Carol

Default Troubleshooting Request for Fruit Liqueur Disaster

I've made the usual liqueur mixtures but this summer in a preserving
frenzy decided to try this recipe from Patricia Wells "At Home in
Provence." The abbreviated version follows:

"Chantal's Bachelor's Confiture"

2 pounds mixed fresh fruits with pits (preferably stone fruits)
About 1 quart Sugar Syrup (2 pounds sugar to 1 quart water)
About 1 quart vodka

Layer fruit in a large wide-mouth jar. Halve or quarter as needed.
Do not peel fruits and do not discard pits. Pour equal portions of
sugar syrup and alcohol over the fruit. Cover securely and weight so
the fruit is totally immersed. Set aside in a cool, dry place at
least 2 months. Additional fruit can be added as they come into
season. To serve as an after-dinner drink, ladle a few fruits into a
small bowl along with a little bit of liquid."

I layered peaches (did peel those - hate the fuzz), plums, grapes,
nectarines, some fresh figs. Added a vanilla bean for good measure.
I ended up with two jars which I placed in the pantry. They were
works of art, suitable for display. For three weeks all was
wonderful. Liquid turned a beautiful rose color and stayed clear as a
bell. But today when I checked one jar was cloudy. Jar #2 was still
clear but there was enough fermentation to leak and leave a small ring
of liquid at the base. When I opened Jar #1 and sniffed (not to
mention seeing a lively layer of mold) I said to myself, "Great,
Carol. You've just created sour mash." All I need is some copper
tubing and a boiler and I'm in business. (Reminds me of the time my
spouse as a boy ran across a still behind the cookshack of a logging
camp and absconded with 5 bottles of moonshine.)

I guess my first question is "Is this a viable recipe"? What I really
like about this concept is the use of fresh seasonal fruit which
remains in the syrup rather than being strained out. So how do I get
it to work? Is the water in the syrup a problem? Would it be better
to soak the fruit in just vodka for a while then add the simple syrup
rather than both simultaneously? Should I forget the pantry and
refrigerate? Should I cap loosely or tightly?

Is there anything missing from this recipe that I should do that Wells
isn't telling me? (Like sterilize the jars.) And lastly, any
suggestions about ways to weight the fruit in a wide-mouth jar? I
wadded up waxed paper and put it under the lid. I've done it with
fruit in syrup for the freezer but I may have really screwed up
(polite euphemism for earthier phrase)in this case.

Any advice will be much appreciated. And if I should post this to a
brewing group instead, just let me know.

Carol
Judith Umbria

"Carol" > wrote in message
om...
> I've made the usual liqueur mixtures but this summer in a preserving
> frenzy decided to try this recipe from Patricia Wells "At Home in
> Provence." The abbreviated version follows:
>
> "Chantal's Bachelor's Confiture"
>
> 2 pounds mixed fresh fruits with pits (preferably stone fruits)
> About 1 quart Sugar Syrup (2 pounds sugar to 1 quart water)
> About 1 quart vodka
>
> Layer fruit in a large wide-mouth jar. Halve or quarter as needed.
> Do not peel fruits and do not discard pits. Pour equal portions of
> sugar syrup and alcohol over the fruit.
> I guess my first question is "Is this a viable recipe"?
> Carol

This sounds more like Rumtopf to me. I make fruit liqueurs. I wash the
whole fruits, put them in screwtop jars, cover with our version of Everclear
(vodka often result in a bitter product for some reason.) For 6 weeks I
turn and jiggle the jars everyday. After 6 weeks, I strain off the alcohol
and THEN add simple syrup to taste, and since I do not like them very sweet,
I add enough mineral water to bring the potion down to a reasonable level.
I aim for about 20%, because my guests have to drive home after a meal with
wine followed by these liquers. YMMV. This process takes 2 people and
sometimes 2 days, because it is 95% alcohol to start and you have to taste
it, add, keep records. Your tongue can go to sleep and to finish a few
batches can put you under the table in no time. We spell each other to
allow recuperation of the tastebuds.
I bottle and cork it and wait another +- 2 months before serving. It is as
sharp as a knife when just done. A cloudy layer forms in the bottom, but it
is just pectin sediment and not harmful.
I have made syrups with the fruit left and they were nice. I don't see why
you couldn't just sugar the fruit and freeze it. Frankly, most of the
flavor is in the alcohol. If you got yeast action, it was the fault of the
sugar, and it may be OK, but it isn't my aim to make bubbling fruit mash.

Judith Umbria

"Carol" > wrote in message
om...
> I've made the usual liqueur mixtures but this summer in a preserving
> frenzy decided to try this recipe from Patricia Wells "At Home in
> Provence." The abbreviated version follows:
>
> "Chantal's Bachelor's Confiture"
>
> 2 pounds mixed fresh fruits with pits (preferably stone fruits)
> About 1 quart Sugar Syrup (2 pounds sugar to 1 quart water)
> About 1 quart vodka
>
> Layer fruit in a large wide-mouth jar. Halve or quarter as needed.
> Do not peel fruits and do not discard pits. Pour equal portions of
> sugar syrup and alcohol over the fruit.
> I guess my first question is "Is this a viable recipe"?
> Carol

This sounds more like Rumtopf to me. I make fruit liqueurs. I wash the
whole fruits, put them in screwtop jars, cover with our version of Everclear
(vodka often result in a bitter product for some reason.) For 6 weeks I
turn and jiggle the jars everyday. After 6 weeks, I strain off the alcohol
and THEN add simple syrup to taste, and since I do not like them very sweet,
I add enough mineral water to bring the potion down to a reasonable level.
I aim for about 20%, because my guests have to drive home after a meal with
wine followed by these liquers. YMMV. This process takes 2 people and
sometimes 2 days, because it is 95% alcohol to start and you have to taste
it, add, keep records. Your tongue can go to sleep and to finish a few
batches can put you under the table in no time. We spell each other to
allow recuperation of the tastebuds.
I bottle and cork it and wait another +- 2 months before serving. It is as
sharp as a knife when just done. A cloudy layer forms in the bottom, but it
is just pectin sediment and not harmful.
I have made syrups with the fruit left and they were nice. I don't see why
you couldn't just sugar the fruit and freeze it. Frankly, most of the
flavor is in the alcohol. If you got yeast action, it was the fault of the
sugar, and it may be OK, but it isn't my aim to make bubbling fruit mash.

Carol

"Judith Umbria" > wrote in message >...

> This sounds more like Rumtopf to me.

Judith, You provided a very helpful response. It was exactly what I
needed to know, and I pasted it into Word to save for the next
attempt. I was doing some research after I posted and thought it
sounded a lot like Rumtopf myself. Wells acknowledged she got the
recipe from someone else; it looks as if the directions were
inaccurate or incomplete. I wish cookbook authors would actually
prepare everything they put into their books. Doing a search in the
archives for this group I found some helpful instructions about
tastings and creating batches which can then be blended to appropriate
strength and sweetness; I also liked your comment that I can add water
to control sweetness. I'm aiming for something smooth but not sickly.
I feel ready for another attempt. Thanks, Carol
Carol

"Judith Umbria" > wrote in message >...

> This sounds more like Rumtopf to me.

Judith, You provided a very helpful response. It was exactly what I
needed to know, and I pasted it into Word to save for the next
attempt. I was doing some research after I posted and thought it
sounded a lot like Rumtopf myself. Wells acknowledged she got the
recipe from someone else; it looks as if the directions were
inaccurate or incomplete. I wish cookbook authors would actually
prepare everything they put into their books. Doing a search in the
archives for this group I found some helpful instructions about
tastings and creating batches which can then be blended to appropriate
strength and sweetness; I also liked your comment that I can add water
to control sweetness. I'm aiming for something smooth but not sickly.
I feel ready for another attempt. Thanks, Carol

zxcvbob

Carol wrote:

> "Judith Umbria" > wrote in message >...
>

>>This sounds more like Rumtopf to me.

> Judith, You provided a very helpful response. It was exactly what I
> needed to know, and I pasted it into Word to save for the next
> attempt. I was doing some research after I posted and thought it
> sounded a lot like Rumtopf myself. Wells acknowledged she got the
> recipe from someone else; it looks as if the directions were
> inaccurate or incomplete. I wish cookbook authors would actually
> prepare everything they put into their books. Doing a search in the
> archives for this group I found some helpful instructions about
> tastings and creating batches which can then be blended to appropriate
> strength and sweetness; I also liked your comment that I can add water
> to control sweetness. I'm aiming for something smooth but not sickly.
> I feel ready for another attempt. Thanks, Carol

I'm making some blueberry liqueur right now, and I wish I had kept
better notes because I don't really remember the proportions. IIRC I
put 2 cups of blueberries and 3 cups of gin in a quart jar (yes, it all
fit) and put on a plastic lid, and let it sit at room temperature for a
couple of days. Then I mashed the blueberries a little and added 1/2
cup of water. A week later, I mashed all the berries through a sieve
with the back of a spoon and dumped it all back in the jar. The next
day, I strained it through a piece of muslin (squeezing it pretty good)
and discarded the skins and seeds). I added 1/2 cup of sugar (I
remember the original recipe called for 1 cup of sugar) and shook it up,
and now it's sitting until it clears.

If I made it again, I would simplify the procedure quite a bit: grind
up the blueberries in the gin with a blender right from the start, let
it steep for a week or two, strain, and add sugar without any water.

I have no idea how long it will take to clear.

There's a Canadian whiskey liqueur called "Yukon Jack" that is 100 proof
and not very expensive. I think it would be a good base for making some
kind of fruit liqueur, but I'm not sure what fruit would go best with
whiskey. (apricots? crabapples?)

Best regards,
Bob
zxcvbob

Carol wrote:

> "Judith Umbria" > wrote in message >...
>

>>This sounds more like Rumtopf to me.

> Judith, You provided a very helpful response. It was exactly what I
> needed to know, and I pasted it into Word to save for the next
> attempt. I was doing some research after I posted and thought it
> sounded a lot like Rumtopf myself. Wells acknowledged she got the
> recipe from someone else; it looks as if the directions were
> inaccurate or incomplete. I wish cookbook authors would actually
> prepare everything they put into their books. Doing a search in the
> archives for this group I found some helpful instructions about
> tastings and creating batches which can then be blended to appropriate
> strength and sweetness; I also liked your comment that I can add water
> to control sweetness. I'm aiming for something smooth but not sickly.
> I feel ready for another attempt. Thanks, Carol

I'm making some blueberry liqueur right now, and I wish I had kept
better notes because I don't really remember the proportions. IIRC I
put 2 cups of blueberries and 3 cups of gin in a quart jar (yes, it all
fit) and put on a plastic lid, and let it sit at room temperature for a
couple of days. Then I mashed the blueberries a little and added 1/2
cup of water. A week later, I mashed all the berries through a sieve
with the back of a spoon and dumped it all back in the jar. The next
day, I strained it through a piece of muslin (squeezing it pretty good)
and discarded the skins and seeds). I added 1/2 cup of sugar (I
remember the original recipe called for 1 cup of sugar) and shook it up,
and now it's sitting until it clears.

If I made it again, I would simplify the procedure quite a bit: grind
up the blueberries in the gin with a blender right from the start, let
it steep for a week or two, strain, and add sugar without any water.

I have no idea how long it will take to clear.

There's a Canadian whiskey liqueur called "Yukon Jack" that is 100 proof
and not very expensive. I think it would be a good base for making some
kind of fruit liqueur, but I'm not sure what fruit would go best with
whiskey. (apricots? crabapples?)

Best regards,
Bob
Carol

zxcvbob > wrote in message >...

> I'm making some blueberry liqueur right now, and I wish I had kept
> better notes . . .

I hear you. I make a lot of preserves, relishes, etc. and have finally
figured out the importance of writing notes then heading straight to
MasterCook and getting it all down ASAP. Last year I made an Indian
Relish (old Farm Journal recipe) which calls for 3 cups of brown
sugar. This summer I couldn't remember whether I went 2/3 light and
1/3 dark or half-and-half. Since spouse had just declared this is his
all-time favorite relish, I was really irked that I hadn't noted what
I had done. This year I have religiously made notes on everything . .
.. except that darned Confiture recipe. Lesson learned.

> If I made it again, I would simplify the procedure quite a bit: grind
> up the blueberries in the gin with a blender right from the start, let
> it steep for a week or two, strain, and add sugar without any water.

The blueberry liqueur sounds really appealing. I'm thinking I'll try
it with some of last year's frozen ones. They should release a lot of
juice.

Thanks for the idea, Bob.
Carol
zxcvbob

Carol wrote:

> zxcvbob > wrote in message >...
>

>>I'm making some blueberry liqueur right now, and I wish I had kept
>>better notes . . .

> I hear you. I make a lot of preserves, relishes, etc. and have finally
> figured out the importance of writing notes then heading straight to
> MasterCook and getting it all down ASAP. Last year I made an Indian
> Relish (old Farm Journal recipe) which calls for 3 cups of brown
> sugar. This summer I couldn't remember whether I went 2/3 light and
> 1/3 dark or half-and-half. Since spouse had just declared this is his
> all-time favorite relish, I was really irked that I hadn't noted what
> I had done. This year I have religiously made notes on everything . .
> . except that darned Confiture recipe. Lesson learned.
>

>>If I made it again, I would simplify the procedure quite a bit: grind
>>up the blueberries in the gin with a blender right from the start, let
>>it steep for a week or two, strain, and add sugar without any water.
>>

> The blueberry liqueur sounds really appealing. I'm thinking I'll try
> it with some of last year's frozen ones. They should release a lot of
> juice.
>
> Thanks for the idea, Bob.
> Carol

I just the original recipe scribbled on a scrap of paper and it looks
liked the cat peed on it:

PEACH LIQUEUR
2 pounds fresh peaches
3 cups 80 proof vodka
1 cup water
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon whole coriander
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup green peach leaves
2 cups granulated sugar

I cut the recipe in half just in case it was awful. I used blueberries
instead of peaches, gin instead of vodka, and I left out all the spices
and the peach leaves cuz the gin has spices already. I only put 1/2 cup
of sugar in and haven't decided yet if I'm gonna add the remaining 1/2
cup. (I guess I kind of changed everything, didn't I? :-)

[if I was making the peach liqueur, instead of peach leaves I would
crack all the peach pits with a hammer and add them to the mix]

Bob
zxcvbob

Carol wrote:

> zxcvbob > wrote in message >...
>

>>I'm making some blueberry liqueur right now, and I wish I had kept
>>better notes . . .

> I hear you. I make a lot of preserves, relishes, etc. and have finally
> figured out the importance of writing notes then heading straight to
> MasterCook and getting it all down ASAP. Last year I made an Indian
> Relish (old Farm Journal recipe) which calls for 3 cups of brown
> sugar. This summer I couldn't remember whether I went 2/3 light and
> 1/3 dark or half-and-half. Since spouse had just declared this is his
> all-time favorite relish, I was really irked that I hadn't noted what
> I had done. This year I have religiously made notes on everything . .
> . except that darned Confiture recipe. Lesson learned.
>

>>If I made it again, I would simplify the procedure quite a bit: grind
>>up the blueberries in the gin with a blender right from the start, let
>>it steep for a week or two, strain, and add sugar without any water.
>>

> The blueberry liqueur sounds really appealing. I'm thinking I'll try
> it with some of last year's frozen ones. They should release a lot of
> juice.
>
> Thanks for the idea, Bob.
> Carol

I just the original recipe scribbled on a scrap of paper and it looks
liked the cat peed on it:

PEACH LIQUEUR
2 pounds fresh peaches
3 cups 80 proof vodka
1 cup water
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon whole coriander
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup green peach leaves
2 cups granulated sugar

I cut the recipe in half just in case it was awful. I used blueberries
instead of peaches, gin instead of vodka, and I left out all the spices
and the peach leaves cuz the gin has spices already. I only put 1/2 cup
of sugar in and haven't decided yet if I'm gonna add the remaining 1/2
cup. (I guess I kind of changed everything, didn't I? :-)

[if I was making the peach liqueur, instead of peach leaves I would
crack all the peach pits with a hammer and add them to the mix]

Bob

Carol

zxcvbob > wrote in message >...
> > zxcvbob > wrote in message >...
> >
> >>I'm making some blueberry liqueur right now, and I wish I had kept
> >>better notes . . .

> I just the original recipe scribbled on a scrap of paper and it looks
> liked the cat peed on it:

I was just looking at my new (formerly pristine) BBB. There're
several water-shrunk (look like relief maps) syrup-spattered pages in
the center. I was trying to remember what happened. Then it came to
me. "Ah yes. Hot-pack plums."

By the way, I found another confiture recipe you might find
interesting. It's from Alain Ducasse and is essentially the same as
the one I originally posted (but without the problems, as it does not
add sugar syrup in the first stage). You can find it at
www.labellecuisine.com in the fruit recipes index "The Old Bachelor's
Fruit Preserves." Wish I'd seen it earlier.

Must go. 16 pints of creamed corn in the canner.

Carol