Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] djs0302@aol.com is offline

Default Problem with my apple pie

Mordechai Housman wrote:
> I have been making simple apple pie, and I can't seem to get it the way
> my mother used to make it.
>
> It always comes out to dry. My mother's apple pie used to have some
> delicious liquid with it, and I can't figure out how to do it.
>
> My problem is with the filling. I use:
>
> Two or three fresh apples
> Apple pie filling from a can
> Sugar
> Corn starch.
>
> What might I be doing wrong?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Mordechai Housman

Why are you using canned apple filling? Skip the canned pie filling
and simply peel and slice about 5 or 6 apples. Use apples that are
crisp and not overly sweet. Stay away from Red Delicious apples, too
mushy and tasteless. Next, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 3/4 cup
sugar, and a teaspoon of cinnamon.(see note) Toss that with the apples
and dump it into an unbaked pie shell. The apples should come above
the rim of the pie shell. They'll cook down when the pie bakes. Dot
with 3 or 4 pats of butter and add either a top crust or streusel
topping. Bake at 375F for a streusel topped pie or 400F for a regular
crust pie until the crust is browned and the filling is bubbly.

note: You can always adjust the amount of sugar, cornstarch or spice
the next time if the pie doesn't come out exactly the way you want it.