Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Buttercream Icing For Piping

Been online for a while searching for a white buttercream piping recipe
using no shortening as looking through my old notes from few years past
when I took a Wilton cake class and can remember their buttercream
recipe was totally disgusting.

I've gone through Rose Levy Beranbaum's book The Cake Bible and still
not what am looking for.

I would be using the recipe this Sunday for a character cake am baking,
it's nothing fancy but don't want the taste of Crisco either.

If anyone has a simple buttercream recipe they use for piping they like
to share I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 13 Jun 2008 11:11:18p, ms. tonya told us...

> Been online for a while searching for a white buttercream piping recipe
> using no shortening as looking through my old notes from few years past
> when I took a Wilton cake class and can remember their buttercream
> recipe was totally disgusting.
>
> I've gone through Rose Levy Beranbaum's book The Cake Bible and still
> not what am looking for.
>
> I would be using the recipe this Sunday for a character cake am baking,
> it's nothing fancy but don't want the taste of Crisco either.
>
> If anyone has a simple buttercream recipe they use for piping they like
> to share I would be grateful.
>
> Thanks.

I think it's unlikely that you'll find a *white* buttercream that is
pipeable that doesn't use solid vegetable shortening. The only other white
fat I'm aware of is lard, and I doubt you'd like that taste either.
Buttercream definitely requires a fat, especially if you plan to pipe it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 06(VI)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ms. tonya wrote:
> Been online for a while searching for a white buttercream piping
> recipe using no shortening as looking through my old notes from few
> years past when I took a Wilton cake class and can remember their
> buttercream recipe was totally disgusting.
>
> I've gone through Rose Levy Beranbaum's book The Cake Bible and still
> not what am looking for.
>
> I would be using the recipe this Sunday for a character cake am
> baking, it's nothing fancy but don't want the taste of Crisco either.
>
> If anyone has a simple buttercream recipe they use for piping they
> like to share I would be grateful.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...eam_8452.shtml

You don't have to make it chocolate

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 13 Jun 2008 11:11:18p, ms. tonya told us...
>
>> Been online for a while searching for a white buttercream piping
>> recipe using no shortening as looking through my old notes from few
>> years past when I took a Wilton cake class and can remember their
>> buttercream recipe was totally disgusting.
>>
>> I've gone through Rose Levy Beranbaum's book The Cake Bible and still
>> not what am looking for.
>>
>> I would be using the recipe this Sunday for a character cake am
>> baking, it's nothing fancy but don't want the taste of Crisco either.
>>
>> If anyone has a simple buttercream recipe they use for piping they
>> like to share I would be grateful.
>>
>> Thanks.

> I think it's unlikely that you'll find a *white* buttercream that is
> pipeable that doesn't use solid vegetable shortening. The only other
> white fat I'm aware of is lard, and I doubt you'd like that taste
> either. Buttercream definitely requires a fat, especially if you plan
> to pipe it.

I have always used butter, as the name suggests. I don't know what Crisco
is and I would never use lard

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 4:58*am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > On Fri 13 Jun 2008 11:11:18p, ms. tonya told us...

> >> Been online for a while searching for a white buttercream piping
> >> recipe using no shortening as looking through my old notes from few
> >> years past when I took a Wilton cake class and can remember their
> >> buttercream recipe was totally disgusting.

> >> I've gone through Rose Levy Beranbaum's book The Cake Bible and still
> >> not what am looking for.

> >> I would be using the recipe this Sunday for a character cake am
> >> baking, it's nothing fancy but don't want the taste of Crisco either.

> >> If anyone has a simple buttercream recipe they use for piping *they
> >> like to share I would be grateful.

> >> Thanks.

> > I think it's unlikely that you'll find a *white* buttercream that is
> > pipeable that doesn't use solid vegetable shortening. *The only other
> > white fat I'm aware of is lard, and I doubt you'd like that taste
> > either. Buttercream definitely requires a fat, especially if you plan
> > to pipe it.

I don't think you can get it to be "white," but going heavier on the
sugar is the way to make the buttercream stiffer, and more suitable
for piping.

> I have always used butter, as the name suggests. *I don't know what Crisco
> is and I would never use lard.

In 2008, only a fool would consider Crisco edible. It is partially
hydrogenated vegetable oil.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> I have always used butter, as the name suggests. I don't know what Crisco

Hydrogenated vegetable shortening. Solid at room temperature. White
(although they also make a yellow "butter-flavored" version) in color.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Huffy and Bubbles Do France: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 7:49*am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *"Ophelia" > wrote:
> > I have always used butter, as the name suggests. *I don't know what Crisco

> Hydrogenated vegetable shortening. *Solid at room temperature. *White
> (although they also make a yellow "butter-flavored" version) in color. *

Not fit for human consumption.

> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ms. tonya" > wrote in message
> Been online for a while searching for a white buttercream piping recipe
> using no shortening as looking through my old notes from few years past
> when I took a Wilton cake class and can remember their buttercream
> recipe was totally disgusting.
>
> I've gone through Rose Levy Beranbaum's book The Cake Bible and still
> not what am looking for.
>
> I would be using the recipe this Sunday for a character cake am baking,
> it's nothing fancy but don't want the taste of Crisco either.
>
> If anyone has a simple buttercream recipe they use for piping they like
> to share I would be grateful.
>
> Thanks.

What are you looking for?

Not butter cream frosting I suspect;

By definition BUTTER CREAM contains butter.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

buttercream
A light, creamy frosting made with softened butter, confectioners' sugar,
egg yolks and milk or light cream. This uncooked frosting is beaten until
light and creamy. It can be flavored in many ways and is used both as a
filling and frosting for a variety of cakes and pastries.
© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 13, 11:11 pm, (ms. tonya) wrote:
[snip]
> If anyone has a simple buttercream recipe they use for piping
>they like to share I would be grateful.

Butter Frosting

INGREDIENTS:
1/3 cup butter, room temperature
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 egg yolk
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
1-2 TBS. Half-and-half

METHOD:
Cream butter; gradually add about half the sugar, blending well. Beat
in egg yolk and vanilla. Gradually blend in remaining sugar. Add only
enough cream to assist with consistency.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 14 Jun 2008 02:58:40a, Ophelia told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Fri 13 Jun 2008 11:11:18p, ms. tonya told us...
>>
>>> Been online for a while searching for a white buttercream piping
>>> recipe using no shortening as looking through my old notes from few
>>> years past when I took a Wilton cake class and can remember their
>>> buttercream recipe was totally disgusting.
>>>
>>> I've gone through Rose Levy Beranbaum's book The Cake Bible and still
>>> not what am looking for.
>>>
>>> I would be using the recipe this Sunday for a character cake am
>>> baking, it's nothing fancy but don't want the taste of Crisco either.
>>>
>>> If anyone has a simple buttercream recipe they use for piping they
>>> like to share I would be grateful.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> I think it's unlikely that you'll find a *white* buttercream that is
>> pipeable that doesn't use solid vegetable shortening. The only other
>> white fat I'm aware of is lard, and I doubt you'd like that taste
>> either. Buttercream definitely requires a fat, especially if you plan
>> to pipe it.

> I have always used butter, as the name suggests. I don't know what
> Crisco is and I would never use lard

Ophelia, butter *should* be used in buttercream frosting, hence its name.
However, as delicious as it may taste, it doesn't produce a pristinely
white frosting, which is apparently what the OP wants. In the US, solid
vegetable shortening (the dominant brand is Crisco), is often used both
commercially and by the home bakers to make buttercream frostings that are
a very pure white. They never taste as good as those made with butter, but
they are definitely white. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 06(VI)/14(XIV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ms. tonya" > wrote in message
> Been online for a while searching for a white buttercream piping recipe
> using no shortening as looking through my old notes from few years past
> when I took a Wilton cake class and can remember their buttercream
> recipe was totally disgusting.
>
> I've gone through Rose Levy Beranbaum's book The Cake Bible and still
> not what am looking for.
>
> I would be using the recipe this Sunday for a character cake am baking,
> it's nothing fancy but don't want the taste of Crisco either.
>
> If anyone has a simple buttercream recipe they use for piping they like
> to share I would be grateful.
>
> Thanks.

I make and decorate alot of cakes, and don't use the traditional frostings. Because,
for me, taste is as important, if not more important, as appearance, so I use a
modified cream cheese frosting for cakes that will be eaten in relatively short time
periods.
Here's what I use:
6 ounces cream cheese
4 Tbsp butter
1 tsp extract (depending on color/cake, it may be vanilla, almond, orange or lemon)
4-7 tbsp half&half
4-6 cups powdered sugar

Depending on what I'm making, I may substitute other liquids, such as espresso or
juice for additional flavor.

First, the cream cheese and the butter both need to be room temp, soft. Beat with the
paddle attachment of your mixer. Add 3 cups powdered sugar and 2 tbsp half& half, and
extract. Beat for a minute or two, then check consistency. Add another cup of
powdered sugar. Depending on how humid it is, you adjust at this point the amount of
liquid you add. If you add too much, you can add a bit more sugar. Do a teaspoon at a
time...easier to add more than to take away! When it reaches the consistency you
want, you're done.

I use gel & powdered food colorings, so they don't have much of an effect on the
texture. If it's warm and the icing is getting too soft, just refrigerate for a bit.

You can also make a quick & simple buttercream using just butter instead of butter &
cream cheese.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>Ophelia, butter *should* be used in buttercream frosting,
>hence its name. However, as delicious as it may taste,
>it doesn't produce a pristinely white frosting, which is
>apparently what the OP wants.

Mostly guessing here, but...

I wonder if a titanium dioxide based white food coloring
in the frosting would do the job? Maybe a professional
bakery supply store might have it. That stuff's *white*
white. If the frosting is still a bit butter-yellowish,
maybe a tiny bit of the complementary color would fix it.

--
Mike Van Pelt | Wikipedia. The roulette wheel of knowledge.
mvp at calweb.com | --Blair P. Houghton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike Van Pelt" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> In article 0>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>Ophelia, butter *should* be used in buttercream frosting,
>>hence its name. However, as delicious as it may taste,
>>it doesn't produce a pristinely white frosting, which is
>>apparently what the OP wants.

> Mostly guessing here, but...
>
> I wonder if a titanium dioxide based white food coloring
> in the frosting would do the job? Maybe a professional
> bakery supply store might have it. That stuff's *white*
> white. If the frosting is still a bit butter-yellowish,
> maybe a tiny bit of the complementary color would fix it.
>
> --
> Mike Van Pelt |

Strictly a personal opinion, but really, what is so damned important about
something being dazzlingly white that one would want to eat something
disgusting or proven bad for one's health? Isn't pale ivory good enough?
It's certainly good enough for the really famous cake people, like Colette.
If you just avoid butter tinted with annato it won't be very far off white
and it will be the natural white that food is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 15 Jun 2008 12:40:38a, Giusi told us...

> "Mike Van Pelt" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> In article 0>,
>> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>>Ophelia, butter *should* be used in buttercream frosting, hence its
>>>name. However, as delicious as it may taste, it doesn't produce a
>>>pristinely white frosting, which is apparently what the OP wants.

>> Mostly guessing here, but...
>>
>> I wonder if a titanium dioxide based white food coloring
>> in the frosting would do the job? Maybe a professional
>> bakery supply store might have it. That stuff's *white*
>> white. If the frosting is still a bit butter-yellowish, maybe a tiny
>> bit of the complementary color would fix it.
>>
>> --
>> Mike Van Pelt |

> Strictly a personal opinion, but really, what is so damned important
> about something being dazzlingly white that one would want to eat
> something disgusting or proven bad for one's health? Isn't pale ivory
> good enough? It's certainly good enough for the really famous cake
> people, like Colette. If you just avoid butter tinted with annato it
> won't be very far off white and it will be the natural white that food
> is.

I've never understood the desire for blindingly white food of any type.
It's just not a natural ocurrence.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 06(VI)/15(XV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 07:49:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sun 15 Jun 2008 12:40:38a, Giusi told us...
>
>> "Mike Van Pelt" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>>
>>> Mostly guessing here, but...
>>>
>>> I wonder if a titanium dioxide based white food coloring
>>> in the frosting would do the job? Maybe a professional
>>> bakery supply store might have it. That stuff's *white*
>>> white. If the frosting is still a bit butter-yellowish, maybe a tiny
>>> bit of the complementary color would fix it.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Van Pelt |

>> Strictly a personal opinion, but really, what is so damned important
>> about something being dazzlingly white that one would want to eat
>> something disgusting or proven bad for one's health? Isn't pale ivory
>> good enough? It's certainly good enough for the really famous cake
>> people, like Colette. If you just avoid butter tinted with annato it
>> won't be very far off white and it will be the natural white that food
>> is.

>I've never understood the desire for blindingly white food of any type.
>It's just not a natural ocurrence.

don't eat the yellow snow!

your pal,
frank

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 15 Jun 2008 09:17:39a, blake murphy told us...

> On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 07:49:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

>>> Strictly a personal opinion, but really, what is so damned important
>>> about something being dazzlingly white that one would want to eat
>>> something disgusting or proven bad for one's health? Isn't pale ivory
>>> good enough? It's certainly good enough for the really famous cake
>>> people, like Colette. If you just avoid butter tinted with annato it
>>> won't be very far off white and it will be the natural white that food
>>> is.

>>I've never understood the desire for blindingly white food of any type.
>>It's just not a natural ocurrence.

> don't eat the yellow snow!
>
> your pal,
> frank

Speaking of snow, "snow ice cream" really is dazzling white.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 06(VI)/15(XV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> In 2008, only a fool would consider Crisco edible. It is partially
> hydrogenated vegetable oil.

Well said.

However, I'm thinking about making some cookies, and wonder what to use
when the recipe says "shortening."

Any reasonably healthy suggestions?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cuthbert Thistlethwaite > wrote:

>However, I'm thinking about making some cookies, and wonder what to use
>when the recipe says "shortening."

>Any reasonably healthy suggestions?

Palm oil, or "zero"-trans-fat Crisco (the latter is not
truly trans fat free, just has less than 0.5 gram trans
fat per "serving", and there's some debate as to
whether the former is "healthy").

You can also just put normal vegetable oil in a batch
of cookies; they will mostly suffer in terms of
mouth feel rather than texture.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 15 Jun 2008 10:44:20a, Cuthbert Thistlethwaite told us...

>> In 2008, only a fool would consider Crisco edible. It is partially
>> hydrogenated vegetable oil.

> Well said.
>
> However, I'm thinking about making some cookies, and wonder what to use
> when the recipe says "shortening."
>
> Any reasonably healthy suggestions?

Either the low trans-fat Crisco, or even pure butter which is not nearly as
unhealthy as some would suggest. Many margarines are very unhealthy.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 06(VI)/15(XV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 15, 12:58*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> Cuthbert Thistlethwaite > wrote:
>
> >However, I'm thinking about making some cookies, and wonder what to use
> >when the recipe says "shortening."
> >Any reasonably healthy suggestions?

> Palm oil, or "zero"-trans-fat Crisco (the latter is not
> truly trans fat free, just has less than 0.5 gram trans
> fat per "serving", and there's some debate as to
> whether the former is "healthy").

That "per serving" thing is really awful. Corporations sometimes act
like sociopaths. Palm oil is healthy enough to consume, but way too
much jungle is being deforested to grow the palms.

> You can also just put normal vegetable oil in a batch
> of cookies; they will mostly suffer in terms of
> mouth feel rather than texture.

That's the best alternative, and use an oil you like. You could melt
a bit of cocoa butter into an oil to thicken it. Cocoa butter is
suprisingly inexpensive, lends a chocolatey flavor, and is basically
neutral as to its effect on blood lipids. Even regular butter, which
is itself bad for plasma lipids is much less bad than the hydrogenated
stuff.

The "mouth feel" thing is something one adjusts to.

> Steve

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 15, 3:05*pm, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> On Sun 15 Jun 2008 10:44:20a, Cuthbert Thistlethwaite told us...
>

> >> In 2008, only a fool would consider Crisco edible. *It is partially
> >> hydrogenated vegetable oil.

> > Well said. *

> > However, I'm thinking about making some cookies, and wonder what to use
> > when the recipe says "shortening."

> > Any reasonably healthy suggestions?

> Either the low trans-fat Crisco,

I could never trust the Crisco name. The Crisco folks are like a
distant cousin who has seduced several of my pre-pubescent nieces*. I
just don't want him around.

> or even pure butter which is not nearly as
> unhealthy as some would suggest. *

Unhealthy, but nowhere near as much as hydrogenated fats. Butter is
delicious. If you're going to do something unhealthy, it should be
something you really enjoy.

>Many margarines are very unhealthy.

All the regular ones are awful, health-wise. The 100% non-
hydrogenated ones are quite healthy, far healthier than butter, but I
value good taste, and they just plain-assed don't taste good. I've
tried them.

* A fictitious charachter made up to illustrate my point. Children
are handy as subjects for borderline examples as most folks agree that
they most often lack the capacity to make critical judgement calls.

> --
> * * * * * * *Wayne Boatwright *

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Buttercream Icing For Piping - Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks for the responses.

4 out of 5 votes for butter tells me something, but I went and got the
0-trans fat Crisco because it was a lot cheaper than the same amount of
butter, for some reason.

Eventually, I'll try the butter and oils too, as well as the 100%
non-hydrogenated margarine.

Putting up with my dumb questions is appreciated. Disclosure is that
I'm a total noo-bee to cooking anything, and pretty clumsy at that, but
as prices keep going up,* it seems smart to try to get better food for
less money, even if I have to do it myself, and the posters here seem to
enjoy the process as well.

* Chicken breast covered in sauce, $20.00 and up. Box of Vanilla
Wafers, $4.00. Downtown Chicago. I like it here, but I'll try making
my own damn chicken and cookies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 18:14:22 -0500, Cuthbert Thistlethwaite
> wrote:

>Putting up with my dumb questions is appreciated. Disclosure is that
>I'm a total noo-bee to cooking anything, and pretty clumsy at that, but
>as prices keep going up,* it seems smart to try to get better food for
>less money, even if I have to do it myself, and the posters here seem to
>enjoy the process as well.

Stick with us, and we will help as much as we can. You are to be
commended for trying this!!

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cuthbert Thistlethwaite > wrote in
:

> it seems smart to try to get better food for
> less money, even if I have to do it myself, and the posters here seem to
> enjoy the process as well.

Trust me crisco isn't better food than butter. It maybe cheaper but not
better. There's are two old sayings....Buyer be ware and you get what you
pay for. The Crisco company makes the veggie shortening outa the cheapest
stuff it can find; to improve it's profits. So does the dairy industry when
making butter. But with butter you get less processing and man made crud.
Research your food buys and try to get the best taste for your buck that is
also the healthier choice....Crisco may be cheaper but butter tastes better
and is more healthy for you.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Giusi > wrote:
>"Mike Van Pelt" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> I wonder if a titanium dioxide based white food coloring
>> in the frosting would do the job?

>Strictly a personal opinion, but really, what is so damned
>important about something being dazzlingly white that one
>would want to eat something disgusting or proven bad for
>one's health?

Titanium dioxide doesn't strike me as "disgusting", and I am
unaware of any study that has indicated, much less proven,
that it is bad for one's health in food. (Breathing the dust
is another matter, but in that case, the same is true for
organically grown whole wheat flour.)

Yeah, I don't see the big deal about the slight yellow tinge
that butter would leave in the frosting, either, but the
original poster wanted pure white frosting. Titanium dioxide
in real butter cream frosting doesn't strike me as one
one-hundredth as disgusting as crisco frosting.

--
Mike Van Pelt | Wikipedia. The roulette wheel of knowledge.
mvp at calweb.com | --Blair P. Houghton
KE6BVH

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> "ms. tonya" > wrote in message
>> Been online for a while searching for a white buttercream piping recipe
>> using no shortening as looking through my old notes from few years past
>> when I took a Wilton cake class and can remember their buttercream
>> recipe was totally disgusting.
>>
>> I've gone through Rose Levy Beranbaum's book The Cake Bible and still
>> not what am looking for.
>>
>> I would be using the recipe this Sunday for a character cake am baking,
>> it's nothing fancy but don't want the taste of Crisco either.
>>
>> If anyone has a simple buttercream recipe they use for piping they like
>> to share I would be grateful.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> I make and decorate alot of cakes, and don't use the traditional frostings.
> Because, for me, taste is as important, if not more important, as appearance,
> so I use a modified cream cheese frosting for cakes that will be eaten in
> relatively short time periods.
> Here's what I use:
> 6 ounces cream cheese
> 4 Tbsp butter
> 1 tsp extract (depending on color/cake, it may be vanilla, almond, orange or
> lemon)
> 4-7 tbsp half&half
> 4-6 cups powdered sugar
>
> Depending on what I'm making, I may substitute other liquids, such as espresso
> or juice for additional flavor.
>
> First, the cream cheese and the butter both need to be room temp, soft. Beat
> with the paddle attachment of your mixer. Add 3 cups powdered sugar and 2 tbsp
> half& half, and extract. Beat for a minute or two, then check consistency. Add
> another cup of powdered sugar. Depending on how humid it is, you adjust at
> this point the amount of liquid you add. If you add too much, you can add a
> bit more sugar. Do a teaspoon at a time...easier to add more than to take
> away! When it reaches the consistency you want, you're done.
>
> I use gel & powdered food colorings, so they don't have much of an effect on
> the texture. If it's warm and the icing is getting too soft, just refrigerate
> for a bit.

A little hint : Over here we add refined coconut oil to the icing - no need for
refrigeration.
If you want the recipe for Other Australian buttercream icing, just give a
holler.

> You can also make a quick & simple buttercream using just butter instead of
> butter & cream cheese.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner