Old 18-09-2020, 10:18 AM posted to rec.food.baking
F Murtz F Murtz is offline

Default Bread

On 18/9/20 12:49 am, Peter Flynn wrote:
On 10/09/2020 07:09, F Murtz wrote:
Is it possible to make bread the same as it was 70 years ago as was
delivered by horse and cart?

Horse and cart deliveries disappeared long before 1950, AFAIK, except
possibly in some deep country areas. I was born in 1953, and my
childhood bread came from the village store or from the bread van which
was definitely motorised because I used to imitate the noise for my
parents' amusement.

The bread itself was probably much the same as home-made bread now,
though. My mother regarded sliced white pan wrapped in cellophane as an
American mistake :-)

The bread was made commercial bakeries that exist now but was different
in texture ( I used to walk miles to the bakery and ride back home in
the cart with the deliverer