Old 12-01-2017, 01:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sacher torte

Sunday night we were watching an episode of Andrew Zimmer's Delicious
Destinations on the Travel Channel. This episode was Vienna Austria.
One of the foods Vienna is know for is pastries. They visited the Hotel
Sacher and showed how they have been making a chocolate tore the same
way since 1832. It looked fantastic.

It is a chocolate based cake with apricot jelly coating and coverde in a
proprietary blend of three chocolates. The cake is mixed by hand, same
as in 1832.

As any good foodies would do, I Googled it and found that I could order
one o line. So I did. It was shipped on Monday and arrived today. It
is a 5 star presentation, as it comes in a wood box with brass corners.

I ordered the largest size since shipping cost is the same. It is good
for 12 servings. It is supposed to be served with unsweetened whipped
cream and you eat some of each in every bite.

It is really really good. Make yourself a cup of coffee or tea with it
and it is a heavenly dessert. Given the price, I won't be ordering
every week, but for special occasions, it is a very nice treat.
https://www.sacher.com/en/original-sacher-cake/

Old 12-01-2017, 01:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2017 8:35 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 20:08:48 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It is really really good. Make yourself a cup of coffee or tea with it
and it is a heavenly dessert. Given the price, I won't be ordering
every week, but for special occasions, it is a very nice treat.
https://www.sacher.com/en/original-sacher-cake/

$90 for 8.5" torte is a little too expensive for a dessert for me. I
just do a Suzy-Q and call it a night.

Did you also get a $150 bottle of Dom Perignon to go with that?
cough

-sw

No, a cup of Esmeralda geisha coffee.
https://www.lacolombe.com/collection...meralda-geisha
Old 12-01-2017, 02:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2017 5:35 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 20:08:48 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It is really really good. Make yourself a cup of coffee or tea with it
and it is a heavenly dessert. Given the price, I won't be ordering
every week, but for special occasions, it is a very nice treat.
https://www.sacher.com/en/original-sacher-cake/

$90 for 8.5" torte is a little too expensive for a dessert for me. I
just do a Suzy-Q and call it a night.

Did you also get a $150 bottle of Dom Perignon to go with that?
cough

-sw

Not really hard to make.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2017 9:30 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 1/11/2017 5:35 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 20:08:48 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It is really really good. Make yourself a cup of coffee or tea with it
and it is a heavenly dessert. Given the price, I won't be ordering
every week, but for special occasions, it is a very nice treat.
https://www.sacher.com/en/original-sacher-cake/

$90 for 8.5" torte is a little too expensive for a dessert for me. I
just do a Suzy-Q and call it a night.

Did you also get a $150 bottle of Dom Perignon to go with that?
cough

-sw

Not really hard to make.

There are many clone recipes, but unlike the original, they don't have
the same blend of chocolates, the custom ground flour, etc. I'm sure
many of them are good, but I wanted to try the original.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-11 6:08 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

You could also get Poilâne's bread Fedex'd to you from Paris.
http://www.poilane.com/index.php?

Old 12-01-2017, 05:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 19:35:49 -0600, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 20:08:48 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It is really really good. Make yourself a cup of coffee or tea with it
and it is a heavenly dessert. Given the price, I won't be ordering
every week, but for special occasions, it is a very nice treat.
https://www.sacher.com/en/original-sacher-cake/

$90 for 8.5" torte is a little too expensive for a dessert for me. I
just do a Suzy-Q and call it a night.

Did you also get a $150 bottle of Dom Perignon to go with that?
cough

$90 isn't going to break the bank. He has reached "a certain age" and
has a comfortable nest egg, so why not? When kids are raised to take
care of themselves and they do their part as grownups - it frees their
parents up to do whatever they want with their own money.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

[...]

======================

Sounds wonderful, Ed)

Thanks for sharing)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Old 12-01-2017, 03:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 18:30:18 -0800, Taxed and Spent
wrote:

On 1/11/2017 5:35 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 20:08:48 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It is really really good. Make yourself a cup of coffee or tea with it
and it is a heavenly dessert. Given the price, I won't be ordering
every week, but for special occasions, it is a very nice treat.
https://www.sacher.com/en/original-sacher-cake/

$90 for 8.5" torte is a little too expensive for a dessert for me. I
just do a Suzy-Q and call it a night.

Did you also get a $150 bottle of Dom Perignon to go with that?
cough

Not really hard to make.

Actually relatively easy to make and shouldn't cost more than $10.
A sacher torte is just not something I would enjoy, it's too rich,
more like candy than cake, I'd much rather pound cake with ice cream.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...r-torte-recipe
Old 12-01-2017, 06:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/11/2017 9:30 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 1/11/2017 5:35 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 20:08:48 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It is really really good. Make yourself a cup of coffee or tea with it
and it is a heavenly dessert. Given the price, I won't be ordering
every week, but for special occasions, it is a very nice treat.
https://www.sacher.com/en/original-sacher-cake/

$90 for 8.5" torte is a little too expensive for a dessert for me. I
just do a Suzy-Q and call it a night.

Did you also get a $150 bottle of Dom Perignon to go with that?
cough

-sw

Not really hard to make.

There are many clone recipes, but unlike the original, they don't have
the same blend of chocolates, the custom ground flour, etc. I'm sure
many of them are good, but I wanted to try the original.

I have made a few sachertortes and have also eaten one at the Sacher
Hotel. I'm not much of a cake maker so can't really weigh in on the
relative difficulty but you need to at least be skilled enough to cut
the thing in half longitudinally to put the apricot preserves in there,
and that takes some practice. Coating with the chocolate glaze isn't
for beginners either (let alone making the glaze).

Btw you need the schlagobers because frankly it's a bit on the dry side.
Vienna has plenty of other treats to offer that I prefer.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" wrote in message

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

=================

It is really nice you can make it if you want to

I can understand Ed wanting to treat his wife and himself. He can afford
it, so why not?)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Old 12-01-2017, 08:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On 1/11/2017 5:35 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 20:08:48 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It is really really good. Make yourself a cup of coffee or tea with it
and it is a heavenly dessert. Given the price, I won't be ordering
every week, but for special occasions, it is a very nice treat.
https://www.sacher.com/en/original-sacher-cake/

$90 for 8.5" torte is a little too expensive for a dessert for me. I
just do a Suzy-Q and call it a night.

Did you also get a $150 bottle of Dom Perignon to go with that?
cough

Not really hard to make.

Actually relatively easy to make and shouldn't cost more than $10.
A sacher torte is just not something I would enjoy, it's too rich,
more like candy than cake, I'd much rather pound cake with ice cream.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...r-torte-recipe

I thought you liked Nesselrode? That seems to me to be
quite rich.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 13-01-2017, 02:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2017 8:08 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I'm not much on desserts but it sounds like a nice thing for you to
splurge on for you and your wife.

Jill
Old 13-01-2017, 09:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

$90 for 8.5" torte is a little too expensive for a dessert for me. I
just do a Suzy-Q and call it a night.

Did you also get a $150 bottle of Dom Perignon to go with that?
cough

$90 isn't going to break the bank. He has reached "a certain age" and
has a comfortable nest egg, so why not? When kids are raised to take
care of themselves and they do their part as grownups - it frees their
parents up to do whatever they want with their own money.

You totally missed the point (again). I am not a dessert/sweets
person. I would much rather spend $90 on 4.5 pounds of brisket and
short ribs from Franklin BBQ.

So, his thread has to be all about you?

Old 13-01-2017, 09:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 18:58:58 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

But wait! This thread is all about Steve Wertz and what he likes.

Old 13-01-2017, 09:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2017 2:50 PM, sf wrote:
Btw you need the schlagobers because frankly it's a bit on the dry side.
Vienna has plenty of other treats to offer that I prefer.

But wait! This thread is all about Steve Wertz and what he likes.

He likes a big fat uncut cawk slammed in his arsehole!

Sacher torte gloria p General Cooking 11 14-02-2012 09:06 PM
Chef Tell - Sacher Torte Dee Dee General Cooking 16 27-06-2007 03:22 AM
Sacher Torte Recipe Her Subj. Baking 11 21-04-2005 04:41 AM
Sacher Torte Recipe Her Subj. Baking 0 19-04-2005 03:02 AM
Sacher torte Reg Baking 7 20-10-2003 05:53 PM