Collard Greens (UK Question)

Old 24-11-2003, 05:01 PM
usual suspect
Usenet poster

Default Collard Greens (UK Question)

herbwormwood wrote:
Can anyone tell me what exactly are collard greens? I live in the UK
(Northeast) and I have never seen them. I assume they are called a
different name here. Are they the same as what we call spring cabbage?

Collard greens are a hardy member of the cabbage family. I've heard them
called "tree cabbage," but Tesco had them listed as collard greens last
time I was in the UK (I was *very* surprised to find them). The leaves
are dark green and very smooth. The stalks are very fibrous and tough.
The pic below is what they look like separated.

http://www.foodbooks.com/graphics/collards.jpg

Old 24-11-2003, 05:51 PM
Rubystars
Usenet poster

"herbwormwood" wrote in message
. DE...
Hi,

--
for an alternative look at current events, go to
http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/

Collard greens are a green leafy vegetable, like spinach. They're not
anything like what an American like me would call "Cabbage."

-Rubystars

Chef's knife question scyld Preserving 5 15-03-2004 04:00 PM
Fried Collard Greens luckytrim Recipes (moderated) 0 07-12-2003 12:25 AM
Fried Collard Greens a La Aunt Mary Lee and Nita [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 05-12-2003 06:15 PM
Granny's Turnip Greens luckytrim Recipes (moderated) 0 27-10-2003 04:57 AM
Turnip Greens and Turnip Roots From the Deep South a la Nita [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 20-10-2003 03:08 AM