Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Bread

On 10/09/2020 07:09, F Murtz wrote:
> Is it possible to make bread the same as it was 70 years ago as was
> delivered by horse and cart?

Horse and cart deliveries disappeared long before 1950, AFAIK, except
possibly in some deep country areas. I was born in 1953, and my
childhood bread came from the village store or from the bread van which
was definitely motorised because I used to imitate the noise for my
parents' amusement.

The bread itself was probably much the same as home-made bread now,
though. My mother regarded sliced white pan wrapped in cellophane as an
American mistake :-)

Posted to rec.food.baking

On 18/9/20 12:49 am, Peter Flynn wrote:
> On 10/09/2020 07:09, F Murtz wrote:
>> Is it possible to make bread the same as it was 70 years ago as was
>> delivered by horse and cart?

> Horse and cart deliveries disappeared long before 1950, AFAIK, except
> possibly in some deep country areas. I was born in 1953, and my
> childhood bread came from the village store or from the bread van which
> was definitely motorised because I used to imitate the noise for my
> parents' amusement.
>
> The bread itself was probably much the same as home-made bread now,
> though. My mother regarded sliced white pan wrapped in cellophane as an
> American mistake :-)

The bread was made commercial bakeries that exist now but was different
in texture ( I used to walk miles to the bakery and ride back home in
the cart with the deliverer