Nancy Howells

Default Pumpkin side dishes ?

In article >,
(trudiefrur) wrote:

> Any clever ways of serving canned pumpkin? It is such a nutrient dense
> low calorie veg and I like to eat it several times per week. I just
> looked it up on the USDA website and it contains all the amino acids
> plus so many vitamins, good fiber (2.7 Gm per 1/2 cup) for very few
> calories. Tonight I served it with salt, pepper, equal sweetner and
> cut up raw apple for texture. I've mixed it with a baked sweet potato
> and also with carrots and also frozen squash. The flavor is rather
> bland so I'm looking for tasty ideas

Oh, yes. Pumpkin cheesecake, if you're so inclined - let me know.

However, my favorite is with cinnamon, splenda, nutmeg and cloves,
warmed up, and served with a little whipped cream. Oh, my.

You can also do a a sugar-free, crust-free pumpkin pie - just follow the
directions on the back of the can of pumpkin for a pie, but leave out
the crust, and add splenda instead of sugar. It's quite good.

Last but not least, I like it savory, with curry powder, garlic, and a
little butter or olive oil, baked through.

--
Nancy Howells (don't forget to switch it, and replace the to send mail).