Vox Humana

"Mobjoe" > wrote in message
m...

> Here is the recipe
> 1 1/2 C egg whites
> 1 1/4 Teas. cream of tartar
> 1 teas. salt
> Beat until very stiff
>
> I c plain sugar (sifted)
> Gently fold in
>
> 1 C flour
> 1 1/2 C powdered sugar (sift together)
> 1 1/4 teas. vanilla
> 1 1/4 almond extract
> Add
>
> Bake at 350 for 35- 40 minutes. Turn pan upside down and let cool

I don't use a recipe that includes powdered sugar, but I know that it is a
common variation. If you are making the cake exactly as you have indicated,
I see some problems.

First, you should combine the egg whites (at room temperature) with the
cream of tartan and salt in a large, immaculately clean bowl. Beat at low
speed until they start to foam. Increase the speed to high and start adding
the granulated sugar very slowly and continue to beat until the eggs form a
stiff peak. If you add the sugar too fast, it won't dissolve properly and
the foam will be compromised. You can test the foam occasionally by lifting
the beaters and turning them upside down. When a peak forms that stands
upright, you are done. The foam should be glossy. If you continue to beat
it, the foam will get a very white, matt appearance and the foam will not be
strong.

The dry ingredients are combined and sifted. You should use cake flour and
you should sift the mixture a couple of time to aerate it.

Here is a link to a similar recipe.
http://www.recipesource.com/desserts...5/rec1581.html
Note the instructions and follow them the next time. I'm sure that folding
in that plain sugar is a big problem. I has to be added very slowly while
you beat the eggs. Not too soon or too fast.