Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Storing Bacon Fat at Room Temperature

I've made three packages of bacon over the last few days - two yesterday
and one the day before.

I usually just pour the bacon fat into a coffee cup and leave it on the
kitchen counter because it's bacon at breakfast and then we'll use the
fat to make salad dressing for dinner.

Today, we used the bacon fat from Sunday to pan sear scallops as well as
for salad dressing - it was fine. How long can one store bacon fat on
the kitchen counter without it going bad? I'd think probably quite a
while - but I don't know and I don't need food poisoning, either.

Thanks.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 3:47:40 PM UTC-8, Steve Freides wrote:
> I've made three packages of bacon over the last few days - two yesterday
>
> and one the day before.
>

> I usually just pour the bacon fat into a coffee cup and leave it on the
>
> kitchen counter because it's bacon at breakfast and then we'll use the
>
> fat to make salad dressing for dinner.
>

> Today, we used the bacon fat from Sunday to pan sear scallops as well as
>
> for salad dressing - it was fine. How long can one store bacon fat on
>
> the kitchen counter without it going bad? I'd think probably quite a
>
> while - but I don't know and I don't need food poisoning, either.
>

> Thanks.
>

> -S-

I don't take a chance, I keep my bacon fat in a container in the fridge.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'd at least refrigerate it. I bet it could get rancid soon on a counter, plus look like the devil, unless you store it in your Lenox. : ))

How about freezing it and then putting it out for the birds in this cold? Seems like that's a Sheldon rec.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> I've made three packages of bacon over the last few days - two yesterday
> and one the day before.
>
> I usually just pour the bacon fat into a coffee cup and leave it on the
> kitchen counter because it's bacon at breakfast and then we'll use the fat
> to make salad dressing for dinner.
>
> Today, we used the bacon fat from Sunday to pan sear scallops as well as
> for salad dressing - it was fine. How long can one store bacon fat on the
> kitchen counter without it going bad? I'd think probably quite a while -
> but I don't know and I don't need food poisoning, either.

I store mine in the fridge. Not sure why you need to do so at room temp.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> I've made three packages of bacon over the last few days - two yesterday
>> and one the day before.
>>
>> I usually just pour the bacon fat into a coffee cup and leave it on the
>> kitchen counter because it's bacon at breakfast and then we'll use the
>> fat to make salad dressing for dinner.
>>
>> Today, we used the bacon fat from Sunday to pan sear scallops as well as
>> for salad dressing - it was fine. How long can one store bacon fat on
>> the kitchen counter without it going bad? I'd think probably quite a
>> while - but I don't know and I don't need food poisoning, either.

> I store mine in the fridge. Not sure why you need to do so at room temp.

I don't store it but if I did it would be in the fridge or freezer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 18:47:40 -0500, Steve Freides wrote:
>
>> How long can one store bacon fat on
>> the kitchen counter without it going bad? I'd think probably quite a
>> while - but I don't know and I don't need food poisoning, either.

> Here comes the barrage of people claiming how their grandmothers did
> this and that they do that, and that it makes a great lip
> gloss. -snip-

Now _there_ is a suggestion I'm going to give to my wife.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> I've made three packages of bacon over the last few days - two
>> yesterday and one the day before.
>>
>> I usually just pour the bacon fat into a coffee cup and leave it on
>> the kitchen counter because it's bacon at breakfast and then we'll
>> use the fat to make salad dressing for dinner.
>>
>> Today, we used the bacon fat from Sunday to pan sear scallops as
>> well as for salad dressing - it was fine. How long can one store
>> bacon fat on the kitchen counter without it going bad? I'd think
>> probably quite a while - but I don't know and I don't need food
>> poisoning, either.

> I store mine in the fridge. Not sure why you need to do so at room
> temp.

No "need" except that I got in the habit because once we started saving
it, we'd use it later that day at first. It's only lately that a day or
three goes by before we use it.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>>> I've made three packages of bacon over the last few days - two
>>> yesterday and one the day before.
>>>
>>> I usually just pour the bacon fat into a coffee cup and leave it on
>>> the kitchen counter because it's bacon at breakfast and then we'll
>>> use the fat to make salad dressing for dinner.
>>>
>>> Today, we used the bacon fat from Sunday to pan sear scallops as
>>> well as for salad dressing - it was fine. How long can one store
>>> bacon fat on the kitchen counter without it going bad? I'd think
>>> probably quite a while - but I don't know and I don't need food
>>> poisoning, either.

>> I store mine in the fridge. Not sure why you need to do so at room
>> temp.

> No "need" except that I got in the habit because once we started saving
> it, we'd use it later that day at first. It's only lately that a day or
> three goes by before we use it.

Ok. I suspect if you want to keep it so long you might want to just pop it
in the fridge and you can be sure it is good

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:
>On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 18:47:40 -0500, Steve Freides wrote:
>
>> How long can one store bacon fat on
>> the kitchen counter without it going bad? I'd think probably quite a
>> while - but I don't know and I don't need food poisoning, either.

>Here comes the barrage of people claiming how their grandmothers did
>this and that they do that, and that it makes a great lip gloss.

Well, I've known people who kept bacon fat in a covered canister
on the back of the stove, but I keep mine in a jar in the fridge.

I don't know about lip gloss, but it makes a fine perfume.

>Unless your bacon fat is refined free of moisture and solids, and is
>that "uncured" stuff (knowing you), then less than a week.
>
>Bacon fat isn't all it's cracked up to be, even when properly stored.

Fie! It's the elixir of the gods.

I think it's time to make lentil soup, and start by sweating
some onions in bacon grease.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2014 5:52 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Here comes the barrage of people claiming how their grandmothers did
> this and that they do that,

Yeah, so?

Got a problem with that, king of the netverse?

**** you - drop dead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/14, 12:25 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> Bacon fat isn't all it's cracked up to be, even when properly stored.

> Fie! It's the elixir of the gods.

Agreed! It's a huge flavor contributor, even if you use only a teaspoon
at a time.

Bacon fat is one of the indispensable elements in my kitchen, for both
meat dishes and some vegetables (e.g., grilled or sauteed asparagus).

I bake my bacon a pound at a time on a rack, and then filter the fat
from the jelly roll pan through two layers of cheesecloth into small
prep dishes.

One is always in the refrigerator; the rest are in the freezer. I have
no need for it to be at room temperature, since in use, it's always
going into a hot pan -- unlike ghee, which is useful at room temp.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>>Bacon fat isn't all it's cracked up to be, even when properly stored.

>> Fie! It's the elixir of the gods.

>Give me good 'ol chicken fat over bacon grease any day. I'll use
>bacon fat, but not after it's been used to fry bacon.

Me too.

Chicken schmaltz (rendered) is pretty much pure. Saved bacon grease
is full of all sorts of chemicals/schmutz, and it tastes *used*,
blech! Bacon isn't the cleanest of viands anyhow, if anyone ever
visited a bacon factory they'd likely never eat bacon again. Anyone
likes bacon they'd be wise, very wise to cure their own... bacon
plants make SPAM plants seem like a hospital OR.
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Freides[_2_] View Post
I've made three packages of bacon over the last few days - two yesterday
and one the day before.

I usually just pour the bacon fat into a coffee cup and leave it on the
kitchen counter because it's bacon at breakfast and then we'll use the
fat to make salad dressing for dinner.

Today, we used the bacon fat from Sunday to pan sear scallops as well as
for salad dressing - it was fine. How long can one store bacon fat on
the kitchen counter without it going bad? I'd think probably quite a
while - but I don't know and I don't need food poisoning, either.

Thanks.

-S-
My Mama keep big coffee cans of the stuff sitting around for years. Its best to store it in the ice box.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 17:25:05 GMT, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>> Bacon fat isn't all it's cracked up to be, even when properly
>>> stored.

>> Fie! It's the elixir of the gods.

> Give me good 'ol chicken fat over bacon grease any day. I'll use
> bacon fat, but not after it's been used to fry bacon.
>
> -sw

My father tells of his mother putting chicken fat - schmaltz - on bread
instead of butter.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2014 2:44 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Give me good 'ol chicken fat over bacon grease any day. I'll use
> bacon fat, but not after it's been used to fry bacon.
>
> -sw

No one ****ing CARES!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2014 8:43 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I'm not that demented.

Oh yeah you are!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 17:25:05 GMT, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>> Bacon fat isn't all it's cracked up to be, even when properly
>>> stored.

>> Fie! It's the elixir of the gods.

> Give me good 'ol chicken fat over bacon grease any day. I'll use
> bacon fat, but not after it's been used to fry bacon.

Can one buy schmaltz commercially? That would be mighty handy. If so,
does anyone have a preferred brand?

I've recently noticed that Whole Foods carries tubs of duck fat, but no
schmaltz.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Jan 2014 11:46:43 -0800, gtr > wrote:

> Can one buy schmaltz commercially? That would be mighty handy. If so,
> does anyone have a preferred brand?
>
> I've recently noticed that Whole Foods carries tubs of duck fat, but no
> schmaltz.

You're down in the LA area - have you checked the internet for a
kosher butcher? I think that's where you'll find schmaltz by the tub
- they might also sell bags of chicken skins so you can do it
yourself. Speaking of doing it yourself, I like to cook with
boneless, skinless thigh meat and bone in, skin on is often on sale at
a good price - so I do it myself, which yields bones for stock and
skin to make schmaltz and gribenes. You could also check out Chinese
or generic Asian store for skins. Not certain if you'd turn up pay
dirt or not, but it's worth a shot. I know you'll be likely to find
backs for stock there. Sometimes Mexican markets are good for stock
bones, if you find one that sell bones - maybe you'll find the skins
too.

--
"Corporations aren't people, they're Republicans"
(Rev Al Sharpton 10/7/2011)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-01-09 21:08:44 +0000, sf said:

> On Thu, 9 Jan 2014 11:46:43 -0800, gtr > wrote:
>>
>> Can one buy schmaltz commercially? That would be mighty handy. If so,
>> does anyone have a preferred brand?
>>
>> I've recently noticed that Whole Foods carries tubs of duck fat, but no
>> schmaltz.
>>

> You're down in the LA area - have you checked the internet for a
> kosher butcher? I think that's where you'll find schmaltz by the tub
> - they might also sell bags of chicken skins so you can do it
> yourself. Speaking of doing it yourself, I like to cook with
> boneless, skinless thigh meat and bone in, skin on is often on sale at
> a good price - so I do it myself, which yields bones for stock and
> skin to make schmaltz and gribenes. You could also check out Chinese
> or generic Asian store for skins. Not certain if you'd turn up pay
> dirt or not, but it's worth a shot. I know you'll be likely to find
> backs for stock there. Sometimes Mexican markets are good for stock
> bones, if you find one that sell bones - maybe you'll find the skins
> too.

All good ideas--I'll report back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/14, 10:07 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>> You can't find room for a 2 oz. prep bowl on top of something else?

> You can always fit more in the fridge. Problem is finding it again,
> and the expense of other things getting shoved to the back and
> forgotten until they're no good any more.

Organization helps. I keep my working butter, etc. on a shelf in the
refer door. Back-ups are stacked in the rear left corner of the second
shelf of the refer body, with the active prep dish of bacon fat on top.
I always know exactly where it is.

(Also, that shelf holds only known and commonly used items, such as
eggs, yeast, etc. No left-overs or the like to make things unmanageable.)

But then you may be blessedly more free of OCD than I am... 8

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.randomlolz.com/wp-content...llex_thumb.jpg