lobscouse

Default fresh wide rice noodles

I used to try to get the oil off of the noodles before I cooked them and
usually came up with the same mess you discribed. I find just taking from
the package and cooking them works for me.

"Tippi" > wrote in message
m...
> Judy Cosler > wrote
> > Here's the question: HOW do you separate these without ending up with
> > little shareds of noodles. YES, they were oiled. YES, i was running
> > them under warm tap water.

> running them under tap water may be the problem, it makes them too
> soggy and they will break easily. Are you planning to stir fry them or
> put them in soup? in both cases they should separate once you agitate
> them in the wok or soup.

Judy Cosler

Here's the question: HOW do you separate these without ending up with
little shareds of noodles. YES, they were oiled. YES, i was running
them under warm tap water. TIA, Judy

((.)) '))
((((((((
))(/)((
Judy Cosler

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:31:37 -0400, Judy Cosler
> wrote:

>shareds

should have said "shards!'

((.)) '))
((((((((
))(/)((
Tippi

Judy Cosler > wrote
> Here's the question: HOW do you separate these without ending up with
> little shareds of noodles. YES, they were oiled. YES, i was running
> them under warm tap water.

running them under tap water may be the problem, it makes them too
soggy and they will break easily. Are you planning to stir fry them or
put them in soup? in both cases they should separate once you agitate
them in the wok or soup.
Peter Dy

"lobscouse" > wrote in message
> I used to try to get the oil off of the noodles before I cooked them and
> usually came up with the same mess you discribed. I find just taking

from
> the package and cooking them works for me.

I agree -- no rinsing. I do seperate them by hand though and pile them up
in a large bowl before I cook them. It's a little tedious, but not that
bad.

Peter

Judy Cosler

well last night i made kwayteow with the 2nd half of the noodles. I
ran boiling water over them in a large bowl & gently stirred them with
long chopstix (per the suggestion in one recipe). worked better.
they break badly when i try to just separate them.

On 21 Oct 2003 11:32:49 -0700, (Tippi) wrote:

>Judy Cosler > wrote
>> Here's the question: HOW do you separate these without ending up with
>> little shareds of noodles. YES, they were oiled. YES, i was running
>> them under warm tap water.

>running them under tap water may be the problem, it makes them too
>soggy and they will break easily. Are you planning to stir fry them or
>put them in soup? in both cases they should separate once you agitate
>them in the wok or soup.

((.)) '))
((((((((
))(/)((
Peter Dy

"Judy Cosler" > wrote in message
> well last night i made kwayteow with the 2nd half of the noodles. I
> ran boiling water over them in a large bowl & gently stirred them with
> long chopstix (per the suggestion in one recipe). worked better.
> they break badly when i try to just separate them.

Well, I'll repeat what's been said here that I don't see a need to treat
them with water in any form before cooking. I also don't get your last
sentence: Before you treat them with water, they break badly when you try to
separate them by hand? Are you refrigerating them?

Peter

DC.

You only need to soak packet dry rice noodles in warm/hot water to
rehyrdrate them & draining them before cooking. The fresh version (comes
oiled in plastic bag) you just heat your wok to as hot as possible & fry to
get the best results. If your wok is not hot enough, you spend more time
cooking & stirring it which will result in softer & broken bits. Stir frying
is always done on very high heat & tossing, not much stirring so the bite
size bits of food gets seared & cooked quickly. If you soaked them in water
& have an average gas stove & not a wok burner... i'm afraid it'll be soggy
& in pieces.

Also make sure the rice noodles/ho-fun/kwayteow that you have is indeed the
right ones for frying. There's another fresh version that is known as
chee-cheong-fun that is meant for steaming & eaten as a breakfast dish.
People often get them mixed up in the Chinese supermarkets.

Refrigerating them will make them stiff/tougher and you'll need to crank up
your wok burner to sear/cook them. Most of the places i've eaten in have
them fresh sitting in the kitchen at room temp. That way they cook faster,
but if you've not got a wok burner of substantial heat, it's almost
impossible to reproduce the ones you've eaten in restaurants.

DC.