Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Culinary uses for chia seeds?

I bought a half pound of these for no apparent reason . Now I'm
thinking I'll chiaafy the front of my house. Or maybe the roof.
Will chia grow on asphalt or limestone? What makes it stick to the
clay when they "spread" it on?

Barring that, are these things of any culinary use? I bought them
from a grocery store (Newflower Market), so I figure they must be
edible. Or at least make you wish you had some real food.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> I bought a half pound of these for no apparent reason . Now I'm
> thinking I'll chiaafy the front of my house. Or maybe the roof.
> Will chia grow on asphalt or limestone? What makes it stick to the
> clay when they "spread" it on?
>
> Barring that, are these things of any culinary use? I bought them
> from a grocery store (Newflower Market), so I figure they must be
> edible. Or at least make you wish you had some real food.
>
> -sw

Chia seeds are a traditional food of the native american tribe featured
in the book, "Born to Run," see

http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidde.../dp/0307266303

My wife has started having some for their health benefits - once a day,
she puts a teaspoon (?) of the seeds into a glass of water, lets it sit
for five minutes, and drinks it. She's been doing this for a few months
now, and when I ask her how she likes the whole business, she nods her
head in the affirmative - pleased, although I wouldn't say enthusiastic.

If you Google the name of the tribe, Tarahumara, along with the words
like chia or diet or recipes, you'll find plenty to read.

If you've ever been a runner (I used to be), you'll enjoy reading the
book as well.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> I bought a half pound of these for no apparent reason .

> Barring that, are these things of any culinary use? I bought them
> from a grocery store (Newflower Market), so I figure they must be
> edible.

Bad logic. I buy lye and bleach at the grocery store.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I'm sure they're healthy, but that's why I added the disclaimer,
> "...wishing for real food" ;-)

They are already someone's "real" food, the Tarahumara.

I'm not saying you have to like them, but if they're an acquired taste,
you might have to try them for a while before giving up. Or not - your
choice, of course.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 19:55:58 -0500, Steve Freides wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> I'm sure they're healthy, but that's why I added the disclaimer,
>> "...wishing for real food" ;-)

> They are already someone's "real" food, the Tarahumara.
>
> I'm not saying you have to like them, but if they're an acquired taste,
> you might have to try them for a while before giving up. Or not - your
> choice, of course.

OK, I admit I didn't even STFW before I posted. The seed has
interesting properties, worth experimenting with.

http://pals2u.tripod.com/id20.html
(probably not the most credible site - Tripod. But enough to
warrant reading more)

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 20:03:52 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> Barring that, are these things of any culinary use?

> A quick google search showed plenty of recipe discussion. Looks like
> they make a thickener when soaked in water.

But... has anybody her ever eaten them? There's recipes out there
for jenkem, but that doesn't mean anybody is actually using them.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 Nov 2010 16:03:31 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Wed 17 Nov 2010 11:53:12p, Sqwertz told us...
>
>> I bought a half pound of these for no apparent reason . Now I'm
>> thinking I'll chiaafy the front of my house. Or maybe the roof.
>> Will chia grow on asphalt or limestone? What makes it stick to the
>> clay when they "spread" it on?
>>
>> Barring that, are these things of any culinary use? I bought them
>> from a grocery store (Newflower Market), so I figure they must be
>> edible. Or at least make you wish you had some real food.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> First you grow the chia pet. Then you slaughter and eat it.

<snort>

lotsa minerals there, i bet.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> I bought a half pound of these for no apparent reason . Now I'm
> thinking I'll chiaafy the front of my house. Or maybe the roof.
> Will chia grow on asphalt or limestone? What makes it stick to the
> clay when they "spread" it on?
>
> Barring that, are these things of any culinary use? I bought them
> from a grocery store (Newflower Market), so I figure they must be
> edible. Or at least make you wish you had some real food.
>
> -sw

It's all the rage at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue:

https://www.americanchia.com/flare/next?rtag=chiaobama&

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>I bought a half pound of these for no apparent reason . Now I'm
> thinking I'll chiaafy the front of my house. Or maybe the roof.
> Will chia grow on asphalt or limestone? What makes it stick to the
> clay when they "spread" it on?
>
> Barring that, are these things of any culinary use? I bought them
> from a grocery store (Newflower Market), so I figure they must be
> edible. Or at least make you wish you had some real food.

I just gel them (put in water and then in the fridge overnight) and then eat
them in the morning. Just a few spoonfuls in a small paper cup. They have
very little taste. Perhaps slightly nutty. But they are a great source of
easily digestible protein.

The guy who runs my health food store said he puts his in smoothies. He
gels his too, but he said you can use them as is. Gelling them does make
all of the nutrients more easily absorbable to the body. In made a smoothie
for my daughter with them and she hated it.

Raw foodists will add them to any smooth and creamy foods, like salad
dressings and puddings.

I think they can be used interchangeably for flax seeds because they both
form a gel in water and have the same sort of consistency.

I don't think they are the sort of thing that people eat for the taste. I
think they eat them for the health benefits.

school for culinary arts, culinary arts usa, culinary arts schools,culinary arts recipe [email protected] General Cooking 0 15-02-2009 07:56 PM
Chia Pet Barking Dog[_2_] Diabetic 1 23-10-2008 04:28 AM
Your culinary Leading Resource For culinary Information [email protected] General Cooking 0 27-05-2008 09:18 PM
Your culinary Leading Resource For culinary Information [email protected] General Cooking 0 27-05-2008 09:16 PM
Chia Seeds in Bread? Raj V Baking 8 08-12-2004 08:35 PM