Darrell Grainger

Default using different size pans

Greetings,

First, thanks to everyone who helped me with finding a carrot cake recipe
for my sister-in-law's wedding.

I have two recipes that seem good. One calls for an 8 inch round pan and
the other calls for a 9x13 pan. I've always used a pan size that is close
to the original recipe. I've never tried adapting to a much larger pan.

My question for the newsgroup is, if the batter uses 8 inch round by 1.5
inch deep, can I use a 12x18 by 1.5 inch deep at the same temperature? I'm
assuming the cake will take longer to cook but will it still cook okay? Do
I have to alter the temperature? Do some recipes just not scale to a
larger pan?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Don't send e-mail to
Darrell Grainger

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, JimL wrote:

> (Darrell Grainger) wrote in message >...
> > Greetings,
> >
> > First, thanks to everyone who helped me with finding a carrot cake recipe
> > for my sister-in-law's wedding.
> >
> > I have two recipes that seem good. One calls for an 8 inch round pan and
> > the other calls for a 9x13 pan. I've always used a pan size that is close
> > to the original recipe. I've never tried adapting to a much larger pan.
> >
> > My question for the newsgroup is, if the batter uses 8 inch round by 1.5
> > inch deep, can I use a 12x18 by 1.5 inch deep at the same temperature? I'm
> > assuming the cake will take longer to cook but will it still cook okay? Do
> > I have to alter the temperature? Do some recipes just not scale to a
> > larger pan?
> >
> > Any help will be greatly appreciated.

> If you are using a larger pan for the recipe, wouldn't you also have
> to increase the ingredients? I do't remember the geometry to figure
> the volume of a circle, but it sounds like you are doubling the pan
> volume size.
>
> If/once you have that figured out, if the thickness (depth) of the
> cake batter is similar, then I would guess that the cooking time would
> be pretty much the same. If denser, in a heaver pan, etc., you may
> need to increase the cooking time. But for a cake, really, instead of
> the math, keep checking with the toothpick-comes-out-clean method to
> see if it's ready.
>
> Anyone else with more experience, please chime in.

I now have more experience. I did the math and increased the ingredients.
The depth of the batter in the 18x12 pan was the same as the original
recipe in the 8 inch round. It worked fine. No need to change the
temperature. I did monitor it. Used the toothpick method and it took a
little longer then the 8 inch round (I was expecting that).

Accidently broke one of the layers and had to make an extra batch. Use the
broken cake as a sampler. It turned out great. Now have two 2-layer slab
cakes for a wedding this evening!

Don't send e-mail to