Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mordechai Housman[_1_] Mordechai Housman[_1_] is offline

Default Problem with my apple pie

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> wrote on 20 May 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Mordechai Housman wrote:
>> > I have been making simple apple pie, and I can't seem to get it the

> way
>> > my mother used to make it.
>> >
>> > It always comes out to dry. My mother's apple pie used to have some
>> > delicious liquid with it, and I can't figure out how to do it.
>> >
>> > My problem is with the filling. I use:
>> >
>> > Two or three fresh apples
>> > Apple pie filling from a can
>> > Sugar
>> > Corn starch.
>> >
>> > What might I be doing wrong?
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help!
>> >
>> > Mordechai Housman

> For a "Mom Style" Apple Pie you gotta use granny smith apples. In
> the 50's and 60's Granny's were the baking apple of choice.

Thanks for the recipe! Now where in the world can I still get granny
smith apples??? I wonder if Chile stopped shipping apples for some
reason.

By the way, why does apple pie, which I like sweet, call for lemon
juice? Is it a contrast thing? Or is it some way that acids or whatever
interact with each other to bring out the taste?