Her Subj.

Default Brown Rice "sushi" (wrap) suggestions?

Greetings.

I am planning to make this in place of some meat-based hors d'oeuvres
for my New Year's food sampling party:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...s/views/109641

Are there any suggestions in terms of preparing the brown rice? I saw
someone at Urth Cafe in Beverly Hills dining on a brown rice sushi/wrap
(wrap in slash for sushi purists who cringe at the thought of altering
a justly revered tradition!) and became inspired to make my own.

Does anyone have any other recipes like this they'd like to share?
Also, any other suggestions in terms of what "stuffings" to use? The
veggie inclusions in this recipe seem kind of bland.
Thanks in advance,

HS.
Chef R. W. Miller

VEGETARIAN SUSHI

STUFF TO BUY:

Sticky Rice (Sticky rice works best, but you CAN use brown rice)
Bamboo sushi mat
Plastic wrap...like Saran wrap
Roasted Seaweed (comes 4 to 8 sheets in a package...HFS's have it, but
it's much less expensive at an Oriental Market)
Rice Vinegar
Toasted Sesame seed
Fat Free Mayonnaise
Dijon Mustard (I make a mixture of 2/3 Mayo and 1/3 mustard)
Veggies can include: Avocado, cucumber, green beans, radishes,onion,
yellow squash, zucchini, black or green olives, etc.
If you like HOT stuff, try Wasabi

HOW TO MAKE SUSHI RICE, USING WHITE RICE)
I use brown rice. Just add little extra water and cook it a little longer.
(Two cups
of water to one cup of brown rice, cook for 45 to 55 minutes and let stand
for 15 minutes before building Sushi.)

2 Cups White Sushi rice (called sticky rice)
2 Cups Water
3 1/2 Tbsps. Vinegar
1 Tbsps. Sugar
1 tsp. salt

Wash rice and Make rice in Rice Cooker, OR

1. Wash rice in a big bowl of water. Rub grains gently; wet grains break
easily.
2. Drain water. Repeat this step 3 or more times until water is almost
clear.
3. Let rice sit for at least 30 minutes in summer and 1 hour in winter.
This allows ample time for rice to absorb the
water.
4. In cooking pot, mix rice and correct amount of water. Cover with lid.
5. Cook rice over medium heat until water boils. Do not bring it to boiling
point quickly.
6. When it begins to boil, turn heat to high and cook for 1 minute. NEVER
lift lid while cooking. Since the lid might bounce from the
pressure of the steam, it is better to place a weight, or some dishes on the
lid.
7. Turn heat to low and cook for 4 or 5 minutes.
8. Reduce heat to the lowest setting for 10 minutes. Every grain of rice
absorbs water and becomes plump.
9. Turn off the heat and let rice stand, covered with lid for 10 minutes.
During this time the grains are allowed to "settle," and the cooking
process is completed by the heat retained in the rice and walls of the pot.
Mix Vinegar, salt, and sugar in cup and heat until sugar and
saltis dissolved. (Use Microwave) Put rice in a large glass, wooden, or
plastic bowl...(Not metal) Spread rice evenly over the bottom. Sprinkle
vinegar mixture generously over the rice....You may not need all of
it.

BUILDING THE SUSHI:

Use any combination of 3 or 4 veggies, cut into thin strips.

1. Spread Plastic wrap on bamboo Sushi mat.
2. Lay Roasted Seaweed sheet on plastic wrap.
3. Spread Sushi rice on Seaweed (About 1 cup, flatten to 1/4 in. with back
of spoon.
4. Lay a strip of the veggies along one end.
5. Spread on a teaspoon of the mayo mustard mixture.
6. Begin rolling by lifting mat and pressing ingredients with fingers. Roll
up carefully, press end. Remove mat and unwrap the plastic.
7. Repeat using all ingredients to make 4 rolls. Cut each roll crosswise
into 6 to 8 equal slices.
8. Serve with Wasabi, Soy Sauce, Braggs Amino, or ANY kind of mustard.
This makes a SUPER plate of appetizers. OR, a complete meal for two,
along with a salad.

Vegetable-Filled Rolled Sushi

MAKES 24 ROLLS DAIRY-FREE You can prepare these rolls up to one day ahead.
Do not cut the completed rolls; wrap them in plastic and cut just before
serving. For easy assembly you'll need a bamboo rolling mat available at
specialty cookware shops and Asian markets.

4 to 5 Tbs. rice vinegar
1 to 2 Tbs. superfine sugar
3 cups cooked short-grain brown rice
2 green onions (white part only), minced
2 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds
4 sheets nori (see glossary)

Assorted fillings:
mashed yams sprinkled with soy sauce; cooked spinach with toasted sesame
seeds; thinly sliced cucumber, bell pepper and/or carrot soaked in balsamic
vinegar; avocado; minced fresh cilantro; thinly sliced pickled radish;
watercress or radish sprouts; umeboshi plum paste

In large glass bowl, mix vinegar and sugar. Add rice in fourths, stirring
well after each addition. Stir in green onions and sesame seeds.

Hold a sheet of nori with tongs and toast by waving it above an open flame,
or place it in a frying pan over high heat until crisp and fragrant. Place
nori, shiny side down, on a sushi mat or dish towel. With fingertips, spread
approximately 3/4 cup rice over nori to make a thin layer, leaving 1/2 inch
around edges uncovered. Make a lengthwise groove in center of rice; place
filling in groove.

Lift edge of mat or towel; roll nori away from you, tucking firmly as you go
and taking care not to catch mat or towel in roll. When rolled, slightly
moisten edge of nori; press to seal.

Place roll, seam side down, on a firm surface and cut into 6 pieces with a
sharp, moistened knife. Serve with Sesame-Miso Sauce.

Sesame-Miso Sauce
MAKES 3/4 CUP DAIRY-FREE 30

Our version of sushi dipping sauce is on the mild side. For an extra kick,
add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon powdered wasabi (green-colored Japanese horseradish)
to the sauce.
1/2 cup rice vinegar (see glossary)
1/4 cup vegetable broth
2 Tbs. miso
2 Tbs. sugar
Sliced green onions for garnish

In small bowl, mix all ingredients except green onion. Cover and chill until
ready to use. Garnish with green onions just before serving.

Enjoy
Chef R. W. Miller
Marriott Resorts & Hotels

"Her Subj." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Greetings.
>
> I am planning to make this in place of some meat-based hors d'oeuvres
> for my New Year's food sampling party:
>
> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...s/views/109641
>
> Are there any suggestions in terms of preparing the brown rice? I saw
> someone at Urth Cafe in Beverly Hills dining on a brown rice sushi/wrap
> (wrap in slash for sushi purists who cringe at the thought of altering
> a justly revered tradition!) and became inspired to make my own.
>
> Does anyone have any other recipes like this they'd like to share?
> Also, any other suggestions in terms of what "stuffings" to use?

Chef R. W. Miller

[...]

"Her Subj." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Greetings.
>
> I am planning to make this in place of some meat-based hors d'oeuvres
> for my New Year's food sampling party:
>
> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...s/views/109641
>
> Are there any suggestions in terms of preparing the brown rice? I saw
> someone at Urth Cafe in Beverly Hills dining on a brown rice sushi/wrap
> (wrap in slash for sushi purists who cringe at the thought of altering
> a justly revered tradition!) and became inspired to make my own.
>
> Does anyone have any other recipes like this they'd like to share?
> Also, any other suggestions in terms of what "stuffings" to use?

Chef R. W. Miller

[...]

oups.com...

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:55:22 GMT, "Her Subj." > wrote:

> Are there any suggestions in terms of preparing the brown rice? I saw
> someone at Urth Cafe in Beverly Hills dining on a brown rice sushi/wrap
> (wrap in slash for sushi purists who cringe at the thought of altering
> a justly revered tradition!) and became inspired to make my own.

Make sure to use a short-grain rice. If you can find brown glutinous rice, so
much the better, otherwise just use short-grain brown rice. To make it
stickier, you might wish to pre-soak it for a overnight or a couple of hours
prior to cooking.

Here are two recipes that look interesting.

http://home.icenter.net/~squiggy/crafts/Sushi.htm
http://www.cookingcache.com/vegetar/...iansushi.shtml

Here are the links to the recipes posted by R.W. Miller:

Vegetarian Sushi
http://www.midorimart.com/sushi2.html#vege
Vegetable-Filled Rolled Sushi
http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-...3/280064.shtml

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:55:22 GMT, "Her Subj." > wrote:

> Are there any suggestions in terms of preparing the brown rice? I saw
> someone at Urth Cafe in Beverly Hills dining on a brown rice sushi/wrap
> (wrap in slash for sushi purists who cringe at the thought of altering
> a justly revered tradition!) and became inspired to make my own.

Make sure to use a short-grain rice. If you can find brown glutinous rice, so
much the better, otherwise just use short-grain brown rice. To make it
stickier, you might wish to pre-soak it for a overnight or a couple of hours
prior to cooking.

Here are two recipes that look interesting.

http://home.icenter.net/~squiggy/crafts/Sushi.htm
http://www.cookingcache.com/vegetar/...iansushi.shtml

Here are the links to the recipes posted by R.W. Miller:

Vegetarian Sushi
http://www.midorimart.com/sushi2.html#vege
Vegetable-Filled Rolled Sushi
http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-...3/280064.shtml
Jenn

Hehe, I just had to laugh at the person who wrote the review for that recipe
on that website. He/she clearly stated that he/she steamed the rice instead
of boiling it... and is then giving the recipe a low rating because his/her
rice wouldn't hold together. LOL! If you do it, make sure you BOIL the rice,
don't try to steam it! Try not to stir or "fluff" it either, leave it as
clumpy as you can when you finish cooking it. My dad makes excellent sushi
(which I have watched him prepare), but I, personally, have not tried it
yet. Sticky, clumpy, gooey rice is the key though. The kind you would
normally be ashamed to serve as a side dish! LOL, it might stick to the
ceiling like pasta it you flung a clump of it to the ceiling. I think fluffy
light rice was an American invention, Asians eat rice with chop sticks, so
it HAS to be in clumps. We silly Americans with our forks and spoons are the
ones that decided that steaming rice made it turn out "better".

--

Jenn

http://ucat.us

Sure, it hurts, but I get a lot in return for my efforts, it makes me feel
good inside, and that's the best feeling in the world. I have no regrets.
Life is a roller coaster of emotion, you might as well be in the front seat
where the view is good, and the wind is in your face.