Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pasta or rice side dishes?

My only experience with pasta side dishes are the horrible boxed things that
my mom used to buy. Like Noodleroni or Noodles Romanoff. Well, I guess
that's not quite true. I used to make egg noodles tossed with butter and
parsley. But I have no egg noodles now. Just assorted other shapes of
whole wheat pasta.

Do you make any sort of side dishes that use this kind of pasta? I have a
lot of it and need to make more of an effort to use it up. And I am
planning to make some plain meats this week so I need a side. Could also
use ideas for rice. Brown rice. Have made Rice e Bisi but have not tried
it with brown rice.

I will likely not be eating these foods so they could contain pretty much
anything except for basil because Angela can't have that. I mainly just
make plain rice or Spanish/Mexican rice but I seem to be the only fan of
those things.

Help!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 21:15:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> My only experience with pasta side dishes are the horrible boxed things that
> my mom used to buy. Like Noodleroni or Noodles Romanoff. Well, I guess
> that's not quite true. I used to make egg noodles tossed with butter and
> parsley. But I have no egg noodles now. Just assorted other shapes of
> whole wheat pasta.
>
> Do you make any sort of side dishes that use this kind of pasta? I have a
> lot of it and need to make more of an effort to use it up. And I am
> planning to make some plain meats this week so I need a side. Could also
> use ideas for rice. Brown rice. Have made Rice e Bisi but have not tried
> it with brown rice.
>
> I will likely not be eating these foods so they could contain pretty much
> anything except for basil because Angela can't have that. I mainly just
> make plain rice or Spanish/Mexican rice but I seem to be the only fan of
> those things.

Do what you usually do with blond noodles only use whole wheat. If
you make a decent mac & cheese (always a side dish for me), make it
with whole wheat noodles. I made (low fat) chicken tetrazzini last
night, using up some store-bought rotisserie chicken and the tail end
of a package of whole wheat noodles.

Why do you have to do anything to brown rice? Just steam it. If you
want to do "something", use stock instead of water and simply use it
as your starch side.

Pasta and rice are too carb laden to be main dishes. Think about how
you usually cook rice and pasta, make it with brown rice or WW noodles
and serve it as a side, not a main. I think risi e bisi is great, but
not as the main event. You need some meat,vegetables and salad on
your plate too. Vegetables/salad should be half the plate, meat and
starch (potatoes/pasta/rice) 1/4 each.

3 oz. meat = size of a deck of cards or bar of soap (the recommended
portion for a meal)

1 medium potato = size of a computer mouse

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 21:15:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> My only experience with pasta side dishes are the horrible boxed things
>> that
>> my mom used to buy. Like Noodleroni or Noodles Romanoff. Well, I guess
>> that's not quite true. I used to make egg noodles tossed with butter and
>> parsley. But I have no egg noodles now. Just assorted other shapes of
>> whole wheat pasta.
>>
>> Do you make any sort of side dishes that use this kind of pasta? I have
>> lot of it and need to make more of an effort to use it up. And I am
>> planning to make some plain meats this week so I need a side. Could also
>> use ideas for rice. Brown rice. Have made Rice e Bisi but have not
>> tried
>> it with brown rice.
>>
>> I will likely not be eating these foods so they could contain pretty much
>> anything except for basil because Angela can't have that. I mainly just
>> make plain rice or Spanish/Mexican rice but I seem to be the only fan of
>> those things.
>>

> Do what you usually do with blond noodles only use whole wheat. If
> you make a decent mac & cheese (always a side dish for me), make it
> with whole wheat noodles. I made (low fat) chicken tetrazzini last
> night, using up some store-bought rotisserie chicken and the tail end
> of a package of whole wheat noodles.

But for me mac and cheese isn't a side dish. It's the meal. So is chicken
tetrazinni. I have plenty of pasta meals I can make. But I want side
dishes.

> Why do you have to do anything to brown rice? Just steam it. If you
> want to do "something", use stock instead of water and simply use it
> as your starch side.

Husband and daughter don't like it plain like that. So that's why I want
some sort of side dish idea.

> Pasta and rice are too carb laden to be main dishes. Think about how
> you usually cook rice and pasta, make it with brown rice or WW noodles
> and serve it as a side, not a main. I think risi e bisi is great, but
> not as the main event. You need some meat,vegetables and salad on
> your plate too. Vegetables/salad should be half the plate, meat and
> starch (potatoes/pasta/rice) 1/4 each.

No they're not! They are often our main dish meals here. I add in
vegetables, maybe meat, fish or cheese. Or maybe just beans.

We don't usually eat like that. I ususally make one dish meals. But since
I am planning to do the plain meats, I am looking for side dishes that would
be made with the pasta or rice. Something that isn't too plain.

I almost always serve a salad for my husband and daughter's meals. I have
to be careful with the salads and vegetables for myself. But then, often I
just a meal for myself.

> 3 oz. meat = size of a deck of cards or bar of soap (the recommended
> portion for a meal)

I know that.

> 1 medium potato = size of a computer mouse

I know that. I'm a diabetic. I well know portion size and all that. But
to me a side dish would not contain protein. Or not much of it. Unless of
course it is beans which I myself would likely eat as the main dish. They
would probably prefer potatoes as the side but daughter isn't supposed to
eat potatoes. She can have sweet potatoes but is getting sick of them. And
I need to use up that brown rice that I bought at Costco. It expires in
Aug. I have used most of it now but have several more cups to use. And
tons of pasta.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Bove[_2_] View Post
[...]

This is one of my favorite pasta salad recipes. Normally make it with angel hair spaghetti but should work with other shapes. I would leave out the MSG if it was me.

Susan Chup's Spaghetti Salad

1 lb. vermicelli or angel hair pasta cooked, rinsed, and drained
1 T. Accent (MSG)
2 T. Lawrys Seasoned Salt
3 T. Lemon Juice
4 T. Olive oil

Combine above ingredients and marinate overnight in the ice box. Next day add this:

1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 small can chopped black olives
1 large jar pimentos
1 to 1 1/2 cup Mayonnnaise

Mix it up..chill and eat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> My only experience with pasta side dishes are the horrible boxed things that
> my mom used to buy. Like Noodleroni or Noodles Romanoff. Well, I guess
> that's not quite true. I used to make egg noodles tossed with butter and
> parsley. But I have no egg noodles now. Just assorted other shapes of
> whole wheat pasta.
>
> Do you make any sort of side dishes that use this kind of pasta? I have a
> lot of it and need to make more of an effort to use it up. And I am
> planning to make some plain meats this week so I need a side. Could also
> use ideas for rice. Brown rice. Have made Rice e Bisi but have not tried
> it with brown rice.
>
> I will likely not be eating these foods so they could contain pretty much
> anything except for basil because Angela can't have that. I mainly just
> make plain rice or Spanish/Mexican rice but I seem to be the only fan of
> those things.
>
> Help!

I toss pasta with pesto and sometimes add mushrooms and/or onions

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bigwheel" > wrote in message

> 'Julie Bove[_2_ Wrote:
>> ;1838157']My only experience with pasta side dishes are the horrible
>> boxed things that
>> my mom used to buy. Like Noodleroni or Noodles Romanoff. Well, I guess
>>
>> that's not quite true. I used to make egg noodles tossed with butter
>> and
>> parsley. But I have no egg noodles now. Just assorted other shapes of
>>
>> whole wheat pasta.
>>
>> Do you make any sort of side dishes that use this kind of pasta? I have
>> lot of it and need to make more of an effort to use it up. And I am
>> planning to make some plain meats this week so I need a side. Could
>> also
>> use ideas for rice. Brown rice. Have made Rice e Bisi but have not
>> tried
>> it with brown rice.
>>
>> I will likely not be eating these foods so they could contain pretty
>> much
>> anything except for basil because Angela can't have that. I mainly just
>>
>> make plain rice or Spanish/Mexican rice but I seem to be the only fan of
>>
>> those things.
>>
>> Help!

> This is one of my favorite pasta salad recipes. Normally make it with
> angel hair spaghetti but should work with other shapes. I would leave
> out the MSG if it was me.
>
> Susan Chup's Spaghetti Salad
>
> 1 lb. vermicelli or angel hair pasta cooked, rinsed, and drained
> 1 T. Accent (MSG)
> 2 T. Lawrys Seasoned Salt
> 3 T. Lemon Juice
> 4 T. Olive oil
>
> Combine above ingredients and marinate overnight in the ice box. Next
> day add this:
>
> 1 cup chopped celery
> 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
> 1/2 cup chopped onion
> 1 small can chopped black olives
> 1 large jar pimentos
> 1 to 1 1/2 cup Mayonnnaise
>
> Mix it up..chill and eat.

Well, that all looks good except for the seasoned salt or msg. I don't use
those things. I will look into something I can sub for those. Thanks!

Senior Member

"bigwheel" wrote in message

'Julie Bove[_2_ Wrote:
[...]

You betcha..sure a little subbing work out fine. I have made it a bunch of times and always got rave reviews. Lady we used to cook bbq with named Susan Chup..said she got the the recipe out of a Ladies Magazine many moons ago. Makes a great side to any kind of spicy food..especially good for replacing tater salad or cole slaw. Sorta cools you off a bit..lol.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bigwheel" > wrote in message

> 'Julie Bove[_2_ Wrote:
>> ;1838343']"bigwheel" wrote in
>> message
>> ...-
>>
>> 'Julie Bove[_2_ Wrote:-
>> ;1838157']My only experience with pasta side dishes are the horrible
>> boxed things that
>> my mom used to buy. Like Noodleroni or Noodles Romanoff. Well, I
>> guess
>>
>> that's not quite true. I used to make egg noodles tossed with butter
>> and
>> parsley. But I have no egg noodles now. Just assorted other shapes
>> of
>>
>> whole wheat pasta.
>>
>> Do you make any sort of side dishes that use this kind of pasta? I
>> have
>> lot of it and need to make more of an effort to use it up. And I am
>> planning to make some plain meats this week so I need a side. Could
>> also
>> use ideas for rice. Brown rice. Have made Rice e Bisi but have not
>> tried
>> it with brown rice.
>>
>> I will likely not be eating these foods so they could contain pretty
>> much
>> anything except for basil because Angela can't have that. I mainly
>> just
>>
>> make plain rice or Spanish/Mexican rice but I seem to be the only fan
>> of
>>
>> those things.
>>
>> Help!-
>>
>> This is one of my favorite pasta salad recipes. Normally make it with
>> angel hair spaghetti but should work with other shapes. I would leave
>> out the MSG if it was me.
>>
>> Susan Chup's Spaghetti Salad
>>
>> 1 lb. vermicelli or angel hair pasta cooked, rinsed, and drained
>> 1 T. Accent (MSG)
>> 2 T. Lawrys Seasoned Salt
>> 3 T. Lemon Juice
>> 4 T. Olive oil
>>
>> Combine above ingredients and marinate overnight in the ice box. Next
>> day add this:
>>
>> 1 cup chopped celery
>> 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
>> 1/2 cup chopped onion
>> 1 small can chopped black olives
>> 1 large jar pimentos
>> 1 to 1 1/2 cup Mayonnnaise
>>
>> Mix it up..chill and eat.-
>>
>> Well, that all looks good except for the seasoned salt or msg. I don't
>> use
>> those things. I will look into something I can sub for those. Thanks!

> You betcha..sure a little subbing work out fine. I have made it a bunch
> of times and always got rave reviews. Lady we used to cook bbq with
> named Susan Chup..said she got the the recipe out of a Ladies Magazine
> many moons ago. Makes a great side to any kind of spicy food..especially
> good for replacing tater salad or cole slaw. Sorta cools you off a
> bit..lol.

Interesting! Thanks!

German Side Dishes...??? Gregory Morrow[_33_] General Cooking 31 11-10-2007 11:05 PM
Quick Minute Rice Side Dishes (5) Collection ron g Recipes (moderated) 0 25-04-2004 10:36 PM
Pumpkin side dishes ? trudiefrur General Cooking 6 24-02-2004 02:58 AM
Pumpkin side dishes trudiefrur Baking 2 19-02-2004 06:38 PM
suggested side dishes? Dawn General Cooking 21 22-12-2003 10:19 AM