David Spears

Default Flourless and Sugar-Free Cake

Hi. I'm trying to make a flourless and sugar-free cake (I'm an
Atkins-doer), and I was wondering if anyone had any good experiences
or recipes. I'm using Splenda, which is a pretty good sugar
substitute but still has that bite that won't quite go away. Perhaps
a combination of sugar and Splenda (50/50, 75/25, ?), or something
else?

Also, I'd also like to get some opinions on where I can find higher
quality unsweetened baking chocolate. Any favorite brands?

I appreciate any help. Thank you.

Regards,
David
Boron Elgar

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:33:39 -0700, Eric Jorgensen

(David Spears) wrote:

>> Hi. I'm trying to make a flourless and sugar-free cake (I'm an
>> Atkins-doer), and I was wondering if anyone had any good experiences

> You can't have cake. Deal.
>
> Well, ok, lets look at the options. There are some highly scientific,
>flat-out scary formulations for low-carb gluten-free bread, for example,
>so I guess there's a chance. But what are you going to make it out of?
>bean flour?

Dust bunnies.

Boron
Eric Jorgensen

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:43:08 -0500
Boron Elgar > wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:33:39 -0700, Eric Jorgensen
> > wrote:
>
> >On 17 Feb 2004 12:25:02 -0800
> (David Spears) wrote:
> >
> >> Hi. I'm trying to make a flourless and sugar-free cake (I'm an
> >> Atkins-doer), and I was wondering if anyone had any good

> >experiences
> >

> > You can't have cake. Deal.
> >
> > Well, ok, lets look at the options. There are some highly
> > scientific,
> >flat-out scary formulations for low-carb gluten-free bread, for
> >example, so I guess there's a chance. But what are you going to make
> >it out of? bean flour?

> Dust bunnies.

Well, lets look at the science.

Cake is a carefully crafted matrix of starch, sugar, fat, and protein.

The protein here is largely from albumen, though I'm sure that what
protein does exist in cake flour plays some part.

Sugar is not just a sweetener, it's a structural component and adds to
the texture of the cake. I have no idea if chlorinated sugar works as
well here.

So lets say you buy some bean flour, which i hear has almost no carbs.
Great. I honestly can't imagine that bean flour will work properly. You
might end up with brownies. Cake exists by the grace of air trapped in a
flour-based batter. I do not speak from experience, but I'm betting that
bean flour and splenda aren't going to have the same ability to form
little bubbles.

Even if you make something tht works, the texture and flavor aren't
going to be right. It's not going to be'cake'. It's going to be a
substance that resembles cake. You may as well use some yogurt in the
mix.

I'm sorry, I just get all bent out of shape over dieters substitutions.
You chose a life without carbs. Why now are you seeking the shadow of
lost carbs?
Roy Basan

(David Spears) wrote in message . com>...
> Hi. I'm trying to make a flourless and sugar-free cake (I'm an
> Atkins-doer), and I was wondering if anyone had any good experiences
> or recipes. I'm using Splenda, which is a pretty good sugar
> substitute but still has that bite that won't quite go away. Perhaps
> a combination of sugar and Splenda (50/50, 75/25, ?), or something
> else?
>
> Also, I'd also like to get some opinions on where I can find higher
> quality unsweetened baking chocolate. Any favorite brands?
>
> I appreciate any help. Thank you.
>
> Regards,
> David

I do not see the point of removing the flour and sugar which are the
critical ingredients in a cake.
I had some few experiences with these so called sugarless and
flourless cakes but I rated them as pure CRAP.
Even if they are nicely presented and tastefully decorated with sugar
free decorations;From my own standards,
I cannot label them as cake as the texture , apperarance etc. is
different and the sensory quality is offensive that taste panels
ended up rating ( simply stated ) thumbs down ..
If you really loved life why deprive yourself of the enjoyment if you
are not suffering from some sort of food allergy?
Anyway whether you practice or not an Atkins fad diet you will not
become immortal anyway...We all die in the end.
Therefore if you love to eat cake enjoy the real one not the modified
fabricated item.
Roy
Scott

In article >,
(David Spears) wrote:

> Hi. I'm trying to make a flourless and sugar-free cake (I'm an
> Atkins-doer), and I was wondering if anyone had any good experiences
> or recipes. I'm using Splenda, which is a pretty good sugar
> substitute but still has that bite that won't quite go away. Perhaps
> a combination of sugar and Splenda (50/50, 75/25, ?), or something
> else?

One of the Atkins recipe books has a cheesecake recipe which isn't bad.
Looking around online, I came across the following, which seems to be
close to it:

Ingredients:
3- 8 ounce packages of Philly Cream Cheese
25-30 Splenda Packets or equivalent sugar-substitute
2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
3 whole eggs
1 cup sour cream

Preheat Oven To 375 Degrees F

1. Soften cream cheese in a large bowl.
2. With an electric mixer, blend cream cheese ALONE until creamy and of
an even consistency.
3. Add sugar, vanilla and sour cream and blend until incorporated.
4. *Important* Add eggs ONE at a time and blend after each until
incorporated into batter.
5. Spray a 9 or 10 inch glass pie pan with Pam to prevent sticking.
6. Add Batter to pie pan.
7. *Important, but not necessary* Place first pan in a larger pan filled
with water. This prevents the cheesecake from cracking and keeps it
moist inside.
8. Place both pans in oven for 45 minutes or until somewhat firm in the
center.

----
There are a TON of low-carb recipe sites that you can find if you Google
it.

> Also, I'd also like to get some opinions on where I can find higher
> quality unsweetened baking chocolate. Any favorite brands?

Ghirardelli

please mail OT responses only
CRO

Wanna do it the simple way? Get the Adkins bake mixes or muffen mixes
and work from there...a little sour cream here....an xtra egg yoke
there, some crushed Endulgence bars....some ground nuts... some sugar
free coffee flavorings. Let me know what you find. I like the banana
nut muffen with some chopped nuts and a dab of sour cream mixed in and
baked in a loaf.

Scott wrote:
> In article >,
> (David Spears) wrote:
>

>>Hi. I'm trying to make a flourless and sugar-free cake (I'm an
>>Atkins-doer), and I was wondering if anyone had any good experiences
>>or recipes. I'm using Splenda, which is a pretty good sugar
>>substitute but still has that bite that won't quite go away. Perhaps
>>a combination of sugar and Splenda (50/50, 75/25, ?), or something
>>else?

> One of the Atkins recipe books has a cheesecake recipe which isn't bad.
> Looking around online, I came across the following, which seems to be
> close to it:
>
> Ingredients:
> 3- 8 ounce packages of Philly Cream Cheese
> 25-30 Splenda Packets or equivalent sugar-substitute
> 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
> 3 whole eggs
> 1 cup sour cream
>
> Preheat Oven To 375 Degrees F
>
> 1. Soften cream cheese in a large bowl.
> 2. With an electric mixer, blend cream cheese ALONE until creamy and of
> an even consistency.
> 3. Add sugar, vanilla and sour cream and blend until incorporated.
> 4. *Important* Add eggs ONE at a time and blend after each until
> incorporated into batter.
> 5. Spray a 9 or 10 inch glass pie pan with Pam to prevent sticking.
> 6. Add Batter to pie pan.
> 7. *Important, but not necessary* Place first pan in a larger pan filled
> with water. This prevents the cheesecake from cracking and keeps it
> moist inside.
> 8. Place both pans in oven for 45 minutes or until somewhat firm in the
> center.
>
> ----
> There are a TON of low-carb recipe sites that you can find if you Google
> it.
>

>>Also, I'd also like to get some opinions on where I can find higher
>>quality unsweetened baking chocolate. Any favorite brands?

> Ghirardelli

Betsy

(David Spears) wrote in message . com>...
> Hi. I'm trying to make a flourless and sugar-free cake (I'm an
> Atkins-doer), and I was wondering if anyone had any good experiences
> or recipes. I'm using Splenda, which is a pretty good sugar
> substitute but still has that bite that won't quite go away. Perhaps
> a combination of sugar and Splenda (50/50, 75/25, ?), or something
> else?
>
> Also, I'd also like to get some opinions on where I can find higher
> quality unsweetened baking chocolate. Any favorite brands?
>
> I appreciate any help. Thank you.
>
> Regards,
> David

You didn't mention what would replace the flour, so here's one w/
nuts. I assume you could substitute Splenda for some sugar, I've
never done that, but sounds like you have.

Chocolate Nut Torte

2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
½ cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs
1 1/4 cups ground pecans or other nuts (see note)
2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur (optional) or Orange juice or
zest

For glaze:

2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1/4 cup (½ stick) butter or margarine

Pecan halves, for garnish

Melt chocolate morsels in microwave or over simmering water in double
boiler. Let cool.

Meanwhile, in small bowl of electric mixer, cream butter. Gradually
add sugar, mixing at high speed, until light and fluffy, about 5
minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
(Batter will appear to have curdled, but this is normal.) With mixer
on low speed, add melted chocolate chips, nuts and orange liqueur.

Butter an 8-inch round pan; line bottom with waxed paper. Pour batter
into prepared pan. Bake in preheated 375-degree oven 25 minutes.
Center of cake will seem moist and underbaked.

Let cake cool in pan 30 minutes. Run knife around edge of cake, and
invert cake onto wire cake rack. Remove pan and paper from cake. Let
cake cool a few hours.

To prepare glaze: Melt chocolate morsels and butter in microwave or in
double boiler. Spread glaze on top and sides of cake. Garnish top of
cake with pecan halves.

Yield: 10 servings.

Note: 2 cups of pecan halves yielded 1 1/4 cups ground pecans. The
ground nuts take the place of flour in this recipe.

Tester's note: The results are excellent. This type of cake freezes
beautifully, but you may want to glaze it after thawing.