other things to do with pizza dough?

Old 13-02-2006, 03:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default other things to do with pizza dough?

Can any tell me some good snacks to make with spare pizza dough?
Thanks!

Old 13-02-2006, 03:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dirty Harry wrote:

Can any tell me some good snacks to make with spare pizza dough?
Thanks!

Bread sticks, calzone, stromboli. If I have any left over
after that I make bead crumbs.

--
Reg

Old 13-02-2006, 03:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Fill them with ricotta and mozzarella, add veggies if desired (I uses
spinach sauteed with garlic and mushrooms) and make calzones. Serve
with marinara sauce on the side.

Roll out thin and sprinkle with garlic and parmesan and olive oil.
Slice into skinny breadsticks. Or use cheddar cheese, diced black
olives and red peppers as toppings.

Or use them for sweets - brush with melted butter and sprinkle with
cinnamon/sugar or a streusel topping mix and bake. Serve with sweetened
cream cheese dip and fruit for dessert or snacks.

Or make "dessert empanadas" - fill them with canned or homemade pie
filling, bake, dust with powdered sugar.

Old 13-02-2006, 03:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dirty Harry" wrote in message
Can any tell me some good snacks to make with spare pizza dough?
Thanks!

Roll it out (and bake) and put anything your heart desires on it -- sugar,
cinnamon, butter, bruschetta you would put on bread; make bread sticks.
(But if I had spare pizza dough, I'd put it back in the refrigerator or
freezer and save it for another [snack] pizza.)
Dee Dee

Old 13-02-2006, 06:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Put it in a ziplock bag in the frig, for up to 3-4 days. Use this, a "biga"
of sorts as a starter for your next pizza dough. Use a very small amount of
yeast in the next batch, so it rises over many hours, or even overnight in
the refrigerator. Make sure the dough is sticky, and not dry. You don't have
to try to throw it. That's for county circus types. Stretch it out and put
it on your peel. Slip it onto the 500F stone, and your next batch of pizza
will rise to a higher power.

"Reg" wrote in message
. ..

Old 13-02-2006, 03:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Rina wrote:
Make fried dough...
cut pieces and fry in oil, top with powdered sugar or my favorite dip in
maple syrup.

You're thinking "zepole", that uses an entirely different dough...
fried pizza dough is good if you ran out of lead sinkers.

Old 13-02-2006, 04:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dirty Harry wrote:
Can any tell me some good snacks to make with spare pizza dough?
Thanks!

Simple snack sized pizzas?

Old 13-02-2006, 05:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

The type of fried dough that we eat is similar to this "Hampton Beach" fried
dough: http://derekerdman.com/ilovemilkshak...t/IMG_0283.jpg

We don't deep fry, we just put a small amount of oil in a fry pan and flip
the pieces over after they have cooked on one side. Our "beach" fried is
usually done in deep fat for the sake of speed.

Rina

Old 13-02-2006, 05:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

Make fried dough...
cut pieces and fry in oil, top with powdered sugar or my
favorite
dip in maple syrup.

You're thinking "zepole", that uses an entirely different
dough...
fried pizza dough is good if you ran out of lead sinkers.

Zeppole are a very good treat! There's a shop run by 2 boys from
Naples, here in my town, and they sell wonderful zeppole.
If I recall clearly, the dough is based partly on flour and
partly on boiled, mashed potatoes.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'