Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shrimp Scampi, ...and what else?

Found a recipe for shrimp scampi we tried tonite. It was nice, but
unsatisfying.
What goes with shrimp scampi? And does it stand alone, or does it go
over rice or noodles?
I want to try it again, but would like a full meal rather than just a
small-ish appetizer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pringles CheezUms" > wrote in message
> Found a recipe for shrimp scampi we tried tonite. It was nice, but
> unsatisfying.
> What goes with shrimp scampi? And does it stand alone, or does it go
> over rice or noodles?
> I want to try it again, but would like a full meal rather than just a
> small-ish appetizer.

I use angel hair pasta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/16/2014 10:52 PM, Pringles CheezUms wrote:
> Found a recipe for shrimp scampi we tried tonite. It was nice, but
> unsatisfying.
> What goes with shrimp scampi? And does it stand alone, or does it go
> over rice or noodles?
> I want to try it again, but would like a full meal rather than just a
> small-ish appetizer.

You certainly could serve it over pasta such as linguini or angel hair
or spaghetti. Rice, too. It would need enough sauce to work with the
pasta or rice, IMHO.

No, it won't be that sizzling appetizer. There needs to be butter and
oil sauce for making scampi a full dinner. Of course, YMMV. Did you
ever succeed in getting - what was it, Diet Dr. Pepper? at the
Cheesecake Factory?

http://southernfood.about.com/od/shr...es/r/bln81.htm

And this one:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Linguine-with-Scampi/

Throw in some greens (aka salad or lightly cooked greens tossed in olive
oil and garlic) and you've got a full blown dinner with this shrimp scampi.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>...Did you
>ever succeed in getting - what was it, Diet Dr. Pepper? at the
>Cheesecake Factory?

Holy cow I'm being stalked!
Don't remember a recent post about the Cheesecake Factory, maybe you're
thinking of someone else?
And I have been on a search for real-sugar Dr Pepper (rather than diet)
for a couple years, but I don't remember posting it here. Doesn't mean I
didn't post it somewhere else tho. No matter.
I did find some that they're making for the N Texas market and, I've
heard, some other places...but it's not the same. They say it's
'non-corn sweetener' or something like that. Not 'real cane sugar' like
the Dublin people used. So I've found the treasure at the end of the
rainbow, but it's not the prize I was looking for. I'm adjusting to
having the Really Good Stuff be in the past.

Thank you for the scampi input!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 21:52:19 -0500, Pringles CheezUms
> wrote:

>Found a recipe for shrimp scampi we tried tonite. It was nice, but
>unsatisfying.
>What goes with shrimp scampi? And does it stand alone, or does it go
>over rice or noodles?
>I want to try it again, but would like a full meal rather than just a
>small-ish appetizer.

I typically serve it over angel hair pasta. That being said, it should
be satasfying no matter what you serve it over, care to share your
recipe, that might be the issue.

koko

James Beard

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 21:52:19 -0500, Pringles CheezUms
> wrote:

> Found a recipe for shrimp scampi we tried tonite. It was nice, but
> unsatisfying.
> What goes with shrimp scampi? And does it stand alone, or does it go
> over rice or noodles?
> I want to try it again, but would like a full meal rather than just a
> small-ish appetizer.

Increase the volume of shrimp, serve with bread and a salad, or as
others have suggested: noodles.
http://damndelicious.net/2014/03/28/shrimp-scampi/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pringles CheezUms wrote:

>Found a recipe for shrimp scampi we tried tonite. It was nice, but
>unsatisfying.
>What goes with shrimp scampi? And does it stand alone, or does it go
>over rice or noodles?
>I want to try it again, but would like a full meal rather than just a
>small-ish appetizer.

Shrimp scampi is an appetizer... plain shrimp is never a satisfying
meal and served over pasta is just cheaping out... try these:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/surf-and-turf-for-two/
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/c...ce-recipe.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I thought scampi was a type of shrimp. Isn't shrimp scampi like saying au jus juice?

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Does anyone else remember Shrimp de Jonghe? It was really popular in the 60s. It is
basicqlly shrimp coated with butter, herbs and crumbs, and baked. Very tasty, and it doesn't
require any particular size shrimp. Warning: It has lots of butter.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 > wrote:

>I thought scampi was a type of shrimp. Isn't shrimp scampi like saying au jus juice?

Shrimp scampi = Shrimp shrimp

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2014 8:56 AM, Nancy2 wrote:

> I thought scampi was a type of shrimp. Isn't shrimp scampi like saying au jus juice?
>
> N.

It's a translation issue. In the US, scampi is a preparation method.
At the very basic level it's just shrimp sauteed in butter and olive oil
with garlic. No specific type of shrimp is required.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2014 8:56 AM, Nancy2 wrote:

> I thought scampi was a type of shrimp. Isn't shrimp scampi like saying au jus juice?

I understand it's a type of lobster.

At any rate, when I hear scampi, I know it's garlic/butter
sauced.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 8:56:47 AM UTC-4, Nancy2 wrote:
> I thought scampi was a type of shrimp. Isn't shrimp scampi like saying au jus juice?
>
> N.

No. Scampi is a method of preparation, generally using
lots of garlic.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2014 10:15 AM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 8:56:47 AM UTC-4, Nancy2 wrote:
>> I thought scampi was a type of shrimp. Isn't shrimp scampi like saying au jus juice?
>>
>> N.

> No. Scampi is a method of preparation, generally using
> lots of garlic.

And butter.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 05:56:47 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> I thought scampi was a type of shrimp. Isn't shrimp scampi like saying au jus juice?

Scampi, shrimp, prawn and gamba are all the same thing. Italians call
it scampi, Americans call it shrimp or prawn. We combined the words
to indicate a specific recipe. I think Shrimp Scampi is short for
shrimp, cooked scampi style. There's never a question about what the
ingredients are when it's called Shrimp Scampi - we know the sauce
will be garlic, onion, wine, lemon etc. We also know a dish will have
tomato when someone says "Marinara".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 06:04:39 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> Does anyone else remember Shrimp de Jonghe? It was really popular in the 60s. It is
> basicqlly shrimp coated with butter, herbs and crumbs, and baked. Very tasty, and it doesn't
> require any particular size shrimp. Warning: It has lots of butter.

No, but I would have ordered it if I saw it on a menu.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-09-17, jmcquown > wrote:
> It's a translation issue. In the US, scampi is a preparation method.

Then my sauteed mirepoix would be savory scampi??

> At the very basic level it's just shrimp sauteed in butter and olive oil
> with garlic. No specific type of shrimp is required.

On that level, I agree. I also add either lemon juice or a white wine
or both, at about 40%-50% of the finished broth. Fresh parsely is
also good. I then eat it with buttered SF sourdough bread to sop up
the broth. Yum!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message

> I thought scampi was a type of shrimp. Isn't shrimp scampi like saying au
> jus juice?
>
> N.

I think you mean "WITH au jus juice".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 10:38:06 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:

> Scampi, shrimp, prawn and gamba are all the same thing. Italians call
> it scampi

Don't think so. Shrimp in Italian is gamberetto and prawn is gambero,
the difference I believe being size.

Scampi is a preparation method.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/16/2014 7:52 PM, Pringles CheezUms wrote:
> Found a recipe for shrimp scampi we tried tonite. It was nice, but
> unsatisfying.
> What goes with shrimp scampi? And does it stand alone, or does it go
> over rice or noodles?
> I want to try it again, but would like a full meal rather than just a
> small-ish appetizer.

We use either a textured pasta (e.g., rotini) or rice. Textured pasta
captures the sauce better than stranded pasta such as angle hair.

For rice in general, we mix brown rice with wild rice. It takes a
little bit more water and longer to cook. For 1 cup of the mix, we use
2-1/4 cups of water; we cook it over a very low simmer for 45 minutes.

It is important to be sure neither the brown rice nor the wild rice are
pre-cooked or instant. We get them at Trader Joe's, which has both raw
and pre-cooked; so we check the package labels carefully.

--
David E. Ross

Visit "Cooking with David" at
<http://www.rossde.com/cooking/>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2014 11:22 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-09-17, jmcquown > wrote:
>> It's a translation issue. In the US, scampi is a preparation method.

> Then my sauteed mirepoix would be savory scampi??

Sauteed vegetables are not called scampi in the US, silly. Mirepoix is
a rather pretentious way of saying you sauteed celery, onions and
carrots together. Big whup, bro. No garlic?!

>> At the very basic level it's just shrimp sauteed in butter and olive oil
>> with garlic. No specific type of shrimp is required.

> On that level, I agree. I also add either lemon juice or a white wine
> or both, at about 40%-50% of the finished broth. Fresh parsely is
> also good. I then eat it with buttered SF sourdough bread to sop up
> the broth. Yum!
>
> nb

Yep, some lemon juice and maybe a splash of white wine is needed. Fresh
parsley completes the sauce and would be just fine spooned over some pasta.

Unlike Sheldon's claim, shrimp scampi is not merely an appetizer. I
like the idea of toasted sourdough bread.

That reminds me, I need to find some small round bread bowls (boules, if
you want to be Frenchified) so I can make my potato-leek soup soon.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2014 10:57 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 00:14:04 -0500, Pringles CheezUms wrote:
>
>> I did find some that they're making for the N Texas market and, I've
>> heard, some other places...but it's not the same. They say it's
>> 'non-corn sweetener' or something like that. Not 'real cane sugar' like
>> the Dublin people used. So I've found the treasure at the end of the
>> rainbow, but it's not the prize I was looking for. I'm adjusting to
>> having the Really Good Stuff be in the past.

> HEB's line of sodas are made with cane sugar, including it's Dr Pepper
> clone, "Dr. B" (also available in bottles). But as with the Dublin Dr
> Pepper, they're only available in Texas. Regular price is
> $2.97/12-pack, often $1.99 on sale.
>
> -sw

Currently, if you buy a 12-pack of HEB soda, you get a free bag of
cheesy poofs, or cheesy balls. I love HEB, I shopped there this morning,
no supermarket in town has better produce.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 10:38:06 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:
>>
>> Scampi, shrimp, prawn and gamba are all the same thing. Italians call
>> it scampi

> Don't think so. Shrimp in Italian is gamberetto and prawn is gambero,
> the difference I believe being size.

Think again. Scampi is one Italian word for prawns.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 2:07:41 PM UTC-4, Pico Rico wrote:
> "Helpful person" wrote in message
> > On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 10:38:06 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:

> >> Scampi, shrimp, prawn and gamba are all the same thing. Italians call
> >> it scampi

> > Don't think so. Shrimp in Italian is gamberetto and prawn is gambero,
> > the difference I believe being size.

> Think again. Scampi is one Italian word for prawns.

Scampi is a method of cooking prawns.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 2:07:41 PM UTC-4, Pico Rico wrote:

>> > Don't think so. Shrimp in Italian is gamberetto and prawn is gambero,
>> > the difference I believe being size.

>> Think again. Scampi is one Italian word for prawns.

> Scampi is a method of cooking prawns.

ok, so you have thought again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-09-17, jmcquown > wrote:

> That reminds me, I need to find some small round bread bowls (boules, if
> you want to be Frenchified)........

I don't know if you have access to TJs, but they usta sell little
micro-boules (I like "Frenchified") called "Super" sourdough, or
something like that. About the size of a lg grapefruit. Otherwise,
jes look around. Shockingly, I found a baker in Danver that makes a
SF sourdough almost better than I could find in the SFBA and it's
carried by our local sprmkt. Who knew!

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2014-09-17, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>> That reminds me, I need to find some small round bread bowls (boules, if
>> you want to be Frenchified)........

> I don't know if you have access to TJs, but they usta sell little
> micro-boules (I like "Frenchified") called "Super" sourdough, or
> something like that. About the size of a lg grapefruit. Otherwise,
> jes look around. Shockingly, I found a baker in Danver that makes a
> SF sourdough almost better than I could find in the SFBA and it's
> carried by our local sprmkt. Who knew!

?? a boule is a ball.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
>Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>> I thought scampi was a type of shrimp. Isn't shrimp scampi like saying au jus juice?

>I understand it's a type of lobster.

You're thinking langoustine, the true scampi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephrops_norvegicus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Helpful person > wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 10:38:06 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:
>>
>> Scampi, shrimp, prawn and gamba are all the same thing. Italians call
>> it scampi

>Don't think so. Shrimp in Italian is gamberetto and prawn is gambero,
>the difference I believe being size.
>
>Scampi is a preparation method.

Actually shrimp scampi can be said to be short for shrimp a la
langoustine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scampi
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 10:52:19 PM UTC-4, Pringles CheezUms wrote:
> Found a recipe for shrimp scampi we tried tonite. It was nice, but
>
> unsatisfying.
>
> What goes with shrimp scampi? And does it stand alone, or does it go
>
> over rice or noodles?
>
> I want to try it again, but would like a full meal rather than just a
>
> small-ish appetizer.

I usually have it with a baked potato ( agh - I know - doesn't 'go') - and a salad with lots of diff. veggies.
I like to soak the spud with the sauce - ya can't waste that buttery garlic wine flavor.

That's one meal when I don't spare the horses, but use real butter. If I am out of white wine, I'll use dry sherry. And it's axiomatic - you can't use too much garlic - just face the outer edge of the bed that night.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2014 3:06 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> On 2014-09-17, jmcquown > wrote:
>>>
>>> That reminds me, I need to find some small round bread bowls (boules, if
>>> you want to be Frenchified)........

>> I don't know if you have access to TJs, but they usta sell little
>> micro-boules (I like "Frenchified") called "Super" sourdough, or
>> something like that. About the size of a lg grapefruit. Otherwise,
>> jes look around. Shockingly, I found a baker in Danver that makes a
>> SF sourdough almost better than I could find in the SFBA and it's
>> carried by our local sprmkt. Who knew!
>>

> ?? a boule is a ball.

Small round loaf of bread. I hollow it out and make bread bowls for the
potato-leek soup. I use the insides to make breadcrumbs.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 8:06:07 AM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Shrimp scampi is an appetizer... plain shrimp is never a satisfying
>
> meal and served over pasta is just cheaping out... try these:
>
> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/surf-and-turf-for-two/
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/c...ce-recipe.html

Man, that 2nd one has everything I love. I'll try it.

You're right about the words - old cookbooks will just list the recipe as "Scampi".

Almost as bad as the preachers who tell the story of Christ and the "widder woman".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 9:04:39 AM UTC-4, Nancy2 wrote:
> Does anyone else remember Shrimp de Jonghe? It was really popular in the 60s. It is
>
> basicqlly shrimp coated with butter, herbs and crumbs, and baked. Very tasty, and it doesn't
>
> require any particular size shrimp. Warning: It has lots of butter.
>

> N.

Oh, YES. I can offer my recipe if I can find it. I use this when the shrimp is fresh out of the water. Nothing better to offer company, esp. if the shrimp is jumbo. My recipe does hark back to the late 60s, now that you mention it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2014 12:21 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 21:52:19 -0500, Pringles CheezUms
> > wrote:
>
>> Found a recipe for shrimp scampi we tried tonite. It was nice, but
>> unsatisfying.
>> What goes with shrimp scampi? And does it stand alone, or does it go
>> over rice or noodles?
>> I want to try it again, but would like a full meal rather than just a
>> small-ish appetizer.

> Increase the volume of shrimp, serve with bread and a salad, or as
> others have suggested: noodles.
> http://damndelicious.net/2014/03/28/shrimp-scampi/

Seriously cute little Corgi - not to be redundant...

One addition will really kick the taste up - a single anchovy sauteed in
until it dissolves.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2014 6:06 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Pringles CheezUms wrote:
>>
>> Found a recipe for shrimp scampi we tried tonite. It was nice, but
>> unsatisfying.
>> What goes with shrimp scampi? And does it stand alone, or does it go
>> over rice or noodles?
>> I want to try it again, but would like a full meal rather than just a
>> small-ish appetizer.

> Shrimp scampi is an appetizer... plain shrimp is never a satisfying
> meal and served over pasta is just cheaping out... try these:
> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/surf-and-turf-for-two/
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/c...ce-recipe.html

Why so many impediments?

It's great as a meal, appetizer, or even for breakfast!

I do like that pistachio dijon sauce though, yum!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2014 7:04 AM, Nancy2 wrote:

> Does anyone else remember Shrimp de Jonghe? It was really popular in the 60s. It is
> basicqlly shrimp coated with butter, herbs and crumbs, and baked. Very tasty, and it doesn't
> require any particular size shrimp. Warning: It has lots of butter.
>
> N.

We make that with the addition of fresh crushed garlic and a little
parmesan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2014 1:25 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 13:04:26 -0500, Becca EmaNymton wrote:

>>> HEB's line of sodas are made with cane sugar, including it's Dr Pepper
>>> clone, "Dr. B" (also available in bottles). But as with the Dublin Dr
>>> Pepper, they're only available in Texas. Regular price is
>>> $2.97/12-pack, often $1.99 on sale.

>> Currently, if you buy a 12-pack of HEB soda, you get a free bag of
>> cheesy poofs, or cheesy balls. I love HEB, I shopped there this morning,
>> no supermarket in town has better produce.

> Their new seasonal/limited-time apple soda is excellent. It's the
> most realistic apple-tasting soda I have ever tasted - it took me back
> to my childhood when I used to eat apples! Haven't tried the "Just
> Peachy" one yet which came out at the same time.
>
> I don't usually drink sodas but I've found myself trying all the new
> seasonal flavors (Watermelon and Sangria flavors a coupe months ago).
> Being made with real sugar is a definite plus.
>
> Their newish cheesy poofs are really good. Buffalo Blue or Deep Dish
> Pizza for me. I just wish they'd come in crunchy rather than poofy
> versions (only the Hijole flavor comes in crunchy, and I don't like
> that flavor).
>
> -sw

Have not tried their apple soda, yet. I tried the Intense Cheese,
cheesy poofs and they were good, I have not tried the Deep Dish Pizza,
though.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JohnJohn" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:58:29 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Nancy2" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I thought scampi was a type of shrimp. Isn't shrimp scampi like saying
>>> au
>>> jus juice?
>>>
>>> N.

>>I think you mean "WITH au jus juice".

> That's even worse.

yes, that was the point I was trying to point out, pointlessly it seems.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JohnJohn" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:02:22 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> > wrote:
>

>>"JohnJohn" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:58:29 -0700, "Pico Rico"

>>> That's even worse.

>>yes, that was the point I was trying to point out, pointlessly it seems.

> Oh, sorry.

that's ok, we've all been there!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 06:04:39 -0700, Nancy2 wrote:

> Does anyone else remember Shrimp de Jonghe? It was really popular in
> the 60s. It is basicqlly shrimp coated with butter, herbs and crumbs,
> and baked. Very tasty, and it doesn't require any particular size
> shrimp. Warning: It has lots of butter.

Jane and Michael Stern make it sound like a treat.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1987-04-02/
lifestyle/0120110295_1_jonghe-garlic-shrimp

http://tinyurl.com/ocga5z5

Tara