Eric Jorgensen

Default Flourless and Sugar-Free Cake

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:43:08 -0500
Boron Elgar > wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:33:39 -0700, Eric Jorgensen
> > wrote:
>
> >On 17 Feb 2004 12:25:02 -0800
> (David Spears) wrote:
> >
> >> Hi. I'm trying to make a flourless and sugar-free cake (I'm an
> >> Atkins-doer), and I was wondering if anyone had any good

> >experiences
> >

> > You can't have cake. Deal.
> >
> > Well, ok, lets look at the options. There are some highly
> > scientific,
> >flat-out scary formulations for low-carb gluten-free bread, for
> >example, so I guess there's a chance. But what are you going to make
> >it out of? bean flour?

> Dust bunnies.

Well, lets look at the science.

Cake is a carefully crafted matrix of starch, sugar, fat, and protein.

The protein here is largely from albumen, though I'm sure that what
protein does exist in cake flour plays some part.

Sugar is not just a sweetener, it's a structural component and adds to
the texture of the cake. I have no idea if chlorinated sugar works as
well here.

So lets say you buy some bean flour, which i hear has almost no carbs.
Great. I honestly can't imagine that bean flour will work properly. You
might end up with brownies. Cake exists by the grace of air trapped in a
flour-based batter. I do not speak from experience, but I'm betting that
bean flour and splenda aren't going to have the same ability to form
little bubbles.

Even if you make something tht works, the texture and flavor aren't
going to be right. It's not going to be'cake'. It's going to be a
substance that resembles cake. You may as well use some yogurt in the
mix.

I'm sorry, I just get all bent out of shape over dieters substitutions.
You chose a life without carbs. Why now are you seeking the shadow of
lost carbs?