Problem with my apple pie

Old 21-05-2006, 04:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Problem with my apple pie

I have been making simple apple pie, and I can't seem to get it the way
my mother used to make it.

It always comes out to dry. My mother's apple pie used to have some
delicious liquid with it, and I can't figure out how to do it.

My problem is with the filling. I use:

Two or three fresh apples
Apple pie filling from a can
Sugar
Corn starch.

What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Mordechai Housman

Old 21-05-2006, 05:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mordechai wrote:

I have been making simple apple pie, and I can't seem to get it the way my
mother used to make it.

It always comes out to dry. My mother's apple pie used to have some
delicious liquid with it, and I can't figure out how to do it.

My problem is with the filling. I use:

Two or three fresh apples
Apple pie filling from a can
Sugar
Corn starch.

What might I be doing wrong?

I'm guessing that the apples are the problem. If the apples you buy are dry
and mealy, they won't have any juice to contribute to the filling.

It's gotten REALLY difficult to find good apples nowadays, but the best way
to tell if an apple is juicy is to pick it up: If it feels heavy for its
size, then it's probably juicy.

To compensate for dry apples, you might consider adding a bit of apple juice
to your filling.

Bob

Old 21-05-2006, 05:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mordechai Housman wrote:
I have been making simple apple pie, and I can't seem to get it the way
my mother used to make it.

It always comes out to dry. My mother's apple pie used to have some
delicious liquid with it, and I can't figure out how to do it.

My problem is with the filling. I use:

Two or three fresh apples
Apple pie filling from a can
Sugar
Corn starch.

What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Mordechai Housman

Why are you using canned apple filling? Skip the canned pie filling
and simply peel and slice about 5 or 6 apples. Use apples that are
crisp and not overly sweet. Stay away from Red Delicious apples, too
mushy and tasteless. Next, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 3/4 cup
sugar, and a teaspoon of cinnamon.(see note) Toss that with the apples
and dump it into an unbaked pie shell. The apples should come above
the rim of the pie shell. They'll cook down when the pie bakes. Dot
with 3 or 4 pats of butter and add either a top crust or streusel
topping. Bake at 375F for a streusel topped pie or 400F for a regular
crust pie until the crust is browned and the filling is bubbly.

note: You can always adjust the amount of sugar, cornstarch or spice
the next time if the pie doesn't come out exactly the way you want it.

Old 21-05-2006, 05:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mordechai Housman" wrote in message
I have been making simple apple pie, and I can't seem to get it the way
my mother used to make it.

It always comes out to dry. My mother's apple pie used to have some
delicious liquid with it, and I can't figure out how to do it.

My problem is with the filling. I use:

Two or three fresh apples
Apple pie filling from a can
Sugar
Corn starch.

What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Mordechai Housman

I am wondering why you are using fresh apples plus apple
pie filling from a can.

Old 21-05-2006, 06:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Mordechai Housman" wrote in message
I have been making simple apple pie, and I can't seem to get it the
way
my mother used to make it.

It always comes out to dry. My mother's apple pie used to have some
delicious liquid with it, and I can't figure out how to do it.

My problem is with the filling. I use:

Two or three fresh apples
Apple pie filling from a can
Sugar
Corn starch.

What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Mordechai Housman

I am wondering why you are using fresh apples plus apple
pie filling from a can.

Well, a guest at our home a while back backed an apple pie while I
watched and learned. She used that mix (by the way, I forgot to mention
the margarine that dab here and there on the apples), and her pie came
out delicious. So did mine the first few times I made it.

But that was a bunch of years ago, and I've forgotten how she made it so
delicious. Plus, I harken back to my own mother's apple pie when I was
young. Come to think of it, though my mother didn't use canned apple pie
filling, as far as I recall.

Old 21-05-2006, 06:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote in message
Mordechai wrote:

[...]

Well, this last time that I made it (Friday), the apples were somewhat
juicy (yellow apples, but small ones), but they were apparently not
juicy enough, at least based on the method you cite above.

I had wondered if adding apple juice would ruin it or help it. Thanks
for the suggestion. What about non-alcoholic cider? Will that work as
well? I the reason I ask is because some recipe books advise that the
apples be tart and not sweet. So I wonder if apple cider might be as
good as apple juice?

Old 21-05-2006, 06:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
oups.com...

Mordechai Housman wrote:
[...]

Well, I was following the directions given to me by a guest we had years
ago, who made a delicious apple pie.

Plus, you know, I kind of thought that the gel in the canned filling
would make for a juicy pie.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Old 21-05-2006, 06:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mordechai Housman wrote:

I have been making simple apple pie, and I can't seem to get it the way
my mother used to make it.

It always comes out to dry. My mother's apple pie used to have some
delicious liquid with it, and I can't figure out how to do it.

My problem is with the filling. I use:

Two or three fresh apples
Apple pie filling from a can
Sugar
Corn starch.

What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Mordechai Housman

Corn starch absorbs moisture. Cut back on it until your pie
comes out with the moisture level you're looking for.

--
Reg

Old 21-05-2006, 06:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mordechai Housman" wrote :
But that was a bunch of years ago, and I've forgotten how she made it so
delicious. Plus, I harken back to my own mother's apple pie when I was
young. Come to think of it, though my mother didn't use canned apple pie
filling, as far as I recall.

When I read your post, I recalled my own mother's method. She made her
own crust from scratch and it was amazing. As far as the filling went, as I
recall (and I cannot be sure as I was more interested in microscopes and
chemistry sets and tadpoles at the time!) she used fresh apples, sugar,
cinnamon, and dabs of real butter. She just layered sliced fresh apples,
a liberal sprinkling of sugar and cinnamon, and some butter slices in the
unbaked pie crust. Then she did the latticework crust on top. The
filling mixed together and made a lovely juicy filling. It was simple, and I
recall mimicking her filling by making a kind a tart using Bisquick as a
little
girl, with my older sister who actually did watch Mama cook.

Old 21-05-2006, 07:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

"Mordechai Housman" wrote :

[...]

When I make apple pie I mix sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves and
plain flour and coat the apple pieces in that. While you're rolling out
the pastry the liquid from the apples gets inot this. I dot the filling
with bits of butter before putting the crust on, and that means you end
up with the apples cooked in a lovely gooey sauce. Never fails.

Christine
Old 21-05-2006, 08:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 May 2006 16:44:51 +1000, Old Mother Ashby
wrote:

When I make apple pie I mix sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves and
plain flour and coat the apple pieces in that. While you're rolling out
the pastry the liquid from the apples gets inot this. I dot the filling
with bits of butter before putting the crust on, and that means you end
up with the apples cooked in a lovely gooey sauce. Never fails.

This sounds exactly how my mother taught me to fix apple pie. It was
never overly sweet either.

the other Christine
Old 21-05-2006, 10:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mordechai wrote:

I have been making simple apple pie, and I can't seem to get it the way

my
mother used to make it.

It always comes out to dry. My mother's apple pie used to have some
delicious liquid with it, and I can't figure out how to do it.

My problem is with the filling. I use:

Two or three fresh apples
Apple pie filling from a can
Sugar
Corn starch.

What might I be doing wrong?

I'm guessing that the apples are the problem. If the apples you buy are

dry
and mealy, they won't have any juice to contribute to the filling.

It's gotten REALLY difficult to find good apples nowadays.

Isn't that the truth! I quit buying apples because they're not as good as
they were when I was a kid! I remember being able to bite off a huge chunk
of a red delicious. Now, they're all grainy and mushy and leave kind of a
sour taste on your tongue. I'll bet Bob's correct in saying it's the
apples.

kili

Old 21-05-2006, 10:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke

"Mordechai Housman" schreef in bericht
I have been making simple apple pie, and I can't seem to get it the way my
mother used to make it.

It always comes out to dry. My mother's apple pie used to have some
delicious liquid with it, and I can't figure out how to do it.

My problem is with the filling. I use:

Two or three fresh apples
Apple pie filling from a can
Sugar
Corn starch.

What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Mordechai Housman

I'd experiment with using less corn starch. I never use it in my apple pie,
which is filled with fresh apples, sugar, cinnamon and sometims lemon zest
or raisins.

Old 21-05-2006, 12:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote on 20 May 2006 in rec.food.cooking

Mordechai Housman wrote:
I have been making simple apple pie, and I can't seem to get it the

way
my mother used to make it.

It always comes out to dry. My mother's apple pie used to have some
delicious liquid with it, and I can't figure out how to do it.

My problem is with the filling. I use:

Two or three fresh apples
Apple pie filling from a can
Sugar
Corn starch.

What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Mordechai Housman

For a "Mom Style" Apple Pie you gotta use granny smith apples. In
the 50's and 60's Granny's were the baking apple of choice.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Country Apple Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:30
Categories : Pies

pastry for double crust 9 inch pie
6 cups peeled sliced cooking apples
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter or margarine

Roll half of pastry to 1/8 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
Place in a 9 inch pie plate; set aside.

Combine apples and lemon juice in a large mixing bowl. Combine sugars,
flour, cinnamon and nutmeg, mixing well. Spoon over apple mix, tossing
gently. Spoon filling evenly into pastry shell, and dot with butter.

Roll remaining pastry to 1/8 inch thickness; transfer to top of pie. Trim
off excess pastry along edges. Fold edges under and flute. Cut slits in
top crust for steam to escape. Cover edges of pastry with strips of
aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning. Bake at 450F for 15
minutes. Reduce heat to 350F and bake an additional 35 minutes.

Makes one 9 inch pie

Source:
"The Southern Living Cookbook, 1987, 8487-0709-5"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1071 Calories; 23g Fat (19.1%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 221g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 62mg
Cholesterol; 279mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Fruit; 4 1/2
Fat; 13 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

--
-Alan
Old 21-05-2006, 01:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 1tRbg.947$FQ4.358@trndny06,
"Mordechai Housman" wrote:

I have been making simple apple pie, and I can't seem to get it the way
my mother used to make it.

It always comes out to dry. My mother's apple pie used to have some
delicious liquid with it, and I can't figure out how to do it.

My problem is with the filling. I use:

Two or three fresh apples
Apple pie filling from a can
Sugar
Corn starch.

What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Mordechai Housman

Is this your mom's recipe, Moerdechai? If so and you want to pretty
much stick with it, I would eliminate the cornstarch. And probably
most of the sugar (the canned apple pie *filling* is ready to pour into
a shell and bake - it has the sugar and thickener already). If you are
using *canned apples FOR pie filling*, well, that's a different bird and
I think you need a better recipe. No offense intended. Following is a
filling recipe; if you need a recipe for pie dough, I've got one of
those, too. "-)
Good luck.

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

The Best Apple Pie

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
2 1/2 # Granny Smith apples peeled, quartered,
cored, and cut into 3/8 slices (5-6
cups)
3/4 cup sugar plus 2 teaspoons
for sprinkling on dough top
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 Pinch salt
Pie Dough for a double crust 8- or 9-inch
pie
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter cut into small
pieces

Toss apples and next 4 ingredients in large bowl; let stand until apples
soften and shrink a bit, no longer than 10 to 15 minutes. (this step is
supposed to keep a gap from forming between the top crust and the
apples. Adjust oven rack to low position and heat oven to 400. (To
keep the bottom crust crisp, author recommends using a glass pan and
baking the pie near the bottom of the oven at a relatively hot
temperature; this heats the bottom of the pie at a slightly faster rate
than the rest, so it cooks through before the top burns. Roll larger
dough disk on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle, about
1/8 thick. Transfer dough to 9-inch Pyrex pie pan, leaving dough that
overhangs lip of pan in place. Turn apple mixture, including juices,
into shell; scatter butter pieces over apples.

Roll smaller dough disk on a lightly floured surface into a 10-inch
circle. Lay it over top of pie. Trim top and bottom dough edges to 1/4
inch beyond pan lip. Tuck this rim of dough underneath itself that that
folder edge is flush with pan lip. Flute dough in your own fashion, or
press with fork tines to seal. Cut 4 slits at right angles on dough top
to allow steam to escape; sprinkle with remaining sugar.

Set pie on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until light brown, about 30
minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking
until crust is a rich golden brown and apples can be easily pierced with
a knife, about 30 minutes longer. If pie browns before it bakes
through, cover top with foil and continue baking. Transfer pie to a
wire rack; cool for at least 1 hour before serving.

Pie is best when consumed within a few hours of baking, but can be
stored at room temperature, covered by an inverted bowl, for a day or
two.

Notes: Source: Page 8, Cooks Illustrated magazine, September/October
1994. Mercy! My pies were made with McIntosh/Wealthy/Sweet Sixteen
apples in varying degrees of combination. Oh, my!

--
-Barb
http://jamlady.eboard.com Updated 5/14/2006, Visit #17 to Mount

Baked Apple with Cinnamon Bourbon Caramel Sauce Duckie Recipes 0 04-06-2005 10:01 PM
Vegan Apple Pie Recipie ? Steve Vegan 4 30-11-2003 04:25 PM
Wet apple pie...need help shipwreck Baking 8 24-10-2003 03:16 PM
Sediment problem in Apple Wine kksbridge Winemaking 2 11-10-2003 09:23 PM
Cider vs Apple wine. Denis Marier Winemaking 2 06-10-2003 04:00 AM