Mike Wilde

Default Bread Machine?

Thu, 04 Dec 2003 15:40:38 GMT, "Jo Ann Schiefelbein"
> wrote:

> In your opinion what is the best "middle of the road" bread machine on
>the market today? Can the parts be bought separately it the original one
>wears out?
>Jo Ann

Don't worry too much about the best one - think of a bread machine
like a VCR - it has a drive belt, and a little built in computer
microprocessor that runs the thing.

Buy a middle of price range unit from a name brand manufacturer,
preferably when they are on sale.

Name brand means you should be able to find a repair shop that will
have a part to sell you when the belt breaks (not unusual a few years
of every other day service, in our experience).

Buy one that makes a square shaped loaf - round loaves are hell to
slice to make sandwiches with.

If the microprocessor starts to act up - throw the thing out - any
attempted repair will cost you more than the next machine you buy. My
first machine, after 6 years of every other day service packed it in
in this manner last fall

If there is a spring clean out garbage week in your area, that allows
people to trash pick before the remains are collected, then go looking
for 'spare' bread machines to keep on hand in case machine #1 dies. I
did this last year, and found 3- all had just had the drive belt pop
off from the motor pulley. Likely people had tried to make a too dry
or all whole wheat loaf; bacause that is what has happened to me in
the past in these cases.

I just took the bottoms off the machines, where the belt is always
located, put the belts back, and put them back together. All worked
fine after that. One is now in regular service, one sits in the
garage high up on a shelf waiting for the day #1 dies, and the third
got sold off at a garage sale for $20.