Angel Food Cake Problems; Help Please

Old 24-12-2004, 02:51 AM
Mobjoe
Usenet poster

Default Angel Food Cake Problems; Help Please

My wife has tried three times to bake an angle food cake and when she turns
the pan over the cake collapses about 3 inches. She is using a cake pan that
the bottom comes out.
Tia
Mobjoe

Old 24-12-2004, 03:09 AM
DJS0302
Usenet poster

My wife has tried three times to bake an angle food cake and when she turns
the pan over the cake collapses about 3 inches. She is using a cake pan that
the bottom comes out.
Tia
Mobjoe

We need more information. I've learned from experience that if you overbeat
the egg whites an angel food cake will collapse. You should only beat the
whites just until they start to mound up and maybe start forming soft peaks.
Any more beating and the whites will have too much air in them and the cake
won't be able to support itself.

Old 24-12-2004, 03:10 AM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

"Mobjoe" wrote in message
My wife has tried three times to bake an angle food cake and when she

turns
the pan over the cake collapses about 3 inches. She is using a cake pan

that
the bottom comes out.
Tia
Mobjoe

How is the texture of the cake? If it is wet, then the cake wasn't baked
enough. How was it cooled? Angel food cake should be cooled with the pan
inverted. If it is thoroughly baked and cooled in an inverted position, I
don't see how it could collapse. It would help if you posted the recipe.
Also, make sure the pan is NOT greased.

Foam cakes are rather technique sensitive. You have to whip the whites to
the proper stage and no more. The equipment has to be free of grease. The
eggs have to be stabilized by using a copper bowl or more frequently an acid
like cream of tartar. The sugar should be added to the whites slowly. You
have to be very careful when you fold in the dry ingredients. Still, if the
cake had good volume when it went into the oven and after it came out, only
to collapse later, then I think it is underbaked and maybe not properly
cooled.

Old 24-12-2004, 03:23 AM
Mobjoe
Usenet poster

"DJS0302" wrote in message
My wife has tried three times to bake an angle food cake and when she

turns
the pan over the cake collapses about 3 inches. She is using a cake pan

that
the bottom comes out.
Tia
Mobjoe

We need more information. I've learned from experience that if you

overbeat
the egg whites an angel food cake will collapse. You should only beat the
whites just until they start to mound up and maybe start forming soft

peaks.
Any more beating and the whites will have too much air in them and the

cake
won't be able to support itself.

It falls only after it has been turned over and cooling. I beat the egg
whites with a hand electric mixer. on high to the consistency of miracle
whip dressing. Do you use a dark or light pan?

Tia
Mobjoe

Old 24-12-2004, 03:30 AM
Mobjoe
Usenet poster

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"Mobjoe" wrote in message
[...]

Here is the recipe
1 1/2 C egg whites
1 1/4 Teas. cream of tartar
1 teas. salt
Beat until very stiff

I c plain sugar (sifted)
Gently fold in

1 C flour
1 1/2 C powdered sugar (sift together)
1 1/4 teas. vanilla
1 1/4 almond extract
Add

Bake at 350 for 35- 40 minutes. Turn pan upside down and let cool

Tia
Mobjoe

Old 24-12-2004, 04:55 AM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

"Mobjoe" wrote in message
m...

Here is the recipe
1 1/2 C egg whites
1 1/4 Teas. cream of tartar
1 teas. salt
Beat until very stiff

I c plain sugar (sifted)
Gently fold in

1 C flour
1 1/2 C powdered sugar (sift together)
1 1/4 teas. vanilla
1 1/4 almond extract
Add

Bake at 350 for 35- 40 minutes. Turn pan upside down and let cool

I don't use a recipe that includes powdered sugar, but I know that it is a
common variation. If you are making the cake exactly as you have indicated,
I see some problems.

First, you should combine the egg whites (at room temperature) with the
cream of tartan and salt in a large, immaculately clean bowl. Beat at low
speed until they start to foam. Increase the speed to high and start adding
the granulated sugar very slowly and continue to beat until the eggs form a
stiff peak. If you add the sugar too fast, it won't dissolve properly and
the foam will be compromised. You can test the foam occasionally by lifting
the beaters and turning them upside down. When a peak forms that stands
upright, you are done. The foam should be glossy. If you continue to beat
it, the foam will get a very white, matt appearance and the foam will not be
strong.

The dry ingredients are combined and sifted. You should use cake flour and
you should sift the mixture a couple of time to aerate it.

Here is a link to a similar recipe.
http://www.recipesource.com/desserts...5/rec1581.html
Note the instructions and follow them the next time. I'm sure that folding
in that plain sugar is a big problem. I has to be added very slowly while
you beat the eggs. Not too soon or too fast.

Old 24-12-2004, 06:36 AM
DJS0302
Usenet poster

It falls only after it has been turned over and cooling. I beat the egg
whites with a hand electric mixer. on high to the consistency of miracle
whip dressing. Do you use a dark or light pan?

Tia
Mobjoe

Are you taking the cake out of the pan to cool? If so, then stop. When you
take an angel food cake out of the oven you're suppose to turn the whole pan
upside down and set it somewhere to cool. When you take an angel food cake out
of the oven the structure isn't fully set and if you turn the cake right side
up it will collapse under its own weight. Make sure you only grease the
bottom of the pan and not the sides. The cake should remain in the upside-down
pan until it is COMPLETELY cool. Only after the cake is cool should you try to
remove it from the pan.

Old 24-12-2004, 06:06 PM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

"DJS0302" wrote in message
[...]

I've never known anyone to grease the bottom of a tube pan when making angel
food cake. Why bother?

Old 24-12-2004, 10:01 PM
DJS0302
Usenet poster

I've never known anyone to grease the bottom of a tube pan when making angel
food cake. Why bother?

I can see where removing an angel food cake from the pan is easy if you have a
tube pan with a removable bottom but what if you don't have a pan like that?
You can always run a knike around the sides of the pan to loosen the cake from
the sides but lossening the cake from the bottom might be a little tricky if
it's not greased first.