Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

Default Boxed Cake Mix Better Than From Scratch ???

"Ranée at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> I used to buy the chocolate layer cakes. I too liked them for their
>> small
>> size. I don't eat cake but I would take them to work for parties and
>> things. We didn't have a lot of people in our office. If I were to bake
>> cake, it would be too much.

> Can you not halve the recipe?

I don't bake cakes any more. Haven't for many years. I would suspect that
any cake I would have made from scratch would probably have had to have half
an egg in it if I halved the recipe. But most of my cakes were the boxed
mix and in those days the boxed mixes in the stores made two layers. Yes,
one could have halved it but it would have been a PITA I think. You'd have
to either weigh or measure the mix out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

> > * Can you not halve the recipe?
>
> I don't bake cakes any more. *Haven't for many years. *I would suspect that
> any cake I would have made from scratch would probably have had to have half
> an egg in it if I halved the recipe. *But most of my cakes were the boxed
> mix and in those days the boxed mixes in the stores made two layers. *Yes,
> one could have halved it but it would have been a PITA I think. *You'd have
> to either weigh or measure the mix out.

Dividing the mix doesn't make sense to me. I will make the entire
recipe and freeze the extra layer for use within the next month. A
yellow cake layer is invaluable for a quick dessert. So easy to split
the layer, add a filling and top with a ganache.