Old 27-07-2004, 05:21 PM
Margaret Robinson

Default Buttercream icing or glaze? Advice please.

I'm covering a chocolate cake in rolled fondant. I've never used rolled
fondant before. From what I understand, a thin layer of buttercream icing
is generally used to smooth the cake surface and help the fondant stick. No
problem.

But I also want to use a layer of raspberry filling and possibly glaze the
cake in raspberry flavour. Can/should I do this under the buttercream or is
the glaze itself sufficient?

I'm also kind of concerned about putting a light colour fondant over top of
a dark cake. A glaze wouldn't help block the dark colour, but buttercream
would.

Is there anyone with cake experience who can provide some guidance on this?

Old 28-07-2004, 03:09 AM
JRG

Normally the glaze would suffice, but since it is a dark cake I would do a
thin layer of buttercream for visual purposes.

. ..