27:05 -0700, Dee Dee >
> wrote:
>
>>I gave away this book years and years ago, but I keep thinking about
>>his recipe I made from this book, a Sacher Torte.
>>
>>I have googled and found nothing. Does anyone have this book in their
>>collection?
>>I believe he only wrote one in the 70's. 1970's that is :-))
>>Dee Dee

> I have it at home in my collection, but I am not there right now....
> I won't be home til after July 1.
>
> Christine

This one?

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Sacher Torte

none

----CAKE----
3/4 cup butter
2/3 cup caster sugar
5 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon almond essence
175 gm plain chocolate (6 oz)
1 1/2 cup ground hazelnut filberts
1/2 cup self-raising flour
2 tablespoon cocoa
6 egg whites
----ICING----
4 tablespoon apricot jam
1/3 cup butter
175 gm plain chocolate (6 oz)
2 tablespoon apricot brandy (or subst.)

Preheat oven to 160C (325F). Grease a 9in spring form cake tin and line
the
bottom with greaseproof paper. Cream the butter then add 1/3c sugar
slowly, beating in between additions. Add the egg yolks one at a time,
beating in between. Melt the chocolate and add it to the mixture along
with
the almond essence and hazelnuts. Beat. Fold in the cocoa and flour.
Whisk
the egg whites until stiff, then add 1/3c sugar slowly, whisking in
between additions. Stir about a quarter of this into the cake mixture to
lighten it, then *fold* in the remainder. Spoon this into the cake tin.
Bake for 60 - 70 minutes, until the top is firm and the centre cooked
(test
with a metal skewer). Cool and remove from tin. Warm the apricot jam
until
it is semi liquid. Spread over the top and sides of the cake. Allow to
cool and set slightly. Melt the butter and the chocolate for the icing
and
mix with the brandy, if used. Cool until it reaches a consistency for
icing, then ice the top and sides of the cake.

Yield: 6 servings

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 5:31 pm, hahabogus > wrote:
> Christine Dabney > wrote :
>

> > On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 13:27:05 -0700, Dee Dee >
> > wrote:

> >>I gave away this book years and years ago, but I keep thinking about
> >>his recipe I made from this book, a Sacher Torte.

> >>I have googled and found nothing. Does anyone have this book in their
> >>collection?
> >>I believe he only wrote one in the 70's. 1970's that is :-))
> >>Dee Dee

> > I have it at home in my collection, but I am not there right now....
> > I won't be home til after July 1.

> > Christine

> This one?
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Sacher Torte
>
> none
>
> ----CAKE----
> 3/4 cup butter
> 2/3 cup caster sugar
> 5 egg yolks
> 1/4 teaspoon almond essence
> 175 gm plain chocolate (6 oz)
> 1 1/2 cup ground hazelnut filberts
> 1/2 cup self-raising flour
> 2 tablespoon cocoa
> 6 egg whites
> ----ICING----
> 4 tablespoon apricot jam
> 1/3 cup butter
> 175 gm plain chocolate (6 oz)
> 2 tablespoon apricot brandy (or subst.)
>
> Preheat oven to 160C (325F). Grease a 9in spring form cake tin and line
> the
> bottom with greaseproof paper. Cream the butter then add 1/3c sugar
> slowly, beating in between additions. Add the egg yolks one at a time,
> beating in between. Melt the chocolate and add it to the mixture along
> with
> the almond essence and hazelnuts. Beat. Fold in the cocoa and flour.
> Whisk
> the egg whites until stiff, then add 1/3c sugar slowly, whisking in
> between additions. Stir about a quarter of this into the cake mixture to
> lighten it, then *fold* in the remainder. Spoon this into the cake tin.
> Bake for 60 - 70 minutes, until the top is firm and the centre cooked
> (test
> with a metal skewer). Cool and remove from tin. Warm the apricot jam
> until
> it is semi liquid. Spread over the top and sides of the cake. Allow to
> cool and set slightly. Melt the butter and the chocolate for the icing
> and
> mix with the brandy, if used. Cool until it reaches a consistency for
> icing, then ice the top and sides of the cake.
>
> Yield: 6 servings
>
> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.81 **
>
> --
>
> The house of the burning beet-Alan
>
> It'll be a sunny day in August, when the Moon will shine that night-
> Elbonian Folklore- Hide quoted text -

Can't Tell if it is Chef Tell ;-)

Thanks, but I don't remember what the recipe was, so I can't tell.
Are you saying that this is Chef Tell's recipe? If it is, many
thanks.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee > wrote in news:1182635285.795623.43870
@n60g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

> Are you saying that this is Chef Tell's recipe

No...jyst a sacher torte recipe afaik.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 9:03 pm, hahabogus > wrote:
> Dee Dee > wrote in news:1182635285.795623.43870
> @n60g2000hse.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Are you saying that this is Chef Tell's recipe

> No...jyst a sacher torte recipe afaik.

Thanks for your help, but I am looking for THE sacher torte recipe IN
Chef Tell's book. :-)
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Would you believe ...

During one of my visits to Vienna, Austria, I ordered the Sacher Torte
at the Hotel Sacher (the originator of the dessert) and, to my
surprise, it wasn't as good as other Sacher Tortes that I've had from
various bakeries in Europe. Maybe they served me a slice of the
original cake baked in 1832.

Anyway, even a bad Sacher Torte is a good Sacher Torte.

Gary Hayman

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 10:35 pm, Gary > wrote:
> Would you believe ...
>
> During one of my visits to Vienna, Austria, I ordered the Sacher Torte
> at the Hotel Sacher (the originator of the dessert) and, to my
> surprise, it wasn't as good as other Sacher Tortes that I've had from
> various bakeries in Europe. Maybe they served me a slice of the
> original cake baked in 1832.
>
> Anyway, even a bad Sacher Torte is a good Sacher Torte.
>
> Gary Hayman

I did the same thing in Vienna "and to my surprise, it wasn't as good
as other Sacher Tortes that I have had a various bakeries in Europe"
also.

I've always wondered that we had "American tourist" written on our T-
shirts and were served the dregs/left-overs or the practice cakes.

An aside: we went to Demels, but by the time we waded thru the horse
turds, I'd lost my appetite -- well, almost.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I gave away this book years and years ago, but I keep thinking about
> his recipe I made from this book, a Sacher Torte.
>
> I have googled and found nothing. Does anyone have this book in their
> collection?
> I believe he only wrote one in the 70's. 1970's that is :-))
> Dee Dee

http://www.mbctv.com/cheftell/index.html

This might be your man but I can't find a sacher torte in his site

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 24, 3:32 am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
> "Dee Dee" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> >I gave away this book years and years ago, but I keep thinking about
> > his recipe I made from this book, a Sacher Torte.

> > I have googled and found nothing. Does anyone have this book in their
> > collection?
> > I believe he only wrote one in the 70's. 1970's that is :-))
> > Dee Dee

> http://www.mbctv.com/cheftell/index.html
>
> This might be your man but I can't find a sacher torte in his site

Yep, that's my man. I had googled all over for him and his torte and
not found the it, which is strange. Perhaps he's a meat man ;-))
Thanks.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee > wrote:
>On Jun 24, 3:32 am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>> http://www.mbctv.com/cheftell/index.html
>> This might be your man but I can't find a sacher torte in his site

>Yep, that's my man. I had googled all over for him and his torte and
>not found the it, which is strange.

Just as an aside, my Dad used to sign that guy's paychecks.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 24, 10:43 pm, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
> Dee Dee > wrote:
>
> >On Jun 24, 3:32 am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
> >>http://www.mbctv.com/cheftell/index.html
> >> This might be your man but I can't find a sacher torte in his site

> >Yep, that's my man. I had googled all over for him and his torte and
> >not found the it, which is strange.

> Just as an aside, my Dad used to sign that guy's paychecks.
>
> --Blair

I'd like to hear more.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee > wrote:
>On Jun 24, 10:43 pm, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
>> Dee Dee > wrote:

>> >Yep, that's my man. I had googled all over for him and his torte and
>> >not found the it, which is strange.

>> Just as an aside, my Dad used to sign that guy's paychecks.

>I'd like to hear more.

Long ago, Dad started an empire of after-the-news,
before-primetime infotainment shows called either PM
Magazine or Evening Magazine, depending on what your local
affiliate decided was more tasteful in their market.

It had new local segments each night, and several rotating
feature segments. A greengrocer, some other stuff, and
Chef Tell.

Then Dad went on to be Exec Prodo for Entertainment Tonight
and signed Mary Hart's paychecks for a while.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blair P. Houghton" wrote:

> Long ago, Dad started an empire of after-the-news,
> before-primetime infotainment shows called either PM
> Magazine or Evening Magazine, depending on what your local
> affiliate decided was more tasteful in their market.

Did he have anything to do with "People Are Talking"?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 25, 9:51 pm, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

> Long ago, Dad started an empire of after-the-news,
> before-primetime infotainment shows called either PM
> Magazine or Evening Magazine, depending on what your local
> affiliate decided was more tasteful in their market.
>
> It had new local segments each night, and several rotating
> feature segments. A greengrocer, some other stuff, and
> Chef Tell.
>
> Then Dad went on to be Exec Prodo for Entertainment Tonight
> and signed Mary Hart's paychecks for a while.
>
> --Blair

Interesting; glad I asked.
Thanks.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:
>"Blair P. Houghton" wrote:
>>
>> Long ago, Dad started an empire of after-the-news,
>> before-primetime infotainment shows called either PM
>> Magazine or Evening Magazine, depending on what your local
>> affiliate decided was more tasteful in their market.

>Did he have anything to do with "People Are Talking"?

I don't have any idea what that is, so I doubt it. He did
produce some 60 Minutes segments, though.

--Blair

Sacher torte Ed Pawlowski General Cooking 24 15-01-2017 07:36 AM
Sacher torte gloria p General Cooking 11 14-02-2012 09:06 PM
Sacher Torte Recipe Her Subj. Baking 11 21-04-2005 04:41 AM
Sacher Torte Recipe Her Subj. Baking 0 19-04-2005 03:02 AM
Sacher torte Reg Baking 7 20-10-2003 05:53 PM