Margaret Robinson

Default Buttercream icing or glaze? Advice please.

I'm covering a chocolate cake in rolled fondant. I've never used rolled
fondant before. From what I understand, a thin layer of buttercream icing
is generally used to smooth the cake surface and help the fondant stick. No
problem.

But I also want to use a layer of raspberry filling and possibly glaze the
cake in raspberry flavour. Can/should I do this under the buttercream or is
the glaze itself sufficient?

I'm also kind of concerned about putting a light colour fondant over top of
a dark cake. A glaze wouldn't help block the dark colour, but buttercream
would.

Is there anyone with cake experience who can provide some guidance on this?

JRG

Normally the glaze would suffice, but since it is a dark cake I would do a
thin layer of buttercream for visual purposes.

. ..