William J King

Default glass or alumium in baking?

I have a heavy banana bread recipe that bakes in a 9x9" pan.
if I use the glass pan if burns but cooks thorough.
if I use an aluminum pan it does not cook thoroughly.

is there an alternative? (tried lessening the sugar to reduce the burn
but not luck.)

Wm king

Peggy

"William J King" > wrote in message

> I have a heavy banana bread recipe that bakes in a 9x9" pan.
> if I use the glass pan if burns but cooks thorough.
> if I use an aluminum pan it does not cook thoroughly.
>
> is there an alternative? (tried lessening the sugar to reduce the burn
> but not luck.)
>
> Wm king

maybe adjusting the time and/or temperature might help.
Peggy

Vox Humana

"William J King" > wrote in message

> I have a heavy banana bread recipe that bakes in a 9x9" pan.
> if I use the glass pan if burns but cooks thorough.
> if I use an aluminum pan it does not cook thoroughly.
>
> is there an alternative? (tried lessening the sugar to reduce the burn
> but not luck.)

When using the glass pan, reduce the temperature by 25F. Also, make sure the
top of the pan is in the center of the oven. The top of the oven is the
hottest zone. When using the aluminum pan, bake it until it is done. I
know that might sound elementary, but some people insist on sticking to
rigid baking schedules instead of using common sense. Sometime products
like banana bread can vary quite a bit in baking time because of variance in
moisture levels in fruit or because "3 medium bananas" to one person are not
the same to another.

Socks

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:05:58 +0000, William J King wrote:

> I have a heavy banana bread recipe that bakes in a 9x9" pan. if I use
> the glass pan if burns but cooks thorough. if I use an aluminum pan it
> does not cook thoroughly.

aluminum pans come with bright or dark colored exteriors, and that makes a
difference, but ...

maybe it's the shape that is wrong for that bread. a loaf pan should have
less distance for the heat to travel to the center, though i suppose a
tube pan would be the king at even heat distribution.