kalanamak

Default brown veggie in a sushi roll??

This was a veggie roll, and besides the cuck and avocado and radish
sprouts, each peice had a bit of reddish brown, this, veined, salty and
slightly sweet veggie in it. They didn't know enough English to tell me
what it was...seemed pickled, very lightly, and didn't seem daikonish in
taste. Any ideas?
TIA
blacksalt
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"kalanamak" > wrote in message
> This was a veggie roll, and besides the cuck and avocado and radish
> sprouts, each peice had a bit of reddish brown, this, veined, salty and
> slightly sweet veggie in it. They didn't know enough English to tell me
> what it was...seemed pickled, very lightly, and didn't seem daikonish in
> taste. Any ideas?
> TIA
> blacksalt

The only thing I can think of is gobo (burdock) but I don't remember it
being veined or reddish brown. I hated gobo, though, and after being forced
(not really forced, but obligated) to eat a chicken gobo sandwich, I stayed
away from it like the plague!

rona

Steve

Kampyo (Pickled gourd)
http://eat.epicurious.com/dictionary...sf?DEF_ID=2354

kalanamak wrote:

> This was a veggie roll, and besides the cuck and avocado and radish
> sprouts, each peice had a bit of reddish brown, this, veined, salty and
> slightly sweet veggie in it. They didn't know enough English to tell me
> what it was...seemed pickled, very lightly, and didn't seem daikonish in
> taste. Any ideas?
> TIA
> blacksalt

kalanamak

Steve wrote:

> Kampyo (Pickled gourd)
> http://eat.epicurious.com/dictionary...sf?DEF_ID=2354

I would say this is it. It was tastey, and baby gobbled it and the
avocado out of each of our rolls.
blacksalt
B.Server

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 18:37:16 -0800, kalanamak >
wrote:

>This was a veggie roll, and besides the cuck and avocado and radish
>sprouts, each peice had a bit of reddish brown, this, veined, salty and
>slightly sweet veggie in it. They didn't know enough English to tell me
>what it was...seemed pickled, very lightly, and didn't seem daikonish in
>taste. Any ideas?
>TIA
>blacksalt

Steve is probably right. Other possibilities include either gobo
(burdock root) or dried shiitakes simmered in a soy/sugar mixture.
The latter is particularly savory.

Lawrence

kalanamak wrote:

> Steve wrote:
> >
> > Kampyo (Pickled gourd)
> > http://eat.epicurious.com/dictionary...sf?DEF_ID=2354
> >

> I would say this is it. It was tastey, and baby gobbled it

Mine prefers rocks and most insects....

> and the
> avocado out of each of our rolls.
> blacksalt

Tippi

Steve > wrote
> Kampyo (Pickled gourd)
> http://eat.epicurious.com/dictionary...sf?DEF_ID=2354

Kampyo means "dried gourd", it is used in sushi, but usually just by
being reconstitued in broth. If you follow the link the text says
nothing about pickling. However it is slighty sweet and sour, even if
no actual pickling took place.

Or it could be a kind of Japanese pickle, suno mono
http://eat.epicurious.com/dictionary...?TERM=sunomono

Rock N Roll Sushi! Tomatoes Sushi 4 04-05-2012 04:41 AM
Easy California Roll Sushi Madi Recipes (moderated) 0 21-07-2007 05:02 AM
Lamb Roll with Brown Sauce Samantha Calvert Recipes (moderated) 0 15-09-2006 04:05 AM
Brown Rice "sushi" (wrap) suggestions? Her Subj. Vegetarian cooking 7 03-02-2005 12:24 PM
Brown Rice "sushi" (wrap) suggestions? Her Subj. Vegetarian cooking 0 30-12-2004 05:55 PM