ukwill

Default Fresh or dry noodles..?

Does anybody know aside from a small increase in cost why one would use dry
noodles instead of fresh, if they were available?

Steve Wertz

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 08:37:32 -0400, "ukwill"
> wrote:

>Does anybody know aside from a small increase in cost why one would use dry
>noodles instead of fresh, if they were available?

Dry noodles last longer in the pantry (always available). Some
would argue that they're easier to cook, especially the rice
noodles. It's a matter of experience - I often have trouble
switching between the two and remembering the exact technique for
each of the varieties.

The price of fresh noodles is actually 4-5X the cost of fresh when
you consider you're paying for the water in the fresh noodles, as
opposed to rehydrating them yourself. 1 pound of dry noodles
makes ~5lbs of rehydrated noodles.

I buy both when I go to a asian market - but only enough fresh
noodles that I can use in a few days.

-sw
Ken Blake

In
lkaboutcooking.com,
ukwill > typed:

> Does anybody know aside from a small increase in cost why one

would
> use dry noodles instead of fresh, if they were available?

They taste different, or at least have a different mouth feel.
For example, when it comes to Italian pasta, I generally prefer
dried pasta to fresh. You can cook dried pasta and make it al
dente, but you can never really do the same with fresh pasta.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Steve Wertz

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 13:13:00 -0700, "Ken Blake"
> wrote:

>In
alkaboutcooking.com,
>ukwill > typed:
>
>> Does anybody know aside from a small increase in cost why one

>would
>> use dry noodles instead of fresh, if they were available?

>They taste different, or at least have a different mouth feel.

Another good point. I missed the most obvious. I love the
mouthfeel of fresh rice noodles, and dry don't compare but are
still acceptable.

-sw
James Silverton

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 13:13:00 -0700, "Ken Blake"
> > wrote:
>
> >In

alkaboutcooking.com,
> >ukwill > typed:
> >
> >> Does anybody know aside from a small increase in cost why one

> >would
> >> use dry noodles instead of fresh, if they were available?

> >They taste different, or at least have a different mouth feel.

> Another good point. I missed the most obvious. I love the
> mouthfeel of fresh rice noodles, and dry don't compare but are
> still acceptable.

In years gone by we used to go to a Pho restaurant where a chef would
come out of the kitchen and make noodles by hand. This was a
spectacular performance that got well deserved applause and the soup
was the best that I remember. It may be simple nostalgia of course
(g).

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Aria

I've heard that fresh pasta is more caloric than the dried. Haven't actually
checked it out since (even though I should), I don't watch calories these
days....
Aria

"James Silverton" > wrote in message

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 13:13:00 -0700, "Ken Blake"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >In

> alkaboutcooking.com,
> > >ukwill > typed:

> > >would
> > >

> > >They taste different, or at least have a different mouth feel.

> > Another good point. I missed the most obvious. I love the
> > mouthfeel of fresh rice noodles, and dry don't compare but are
> > still acceptable.

> In years gone by we used to go to a Pho restaurant where a chef would
> come out of the kitchen and make noodles by hand. This was a
> spectacular performance that got well deserved applause and the soup
> was the best that I remember. It may be simple nostalgia of course
> (g).
>

> --
> James V. Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland, USA

Warren C. Liebold

"ukwill" > wrote in message
lkaboutcooking.com...
> Does anybody know aside from a small increase in cost why one would use

dry
> noodles instead of fresh, if they were available?

For me, the only reasons to use dry noodles instead of fresh are that I can
buy dry noodles anywhere while I have to plan to go someplace where I can
buy fresh noddles.

If I had one or more groceries close by that carried fresh noodles I would
never use dry. Fresh noodles cost more but they taste a bit better, have a
better mouth feel (noted by another poster) and cook very quickly.