Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default freezing buttercream?

the boy (age 8) thought it would be nice to make cupcakes this
morning, so we made white cake & put strawberry buttercream frosting
on them, all from scratch.
i had to break 5 eggs to get the 4 egg whites, because one went on
the counter instead of in my bowl. oops otherwise, everything went
along nicely. i definately recommend having all ingredients laid out
before starting, especially when baking with a child.
however, due to the 'testing' of freshly baked cupcakes by the boy &
his father, i had 14 to frost instead of 2 dozen, so i have excess
frosting, about 1.25 cups. can i freeze strawberry buttercream or
should i just refrigerate & put it on pancakes for breakfast
tomorrow?
oh, & a recipe that takes 5 yolks would be handy as well.
thanks
lee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
enigma > wrote:

> the boy (age 8) thought it would be nice to make cupcakes this
> morning, so we made white cake & put strawberry buttercream frosting
> on them, all from scratch.
> i had to break 5 eggs to get the 4 egg whites, because one went on
> the counter instead of in my bowl. oops otherwise, everything went
> along nicely. i definately recommend having all ingredients laid out
> before starting, especially when baking with a child.
> however, due to the 'testing' of freshly baked cupcakes by the boy &
> his father, i had 14 to frost instead of 2 dozen, so i have excess
> frosting, about 1.25 cups. can i freeze strawberry buttercream or
> should i just refrigerate & put it on pancakes for breakfast
> tomorrow?
> oh, & a recipe that takes 5 yolks would be handy as well.
> thanks
> lee

I'd be inclined to make more cupcakes, frost them, and freeze them for
another day. JMO.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - pot pie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 16:48:07 +0000 (UTC), enigma >
wrote:

>the boy (age 8) thought it would be nice to make cupcakes this
>morning, so we made white cake & put strawberry buttercream frosting
>on them, all from scratch.
> i had to break 5 eggs to get the 4 egg whites, because one went on
>the counter instead of in my bowl. oops otherwise, everything went
>along nicely. i definately recommend having all ingredients laid out
>before starting, especially when baking with a child.
> however, due to the 'testing' of freshly baked cupcakes by the boy &
>his father, i had 14 to frost instead of 2 dozen, so i have excess
>frosting, about 1.25 cups. can i freeze strawberry buttercream or
>should i just refrigerate & put it on pancakes for breakfast
>tomorrow?
> oh, & a recipe that takes 5 yolks would be handy as well.
>thanks
>lee

Nice to get the children into the kitchen for something other than
grabbing Twinkies and a Coke. I agree about getting the ingredients
out before starting, even when I am alone. Heaven up me if I don't
when there is someone else in the kitchen. CRS.

Today I made an angel food cake, actually in 3 loaf pans. So far I
have gotten rid of 5 of the 12 yolks. DH ate one at breakfast. I
made a baked rice pudding and used 4 yolks instead of 2 whole eggs. I
now have 2 loaves of sourdough bread in the oven. When they come out
I'm taking a nap.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 28, 11:48*am, enigma > wrote:
> the boy (age 8) thought it would be nice to make cupcakes this
> morning, so we made white cake & put strawberry buttercream frosting
> on them, all from scratch.
> *i had to break 5 eggs to get the 4 egg whites, because one went on
> the counter instead of in my bowl. oops otherwise, everything went
> along nicely. i definately recommend having all ingredients laid out
> before starting, especially when baking with a child.
> *however, due to the 'testing' of freshly baked cupcakes by the boy &
> his father, i had 14 to frost instead of 2 dozen, so i have excess
> frosting, about 1.25 cups. can i freeze strawberry buttercream or
> should i just refrigerate & put it on pancakes for breakfast
> tomorrow?
> *oh, & a recipe that takes 5 yolks would be handy as well.

Cut potatoes into 3/4" cubes. Parboil them, then add to a deep saute
pan with hot peanut oil. Fry until browned. Remove onto paper towel,
then into a bowl.. Put egg yolks into the same pan and baste until
all the white clinging to the yolks is well set. Plop yolks down on
top of potatoes, break them and coat the potatoes with yolky
goodness. Salt and pepper to taste. Mmmm.

You could also add the yolks to tomorrow's pancake batter.

> thanks
> lee

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 28, 1:36*pm, The Cook > wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 16:48:07 +0000 (UTC), enigma >
> wrote:
>
> >the boy (age 8) thought it would be nice to make cupcakes this
> >morning, so we made white cake & put strawberry buttercream frosting
> >on them, all from scratch.
> > i had to break 5 eggs to get the 4 egg whites, because one went on
> >the counter instead of in my bowl. oops otherwise, everything went
> >along nicely. i definately recommend having all ingredients laid out
> >before starting, especially when baking with a child.
> > however, due to the 'testing' of freshly baked cupcakes by the boy &
> >his father, i had 14 to frost instead of 2 dozen, so i have excess
> >frosting, about 1.25 cups. can i freeze strawberry buttercream or
> >should i just refrigerate & put it on pancakes for breakfast
> >tomorrow?
> > oh, & a recipe that takes 5 yolks would be handy as well.
> >thanks
> >lee

> Nice to get the children into the kitchen for something other than
> grabbing *Twinkies and a Coke.

You keep Twinkies in your kitchen?

> --
> Susan N.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook > wrote in
:

> Nice to get the children into the kitchen for something other
> than grabbing Twinkies and a Coke. I agree about getting the
> ingredients out before starting, even when I am alone. Heaven
> up me if I don't when there is someone else in the kitchen.
> CRS.

twinkies & coke don't exist in my house. no HFCS allowed & there
are certain food colors that make Boo hyper, so we avoid those as
well. i grew up baking from scratch & so will he
he's been helping in the kitchen since he was 18 months old & he's
got a pretty good grasp of cooking & baking. his teacher says he's
a huge help in the weekly cooking class at school.

> Today I made an angel food cake, actually in 3 loaf pans. So
> far I have gotten rid of 5 of the 12 yolks. DH ate one at
> breakfast. I made a baked rice pudding and used 4 yolks instead
> of 2 whole eggs. I now have 2 loaves of sourdough bread in the
> oven. When they come out I'm taking a nap.

mmm. angel food! the chickens are starting to lay again, so pretty
soon i'll have enough eggs to make angel food. i've decided the
extra yolks are going to be either mayonaise or ice cream.
i'll be starting pizza crust dough in a little while, when the
floor dries (i mopped it, a futile thing this time of year).
lee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma wrote:
> oh, & a recipe that takes 5 yolks would be handy as well.
> thanks
> lee

Chocolate Custard

1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup milk
6 ounces high-quality semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
4 egg yolks

Place cream and milk in heavy 2-quart saucepan. Cook over medium-high
heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture just comes to a boil (2 to 3
minutes). Immediately remove from heat. Add chocolate; whisk until
melted and smooth.

Whisk yolks in large bowl just to blend. Gradually whisk warm chocolate
mixture into beaten yolks. Return chocolate mixture to same saucepan.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and
just begins to bubble (8 to 10 minutes). DO NOT BOIL.

Pour custard evenly among six (3-ounce) custard cups. Cool completely.
Cover; chill 1 hour or until serving time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma wrote:

> oh, & a recipe that takes 5 yolks would be handy as well.
> thanks

I'd make hollandaise or mayo with them, but we don't worry as much as
maybe we should about raw-egg stuff around here. (We eat them rarely
enough, and we don't have anyone with immune-system problems in the house.)

Serene
--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy > wrote in
:

> enigma wrote:
>
>> oh, & a recipe that takes 5 yolks would be handy as well.
>> thanks

> I'd make hollandaise or mayo with them, but we don't worry as
> much as maybe we should about raw-egg stuff around here. (We eat
> them rarely enough, and we don't have anyone with immune-system
> problems in the house.)

these eggs were from my chickens. i'm not at all worried about raw-
egg stuff with them. i know exactly where they've been & how they
were taken care of
Tom wants me to make mayo, but i'm leaning towards custard or ice
cream...
lee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma wrote:
> Serene Vannoy > wrote in
> :
>
>> enigma wrote:
>>
>>> oh, & a recipe that takes 5 yolks would be handy as well.
>>> thanks

>> I'd make hollandaise or mayo with them, but we don't worry as
>> much as maybe we should about raw-egg stuff around here. (We eat
>> them rarely enough, and we don't have anyone with immune-system
>> problems in the house.)

> these eggs were from my chickens. i'm not at all worried about raw-
> egg stuff with them. i know exactly where they've been & how they
> were taken care of
> Tom wants me to make mayo, but i'm leaning towards custard or ice
> cream...

I make a lot of ice cream and if you want the recipe for the best I ever
made, it's here, and it uses exactly 5 yolks:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archive..._butter_c.html

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy > wrote in
:

> I make a lot of ice cream and if you want the recipe for the
> best I ever made, it's here, and it uses exactly 5 yolks:
>
> http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archive...d_butter_c.htm

wow! that looks amazing! thank you!
lee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
enigma > wrote:

> Serene Vannoy > wrote in
> :
>
> > I make a lot of ice cream and if you want the recipe for the
> > best I ever made, it's here, and it uses exactly 5 yolks:
> >
> > http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archive...d_butter_c.htm

> wow! that looks amazing! thank you!

I missed the integral l on the htm and got this the first time. It's
amusing.
<http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2007/04/salted_butter_c.htm>

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 11:48:53 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

> On Mar 28, 1:36*pm, The Cook > wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 16:48:07 +0000 (UTC), enigma >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>the boy (age 8) thought it would be nice to make cupcakes this
>>>morning, so we made white cake & put strawberry buttercream frosting
>>>on them, all from scratch.
>>> i had to break 5 eggs to get the 4 egg whites, because one went on
>>>the counter instead of in my bowl. oops otherwise, everything went
>>>along nicely. i definately recommend having all ingredients laid out
>>>before starting, especially when baking with a child.
>>> however, due to the 'testing' of freshly baked cupcakes by the boy &
>>>his father, i had 14 to frost instead of 2 dozen, so i have excess
>>>frosting, about 1.25 cups. can i freeze strawberry buttercream or
>>>should i just refrigerate & put it on pancakes for breakfast
>>>tomorrow?
>>> oh, & a recipe that takes 5 yolks would be handy as well.
>>>thanks
>>>lee

>> Nice to get the children into the kitchen for something other than
>> grabbing *Twinkies and a Coke.

> You keep Twinkies in your kitchen?

omgomg!!! call the police!!! or at least child protective services!!!

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
enigma > wrote:

> Tom wants me to make mayo, but i'm leaning towards custard or ice
> cream...
> lee

You can make mayo with one egg, Lee. The stick blender recipe works a
treat. You'd still have four for a custard-base ice cream.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - pot pie
"What you say about someone else says more
about you than it does about the other person."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> I make a lot of ice cream and if you want the recipe for the best I ever
> made, it's here, and it uses exactly 5 yolks:
>
> http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archive..._butter_c.html
>
> Serene

Mercy!! How delicious it sounds.