Pumpkin side dishes ?

Old 19-02-2004, 09:28 PM
trudiefrur
Usenet poster

Default Pumpkin side dishes ?

Any clever ways of serving canned pumpkin? It is such a nutrient dense
low calorie veg and I like to eat it several times per week. I just
looked it up on the USDA website and it contains all the amino acids
plus so many vitamins, good fiber (2.7 Gm per 1/2 cup) for very few
calories. Tonight I served it with salt, pepper, equal sweetner and
cut up raw apple for texture. I've mixed it with a baked sweet potato
and also with carrots and also frozen squash. The flavor is rather
bland so I'm looking for tasty ideas.
Old 19-02-2004, 10:39 PM
Rick & Cyndi
Usenet poster

"trudiefrur" wrote in message
om...
: Any clever ways of serving canned pumpkin? It is such a
nutrient dense
: low calorie veg and I like to eat it several times per week. I
just
: looked it up on the USDA website and it contains all the amino
acids
: plus so many vitamins, good fiber (2.7 Gm per 1/2 cup) for very
few
: calories. Tonight I served it with salt, pepper, equal sweetner
and
: cut up raw apple for texture. I've mixed it with a baked sweet
potato
: and also with carrots and also frozen squash. The flavor is
rather
: bland so I'm looking for tasty ideas.
=======

I recently made Pumpkin-Chocolate Chip cookies that tasted quite
nice! They stayed kind of moist... but really good.
--
Cyndi
Remove a "b" to reply

Old 20-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Frogleg
Usenet poster

On 19 Feb 2004 13:28:56 -0800, (trudiefrur)
wrote:

Any clever ways of serving canned pumpkin?

Google on

"canned pumpkin" recipe

for a flock of references. Here's one:

http://www.aliciasrecipes.com/pumpkin_recipes.htm

('though my pop-up blocker dinged like a car alarm)

Looks like with canned pumpkin you're pretty much restricted to bread,
muffins, pies, etc. There's an Afghan recipe for fresh pumpkin I've
had that is very good:

http://www.afghan-network.net/Cooking/recipe34.html

For more reicpes than you could ever use, try:

http://www.pumpkinnook.com/cookbook.htm
Old 24-02-2004, 02:29 AM
LSnow1111
Usenet poster

I have a black bean soup recipe that has pumpkin in it, and it's very good.
Email me if you want it.
Old 24-02-2004, 02:58 AM
JLove98905
Usenet poster

I had really good baked baby sugar pumpkin as a side (eaten like an acorn
squash, with butter and brown sugar and maple syrup inside). Only problem is,
you have to make it when the sweet little sugar pumpkins are peaking.
Unless...someone out here knows how to get 'em year round?
-j
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Pumpkin side dishes trudiefrur Baking 2 19-02-2004 06:38 PM
suggested side dishes? Dawn General Cooking 21 22-12-2003 10:19 AM
REC: Pumpkin Cobbler Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 1 22-11-2003 04:22 AM
pumpkin & cornmeal cake with orange syrup Peggy General Cooking 2 23-10-2003 08:49 PM
Pumpkin pie...Baked in the pie BOB General Cooking 0 15-10-2003 01:53 AM