Jo Ann Schiefelbein

Default Bread Machine?

In your opinion what is the best "middle of the road" bread machine on
the market today? Can the parts be bought separately it the original one
wears out?
Jo Ann

Jack Curry

Jo Ann Schiefelbein wrote:
> In your opinion what is the best "middle of the road" bread
> machine on the market today? Can the parts be bought separately it
> the original one wears out?
> Jo Ann

Ask this on alt.bread.recipes, they'll prolly be able to help you.
Jack Curry

Mike Wilde

Thu, 04 Dec 2003 15:40:38 GMT, "Jo Ann Schiefelbein"
> wrote:

> In your opinion what is the best "middle of the road" bread machine on
>the market today? Can the parts be bought separately it the original one
>wears out?
>Jo Ann

Don't worry too much about the best one - think of a bread machine
like a VCR - it has a drive belt, and a little built in computer
microprocessor that runs the thing.

Buy a middle of price range unit from a name brand manufacturer,
preferably when they are on sale.

Name brand means you should be able to find a repair shop that will
have a part to sell you when the belt breaks (not unusual a few years
of every other day service, in our experience).

Buy one that makes a square shaped loaf - round loaves are hell to
slice to make sandwiches with.

If the microprocessor starts to act up - throw the thing out - any
attempted repair will cost you more than the next machine you buy. My
first machine, after 6 years of every other day service packed it in
in this manner last fall

If there is a spring clean out garbage week in your area, that allows
people to trash pick before the remains are collected, then go looking
for 'spare' bread machines to keep on hand in case machine #1 dies. I
did this last year, and found 3- all had just had the drive belt pop
off from the motor pulley. Likely people had tried to make a too dry
or all whole wheat loaf; bacause that is what has happened to me in
the past in these cases.

I just took the bottoms off the machines, where the belt is always
located, put the belts back, and put them back together. All worked
fine after that. One is now in regular service, one sits in the
garage high up on a shelf waiting for the day #1 dies, and the third
got sold off at a garage sale for $20.
Dee Randall

Hi Jo Ann

I've had for my first bread machine a Zo Arishi (spelling), but it is one of
the most expensive. Then I bought another one later for the jam setting and
quick bread setting. I didn't like either of the settings and never used
them.

After the Zo Jorishi's failed me (wore out, I suppose) I bought a cheap
Oster at Costco and I used it for several years and dumped it (wore out)
and bought another cheap Oster - in the $35 range. The only thing I've had
to buy is the little paddle which really get scratched up from me throwing
in nuts and things. I bought 4 of them to have on hand cause I knew it
would happen again.

If I had to buy another bread machine today, I'd go with the Oster.

Hope this helps.

Dee

"Jo Ann Schiefelbein" > wrote in message
. com...
> In your opinion what is the best "middle of the road" bread machine

on
> the market today? Can the parts be bought separately it the original one
> wears out?
> Jo Ann

Dee Randall

As I recall, I called them, and they sent them to me (I recall that I did
pay for them, but I can't remember how much). I'm sorry, but I don't
remember the particulars, nor do I have anything on it in my files.

But if you have the Oster and it's within a year, I'd call them and tell
them that it's scratched up and see what happens. I'll bet they'll send you
one free of charge.Here's a number that's in my booklet 1-800-526-2832.

Probably if you go to google and enter "Oster" you'll get to their site,
perhaps you can order parts on line, as well. But I don't know.

Good luck,
Yes

"Ignoramus24587" > wrote in message
> In article >, Dee Randall wrote:
> > Hi Jo Ann
> >
> > I've had for my first bread machine a Zo Arishi (spelling), but it is

one of
> > the most expensive. Then I bought another one later for the jam setting

and
> > quick bread setting. I didn't like either of the settings and never used
> > them.
> >
> > After the Zo Jorishi's failed me (wore out, I suppose) I bought a cheap
> > Oster at Costco and I used it for several years and dumped it (wore

out)
> > and bought another cheap Oster - in the $35 range. The only thing I've

had
> > to buy is the little paddle which really get scratched up from me

throwing
> > in nuts and things. I bought 4 of them to have on hand cause I knew it
> > would happen again.
> >
> > If I had to buy another bread machine today, I'd go with the Oster.

> Where do you buy those paddles?

Darryl L. Pierce

Default Bread machine parts Braided bread [was: Bread Machine?]

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> I love my Toastmaster.
>
> Kohl's department store has them for under $30 for Christmas.
>
> Simple to use, not terrifically big...nice recipes in the owners manual.
>
> Can't help with spare parts, haven't needed any yet.

My Toastmaster is about 3-4 years old and has a very sqeaky kneading paddle.
I called Toastmaster to buy a replacement, and they said I would have to
replace the entire loaf pan at $60, but they could sell me a new bread
machine for $59.99.

I'm hoping my wife gets me a new bread machine for <$30. Otherwise, I'm
buying one after the holidays.

Speaking of bread, I made a load of braided herb bread the other day to have
with soup. I've never made a braided loaf before, so it was interesting.
But, my problem was that I could *not* roll out the dough. It just kept
sliding across the island rather than rolling. Any suggestions?

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
wildeny

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message >...
> As I recall, I called them, and they sent them to me (I recall that I did
> pay for them, but I can't remember how much). I'm sorry, but I don't
> remember the particulars, nor do I have anything on it in my files.

I have an old Zojirushi bread machine given by my friend. Because of
some problem in the pan after I used > two months, I emailed the
company about it. Guess what? I got the pan and two new paddles for
nothing. It was a great service. By they way, this is the comapny in
Japan. I communicated with them in English since I couldn't speak
Japanese. They even called me after receiving my email. Of course, it
was really difficult to talk with them, but they did try to get a
person who could speak a little English. I'm very statisfied with
their customer service.
Dee Randall

I, too, would buy another Zojirushi if they were just not so darned
expensive! As I recall on my first one, the pan non-stick just wore out on
me -- but the pan replacement then cost a lot!. I'm sure that this problem
has been fixed, it has been so long ago. But right now, I'll just throw out
my Oster and buy another one because they are so cheap and they serve the
purpose. . The bread is good in it, too.

But mostly I only use it for
1) bread doughs that contain lots of whole grains, nuts & dried fruits which
I will then bake on a stone.
2) dough for a pizza

Dee

"wildeny" > wrote in message
om...
> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> > As I recall, I called them, and they sent them to me (I recall that I

did
> > pay for them, but I can't remember how much). I'm sorry, but I don't
> > remember the particulars, nor do I have anything on it in my files.
> >

> I have an old Zojirushi bread machine given by my friend. Because of
> some problem in the pan after I used > two months, I emailed the
> company about it. Guess what? I got the pan and two new paddles for
> nothing. It was a great service. By they way, this is the comapny in
> Japan. I communicated with them in English since I couldn't speak
> Japanese. They even called me after receiving my email. Of course, it
> was really difficult to talk with them, but they did try to get a
> person who could speak a little English. I'm very statisfied with
> their customer service.

occupant

Oster bread machine perfect half loaf 12 grain bread everytime. Pizza
most mornings, cinnamon buns. Don't wait. Best purchase I ever made.

Jo Ann Schiefelbein wrote:

> In your opinion what is the best "middle of the road" bread machine on
> the market today? Can the parts be bought separately it the original one
> wears out?
> Jo Ann

MikeT

"occupant" > wrote in message
> Oster bread machine perfect half loaf 12 grain bread everytime. Pizza
> most mornings, cinnamon buns. Don't wait. Best purchase I ever made.

Pizza?

Now, wouldn't _that_ be something!

dry ingredients in one hopper, sauce in another, cheese in another.

The Super Deluxe model would have slots for other hoppers to hold your
meats/veggies/anchovies/fruits/whatever...

LIMEYNO1

I like ours because it serves two purposes. It's a Philips Breadmaker/oven.
I haven't seen them around lately so perhaps they've gone off the market. I
believe Toastmaster made one like this too.

"Sheryl Rosen" > wrote in message
> in article , Jo Ann
> Schiefelbein at wrote on 12/4/03 10:40 AM:
>
> > In your opinion what is the best "middle of the road" bread machine on
> > the market today? Can the parts be bought separately it the original one
> > wears out?
> > Jo Ann
> >

> I love my Toastmaster.
>
> Kohl's department store has them for under $30 for Christmas.
>
> Simple to use, not terrifically big...nice recipes in the owners manual.
>
> Can't help with spare parts, haven't needed any yet.

Dee Randall

J'amuse!

I assume she means that she makes the pizza *dough* in the oster machine.

Mine, I put in the ingredients, set for "dough" and in 90 minutes, the dough
is ready for rolling out. There is a timer on this bread machine and one
can set it up before one goes to bed to be ready in the a.m.

I haven't made the cinnamon bun recipe this way with the dough.
<Can you send along a favorite recipe if you have it handy?>
Dee