FoodBanter.com

-   Vegan (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/)
-   -   Collard Greens (UK Question) (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/18411-re-collard-greens-uk.html)

usual suspect 24-11-2003 06:01 PM

Collard Greens (UK Question)

herbwormwood wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what exactly are collard greens? I live in the UK
> (Northeast) and I have never seen them. I assume they are called a
> different name here. Are they the same as what we call spring cabbage?

Collard greens are a hardy member of the cabbage family. I've heard them
called "tree cabbage," but Tesco had them listed as collard greens last
time I was in the UK (I was *very* surprised to find them). The leaves
are dark green and very smooth. The stalks are very fibrous and tough.
The pic below is what they look like separated.

http://www.foodbooks.com/graphics/collards.jpg

Rubystars 24-11-2003 06:51 PM

Collard Greens (UK Question)

"herbwormwood" > wrote in message
. DE...
> Hi,
> Can anyone tell me what exactly are collard greens? I live in the UK
> (Northeast) and I have never seen them. I assume they are called a
> different name here. Are they the same as what we call spring cabbage?
>
> --
> for an alternative look at current events, go to
> http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/

Collard greens are a green leafy vegetable, like spinach. They're not
anything like what an American like me would call "Cabbage."

-Rubystars