Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Angel Food Cake

Angel food cake from scratch for strawberry shortcake today. It really
is ridiculously easy to make. How good a thing it is to be plain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 May 2012 14:26:32 -0600, Pennyaline
> wrote:

>Angel food cake from scratch for strawberry shortcake today. It really
>is ridiculously easy to make. How good a thing it is to be plain.

Sometimes those simple, honest flavors are the most satisfying. I
love toasted angel food cake.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:

> Sometimes those simple, honest flavors are the most satisfying.

So how do you gauge your food's honesty? Lie-detector tests? Seeing if
it sinks in a vat of water?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/20/2012 3:52 PM, George M. Middius wrote:
> Tara wrote:
>
>> Sometimes those simple, honest flavors are the most satisfying.

> So how do you gauge your food's honesty? Lie-detector tests? Seeing if
> it sinks in a vat of water?

If it weighs the same as a duck, is it still angel food cake?

<if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...>

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

I have never had it toasted. Just slice it and put it in the toaster?
What do you put on it after?

Last week two coworkers brought angel food cakes for potluck-one's
tasted spectacular-heavy dense and moist yet classic look of angel food.
She said it was Betty Crocker's angel food cake mix. I remember she does
something different like extra egg or extra oil or something? The other
one's didnt taste good so we didn't ask any questions about it. They
looked the same.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

z z wrote:

> I have never had it toasted. Just slice it and put it in the toaster?

Toast it lightly -- the sugar will burn if you try for dark.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline replied to the troll:

>>> Sometimes those simple, honest flavors are the most satisfying.

>> So how do you gauge your food's honesty? Lie-detector tests? Seeing if
>> it sinks in a vat of water?

> If it weighs the same as a duck, is it still angel food cake?
>
> <if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...>

If it weighs the same as a duck, then it's a witch, Ms. Norwegian Blue.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 May 2012 14:26:32 -0600, Pennyaline
> wrote:

> Angel food cake from scratch for strawberry shortcake today. It really
> is ridiculously easy to make. How good a thing it is to be plain.

What did you make with the yolks?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/20/2012 10:53 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 20 May 2012 14:26:32 -0600, Pennyaline
> > wrote:
>
>> Angel food cake from scratch for strawberry shortcake today. It really
>> is ridiculously easy to make. How good a thing it is to be plain.

> What did you make with the yolks?

Nothing yet. They're in the fridge, waiting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2012 1:48 AM, Pennyaline wrote:
> On 5/20/2012 10:53 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 May 2012 14:26:32 -0600, Pennyaline
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Angel food cake from scratch for strawberry shortcake today. It really
>>> is ridiculously easy to make. How good a thing it is to be plain.

>> What did you make with the yolks?

> Nothing yet. They're in the fridge, waiting.

I have been thinking of trying "Just Whites" a powdered egg white
product for making an angel food cake. Has anyone had success with this
method?

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/20/2012 4:26 PM, Pennyaline wrote:
> Angel food cake from scratch for strawberry shortcake today. It really
> is ridiculously easy to make. How good a thing it is to be plain.

Wouldn't that be strawberry angel food cake?

nancy (hasn't been a caesar salad or fettuccini alfredo war in a while)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> On 5/20/2012 4:26 PM, Pennyaline wrote:
> > Angel food cake from scratch for strawberry shortcake today. It really
> > is ridiculously easy to make. How good a thing it is to be plain.

> Wouldn't that be strawberry angel food cake?
>
> nancy (hasn't been a caesar salad or fettuccini alfredo war in a while)

Pound cake is good for making strawberry shortcake too.

Gary

PS - in a pinch, even Hostess Twinkies work. They even have a bit of cream
inside.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2012 9:55 AM, Gary wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> On 5/20/2012 4:26 PM, Pennyaline wrote:
>>> Angel food cake from scratch for strawberry shortcake today. It really
>>> is ridiculously easy to make. How good a thing it is to be plain.

>> Wouldn't that be strawberry angel food cake?
>>
>> nancy (hasn't been a caesar salad or fettuccini alfredo war in a while)

> Pound cake is good for making strawberry shortcake too.

I've been having that a lot, lately, with Costco strawberries and
Costco pound cake.

I just don't thing of angel food or pound cake as shortcake.
Could be wrong.

> PS - in a pinch, even Hostess Twinkies work. They even have a bit of cream
> inside.

(laugh)

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Nancy Young <replyto@inemail> wrote:

> On 5/20/2012 4:26 PM, Pennyaline wrote:
> > Angel food cake from scratch for strawberry shortcake today. It really
> > is ridiculously easy to make. How good a thing it is to be plain.

> Wouldn't that be strawberry angel food cake?
>
> nancy (hasn't been a caesar salad or fettuccini alfredo war in a while)

Good point!
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 20, 3:26*pm, Pennyaline >
wrote:
> Angel food cake from scratch for strawberry shortcake today. It really
> is ridiculously easy to make. How good a thing it is to be plain.

Do you put a slight hint of almond flavoring in? My grandmother made
the best AFC ever! She used almond flavoring in a simple butter-cream
icing, and I can just taste it now....I can make a decent one, but
nothing like hers.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 20, 5:20*pm, (z z) wrote:
> I have never had it toasted. Just slice it and put it in the toaster?
> What do you put on it after?
>
> Last week two coworkers brought angel food cakes for potluck-one's
> tasted spectacular-heavy dense and moist yet classic look of angel food.
> She said it was Betty Crocker's angel food cake mix. I remember she does
> something different like extra egg or extra oil or something? The other
> one's didnt taste good so we didn't ask any questions about it. They
> looked the same.

Oil in angel food cake? AAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHH!

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 8:36*am, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> On 5/21/2012 1:48 AM, Pennyaline wrote:
>
> > On 5/20/2012 10:53 PM, sf wrote:
> >> On Sun, 20 May 2012 14:26:32 -0600, Pennyaline

> >> What did you make with the yolks?

> > Nothing yet. They're in the fridge, waiting.

> I have been thinking of trying "Just Whites" a powdered egg white
> product for making an angel food cake. *Has anyone had success with this
> method?
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. *Cooking does.

I have used Just Whites for other stuff - never substituted it for
real egg whites in AFC - why would you? They're healthful.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 May 2012 21:53:46 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 20 May 2012 14:26:32 -0600, Pennyaline
> wrote:
>
>> Angel food cake from scratch for strawberry shortcake today. It really
>> is ridiculously easy to make. How good a thing it is to be plain.

>What did you make with the yolks?

How many times are you going to ask that same question whenever
there's an angle food cake thread, freeze them of course, in your case
shove them in your crotch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2012 8:40 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> On May 20, 5:20 pm, (z z) wrote:
>> I have never had it toasted. Just slice it and put it in the toaster?
>> What do you put on it after?
>>
>> Last week two coworkers brought angel food cakes for potluck-one's
>> tasted spectacular-heavy dense and moist yet classic look of angel food.
>> She said it was Betty Crocker's angel food cake mix. I remember she does
>> something different like extra egg or extra oil or something? The other
>> one's didnt taste good so we didn't ask any questions about it. They
>> looked the same.

> Oil in angel food cake? AAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHH!

I assumed the poster was clueless about what goes into angel food, even
angel food cake mixes, just as the poster is clueless about the
"spectacular-heavy dense and moist" aspect of the potluck cake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2012 7:52 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 5/20/2012 4:26 PM, Pennyaline wrote:
>> Angel food cake from scratch for strawberry shortcake today. It really
>> is ridiculously easy to make. How good a thing it is to be plain.

> Wouldn't that be strawberry angel food cake?
>
> nancy (hasn't been a caesar salad or fettuccini alfredo war in a while)

It's like this: Where I come from, there's three ways to make strawberry
shortcake. We can make it for you with biscuits, we can make it for you
with pound cake, or we can make it for you with angel food cake. But if
you're gonna **** about it, we won't make it for you at all. Those are
the rules. Live by them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> > She said it was Betty Crocker's angel food cake mix. I remember she does
> > something different like extra egg or extra oil or something? The other
> > one's didnt taste good so we didn't ask any questions about it.

> Oil in angel food cake? AAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHH!

Rilly!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 7:40*am, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On May 20, 3:26*pm, Pennyaline >
> wrote:
>
> > Angel food cake from scratch for strawberry shortcake today. It really
> > is ridiculously easy to make. How good a thing it is to be plain.

> Do you put a slight hint of almond flavoring in? *My grandmother made
> the best AFC ever! *She used almond flavoring in a simple butter-cream
> icing, and I can just taste it now....I can make a decent one, but
> nothing like hers.
>
> N.

i'd rather eat cotton balls than angel food cake.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2012 11:42 AM, Chemo the Clown wrote:
> On May 21, 7:40 am, > wrote:
>> On May 20, 3:26 pm, >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Angel food cake from scratch for strawberry shortcake today. It really
>>> is ridiculously easy to make. How good a thing it is to be plain.

>> Do you put a slight hint of almond flavoring in? My grandmother made
>> the best AFC ever! She used almond flavoring in a simple butter-cream
>> icing, and I can just taste it now....I can make a decent one, but
>> nothing like hers.
>>
>> N.

> i'd rather eat cotton balls than angel food cake.

That works for me. More cake for me that way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 12:42*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On May 21, 7:40*am, Nancy2 > wrote:
>
> > On May 20, 3:26*pm, Pennyaline >
> > wrote:

> > > Angel food cake from scratch for strawberry shortcake today. It really
> > > is ridiculously easy to make. How good a thing it is to be plain.

> > Do you put a slight hint of almond flavoring in? *My grandmother made
> > the best AFC ever! *She used almond flavoring in a simple butter-cream
> > icing, and I can just taste it now....I can make a decent one, but
> > nothing like hers.

> > N.

> i'd rather eat cotton balls than angel food cake.

You'all just have never had a really good one. ;-)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2012 9:41 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> On May 21, 8:36 am, Janet > wrote:

>>> Nothing yet. They're in the fridge, waiting.

>> I have been thinking of trying "Just Whites" a powdered egg white
>> product for making an angel food cake. Has anyone had success with this
>> method?
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

> I have used Just Whites for other stuff - never substituted it for
> real egg whites in AFC - why would you? They're healthful.
>
> N.

We would not use all the yolks left from separating the eggs. Wasting
all those yolks is why I was thinking of toe powdered egg whites.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline wrote:

>Angel food cake from scratch for
> strawberry shortcake today. It really is
> ridiculously easy to make. How good a
> thing it is to be plain.

I like angel food cake, and quit making them from scratch several years
ago, when I discovered Betty Crocker's angel mix, as is made in 1 minute
and is fool proof and to me, it's every bit as good, though still with
most cakes, I prefer homemade.

For strawberry shortcake we prefer a rich fluffy homemade biscuits, and
while still warm, split open, spread with butter and heap with sliced
fresh strawberries and REAL whipped cream on top of that. Sometimes we
have had just that for a meal and is most satisfying!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2012 12:59 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Mon, 21 May 2012 13:41:04 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> We would not use all the yolks left from separating the eggs. Wasting
>> all those yolks is why I was thinking of toe powdered egg whites.

> Oh my. I can think of a lot of uses for egg yolks. I wouldn't let
> them go to waste at all. Ice cream, for one. Hollandaise, or
> bearnaise sauce for another.

Yup. Today I'll use the yolks in oatmeal cookies and orange curd
(excellent with angel food cake!). What doesn't get used today will be
frozen for the future. There are loads of uses for yolks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 1:41*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> On 5/21/2012 9:41 AM, Nancy2 wrote:

> >> I have been thinking of trying "Just Whites" a powdered egg white
> >> product for making an angel food cake. *Has anyone had success with this
> >> method?

> >> --
> >> Janet Wilder
> >> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> >> Spelling doesn't count. *Cooking does.

> > I have used Just Whites for other stuff - never substituted it for
> > real egg whites in AFC - why would you? *They're healthful.

> > N.

> We would not use all the yolks left from separating the eggs. Wasting
> all those yolks is why I was thinking of toe powdered egg whites.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. *Cooking does.

You could easily use them up in custard - but maybe you have a health
reason not to want to use them. Here's a website with all kinds of
ideas:

http://www.fortysomething.ca/2010/04...tra_egg_yo.php

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2012 1:59 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Mon, 21 May 2012 13:41:04 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> We would not use all the yolks left from separating the eggs. Wasting
>> all those yolks is why I was thinking of toe powdered egg whites.

> Oh my. I can think of a lot of uses for egg yolks. I wouldn't let
> them go to waste at all. Ice cream, for one. Hollandaise, or
> bearnaise sauce for another.
>
> Christine

None of the above are in our dietary plans. :-). We eat low-fat and
low-carb.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2012 3:57 PM, l, not -l wrote:
> On 21-May-2012, Janet > wrote:
>
>> We would not use all the yolks left from separating the eggs. Wasting
>> all those yolks is why I was thinking of toe powdered egg whites.

> Custard is the solution; better yet, frozen custard. I prefer pound cake to
> angel food cake as the base; but, a slice of angel food cake, a ladle of
> sliced berries and a scoop of vanilla frozen custard can be a mighty tastey
> thing.

Custard is not on our menu. We are pretty careful about carbs and fats
for health reasons.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/05/2012 6:03 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 5/21/2012 3:57 PM, l, not -l wrote:
>> On 21-May-2012, Janet > wrote:
>>
>>> We would not use all the yolks left from separating the eggs. Wasting
>>> all those yolks is why I was thinking of toe powdered egg whites.

>> Custard is the solution; better yet, frozen custard. I prefer pound
>> cake to
>> angel food cake as the base; but, a slice of angel food cake, a ladle of
>> sliced berries and a scoop of vanilla frozen custard can be a mighty
>> tastey
>> thing.

> Custard is not on our menu. We are pretty careful about carbs and fats
> for health reasons.

Then the yolks are going to be wasted. If they are health reasons for
not eating them I would assume those would apply no matter who you end
up using them.

My wife once made a couple of large meringues with roasted slivered
almonds in them. Then she wondered about making them into some sort of
layered dish. She made a variation of pot de chocolate and spread in on
top of the meringues. It food enough to be repeated a few times.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 May 2012 08:36:30 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> I have been thinking of trying "Just Whites" a powdered egg white
> product for making an angel food cake. Has anyone had success with this
> method?

I'm wondering if those pasteurized whites in a carton would work.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 May 2012 12:59:53 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 May 2012 13:41:04 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
> >We would not use all the yolks left from separating the eggs. Wasting
> >all those yolks is why I was thinking of toe powdered egg whites.

> Oh my. I can think of a lot of uses for egg yolks. I wouldn't let
> them go to waste at all. Ice cream, for one. Hollandaise, or
> bearnaise sauce for another.

Would you freeze them individually until you needed them?

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 May 2012 13:04:33 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> Here's a website with all kinds of
> ideas:
>
> http://www.fortysomething.ca/2010/04...tra_egg_yo.php

Thanks! I knew something had to be on the internet like that, because
I have a cookbook called "The Other Half of the Egg" or words to that
effect. However, I've tried to find it and failed each time.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 May 2012 10:01:49 -0400, Nancy Young <replyto@inemail>
wrote:

> I just don't thing of angel food or pound cake as shortcake.
> Could be wrong.

You're not wrong. Shortcake is completely different from pound cake
and angelfood cake.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2012 5:02 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 21 May 2012 10:01:49 -0400, Nancy Young<replyto@inemail>
> wrote:
>
>> I just don't thing of angel food or pound cake as shortcake.
>> Could be wrong.

> You're not wrong. Shortcake is completely different from pound cake
> and angelfood cake.

Yes, yes, it didn't need to be said. Nancy knew that already. It's the
in your face usage of "shortcake" that she's pointing out.

<good thing we don't care... see my previous post on three ways to make
shortcake and one way to screw it all up>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2012 7:45 PM, Pennyaline wrote:
> On 5/21/2012 5:02 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 May 2012 10:01:49 -0400, Nancy Young<replyto@inemail>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I just don't thing of angel food or pound cake as shortcake.
>>> Could be wrong.

>> You're not wrong. Shortcake is completely different from pound cake
>> and angelfood cake.

> Yes, yes, it didn't need to be said. Nancy knew that already. It's the
> in your face usage of "shortcake" that she's pointing out.

Hey, I'm no baker, I was wondering if other kinds of cake met
the description.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

I fall into the category of never really liked angel food which is why
the coworker's was so spectacular-she does something different. Those
two cakes looked identical yet hers weighed more-it was a Betty Crocker
mix and I am beginning to think brand of cake mix makes a difference-but
she does do something extra to hers.

If you cannot enjoy the angel food cake plain without anything on it
that is a bad one imo-hers could be enjoyed as is.

Mom used to simply frost them with a powder sugar glaze. I don't really
care for the marshmallow/cool whip type toppings and I have always
disliked any berries sweetened into a sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2012 5:26 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 21 May 2012 08:36:30 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> I have been thinking of trying "Just Whites" a powdered egg white
>> product for making an angel food cake. Has anyone had success with this
>> method?

> I'm wondering if those pasteurized whites in a carton would work.

I don't believe I've ever seen those. I use the powdered whites to make
coconut and almond macaroons for DH. Flourless cookies with fake sweetener.