baker1

Default Eggs to room temperature...in shell or out?

When bringing eggs to room temp, is it better to leave them in the
shell, or crack them into a dish and cover them? I figure, it might
take an hour or so for the process.

Thanks
Vox Humana

"baker1" > wrote in message
> When bringing eggs to room temp, is it better to leave them in the
> shell, or crack them into a dish and cover them? I figure, it might
> take an hour or so for the process.
>
> Thanks

I like to put them, in the shell, into hot tap water. They warm very
quickly.

baker1

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 20:21:13 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>"baker1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> When bringing eggs to room temp, is it better to leave them in the
>> shell, or crack them into a dish and cover them? I figure, it might
>> take an hour or so for the process.
>>
>> Thanks

>I like to put them, in the shell, into hot tap water. They warm very
>quickly.

Now there's an idea. Thanks Vox
retzofrex

Why aren't they at room temperature once you have brought them home from
the store? That is the way they are stored through much of Europe :-)

And when under the chickens, they are definitely kept in the shell....
and not refrigerated.

However, enough of the comedy. Personally, I usually go from fridge to
the bread machine's pan with the egg and the egg white that I have in
the fridge, same for the milk if I use milk, then add the room
temperature ingredients [and water at about room temperature] and, when
all is assembled, turn on the machine. It has a 20 minute temperature
stabilisation wait, then starts pulse kneading... and I never worry
about the temperature of the eggs at the end of that wait... between the
metal of the bread maker pan being at room temperature, and the fat,
sugar and salt and flour all being at room temperature, if the milk and
egg are not, I believe that it will NOT make any difference after about
a minute of kneading.

FWIW

RsH

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 19:48:45 GMT, baker1 > wrote:

>When bringing eggs to room temp, is it better to leave them in the
>shell, or crack them into a dish and cover them? I figure, it might
>take an hour or so for the process.
>
>Thanks

Copyright retained. My opinions - no one else's...
If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!
Vox Humana

"retzofrex" > wrote in message
> Why aren't they at room temperature once you have brought them home from
> the store? That is the way they are stored through much of Europe :-)
>
> And when under the chickens, they are definitely kept in the shell....
> and not refrigerated.
>
> However, enough of the comedy. Personally, I usually go from fridge to
> the bread machine's pan with the egg and the egg white that I have in
> the fridge, same for the milk if I use milk, then add the room
> temperature ingredients [and water at about room temperature] and, when
> all is assembled, turn on the machine. It has a 20 minute temperature
> stabilisation wait, then starts pulse kneading... and I never worry
> about the temperature of the eggs at the end of that wait... between the
> metal of the bread maker pan being at room temperature, and the fat,
> sugar and salt and flour all being at room temperature, if the milk and
> egg are not, I believe that it will NOT make any difference after about
> a minute of kneading.

I use eggs for lots of things besides bread and I don't have a bread maker.

Posted to rec.food.baking

You want to raise the temp from refrigerated (40 degrees) to room
temperature as quickly as possible to allow as little time as possible
for bacteria to multiply..

Warm water in the shell is as good a way as any if you must use them at
room temp..

Posted to rec.food.baking
Geoman1

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
.. .

> "baker1" > wrote in message
>> When bringing eggs to room temp, is it better to leave them in the
>> shell, or crack them into a dish and cover them? I figure, it might
>> take an hour or so for the process.
>>
>> Thanks

> I like to put them, in the shell, into hot tap water. They warm very
> quickly.

If I may ask, how long do you allow them to stay in the hot tap water? Just
a moment or several minutes?

Thanks
Rich

Posted to rec.food.baking
baker1

>If I may ask, how long do you allow them to stay in the hot tap water? Just
>a moment or several minutes?
>
>Thanks
>Rich

You know, I just did this today for a cheesecake I made for
Thanksgiving. I put 3 eggs into very warm water for about 4 minutes.
It brought the temp down very nicely...they felt as if the hen had
just laid them.

Enjoy.
Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"Geoman1" <Geo1> wrote in message

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> > "baker1" > wrote in message
> >> When bringing eggs to room temp, is it better to leave them in the
> >> shell, or crack them into a dish and cover them? I figure, it might
> >> take an hour or so for the process.
> >>
> >> Thanks

> > I like to put them, in the shell, into hot tap water. They warm very
> > quickly.
> >

> If I may ask, how long do you allow them to stay in the hot tap water?

Just
> a moment or several minutes?

I would say that 15 minutes is adequate. If you put the eggs is the hot
water first thing when you start getting ingredients out of the cupboard,
the eggs will be ready when it is time to use them.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Geoman1

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Geoman1" <Geo1> wrote in message
>>
>> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> > I like to put them, in the shell, into hot tap water. They warm very
>> > quickly.
>> >

>> If I may ask, how long do you allow them to stay in the hot tap water?

> Just
>> a moment or several minutes?

> I would say that 15 minutes is adequate. If you put the eggs is the hot
> water first thing when you start getting ingredients out of the cupboard,
> the eggs will be ready when it is time to use them.

Great suggestions people, Thanks

HOWEVER, keep reading, I have another amateur question :-)

What is the MAXIMUM temp that you can bring them up too before having
problems? If being too cold is bad, when is too warm bad? Would it true
that the warmer you get the better up to a point?

Thanks, what a great bunch of people that visit here, very pleasant.

Rich

Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"Geoman1" <Geo1> wrote in message

> > I would say that 15 minutes is adequate. If you put the eggs is the hot
> > water first thing when you start getting ingredients out of the

cupboard,
> > the eggs will be ready when it is time to use them.

> Great suggestions people, Thanks
>
> HOWEVER, keep reading, I have another amateur question :-)
>
> What is the MAXIMUM temp that you can bring them up too before having
> problems? If being too cold is bad, when is too warm bad? Would it true
> that the warmer you get the better up to a point?

The maximum temperature would be around 180F. At that point the proteins
would start to coagulate or cook. If you are going to combine the eggs with
other ingredients, room temperature is adequate. If you are going to
separate the eggs into whites and yolks, then you would want to do that
while they are cold. Warm eggs are very hard to separate. If you are going
to beat the whole eggs into a foam, then warmer is better. When I beat egg
whites, I separate them cold, and then put them into a stainless bowl and
heat them directly over the burner, whisking constantly.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Geoman1

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Geoman1" <Geo1> wrote in message
>> >
>> > I would say that 15 minutes is adequate. If you put the eggs is the
>> > hot
>> > water first thing when you start getting ingredients out of the

> cupboard,
>> > the eggs will be ready when it is time to use them.

>> Great suggestions people, Thanks
>>
>> HOWEVER, keep reading, I have another amateur question :-)
>>
>> What is the MAXIMUM temp that you can bring them up too before having
>> problems? If being too cold is bad, when is too warm bad? Would it true
>> that the warmer you get the better up to a point?

> The maximum temperature would be around 180F. At that point the proteins
> would start to coagulate or cook. If you are going to combine the eggs
> with
> other ingredients, room temperature is adequate. If you are going to
> separate the eggs into whites and yolks, then you would want to do that
> while they are cold. Warm eggs are very hard to separate. If you are
> going
> to beat the whole eggs into a foam, then warmer is better. When I beat
> egg
> whites, I separate them cold, and then put them into a stainless bowl and
> heat them directly over the burner, whisking constantly.

Sorry for the delay in responding,

This is a very interesting and informative post you made. I have been making
a meringue pudding for years and volume is always a challenge for me.
I separate 8 egg whites, warm them to room temp, beat stiff and dry, add 2
cups sugar, 1 Tbls of vinegar and vanilla and bake in two pans at 350 for
one hour.
It is then layered like cake and ice with whip cream and covered with a
fruit like sugared strawberries.

If I used your method would the volume be increased? I was thinking of
doubling the recipe in hopes that I could obtain a solid meringue that is
about two to three inch's high but to this date I have not been able too do
so.

If then, I bring the eggs up to maybe 100 degrees F they may whip and bake
better?
Your post is most interesting, thank you

Rich

Posted to rec.food.baking
Geoman1

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
. ..

Vox, please forget my post on this link, I noticed you answered it on my
other post

Sorry for the confusion.

Rich

Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"Geoman1" <Geo1> wrote in message

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> . ..

> > cupboard,
> >>

> >> Great suggestions people, Thanks
> >>
> >> HOWEVER, keep reading, I have another amateur question :-)
> >>
> >> What is the MAXIMUM temp that you can bring them up too before having
> >> problems? If being too cold is bad, when is too warm bad? Would it

true
> >> that the warmer you get the better up to a point?

> > The maximum temperature would be around 180F. At that point the

proteins
> > would start to coagulate or cook. If you are going to combine the eggs
> > with
> > other ingredients, room temperature is adequate. If you are going to
> > separate the eggs into whites and yolks, then you would want to do that
> > while they are cold. Warm eggs are very hard to separate. If you are
> > going
> > to beat the whole eggs into a foam, then warmer is better. When I beat
> > egg
> > whites, I separate them cold, and then put them into a stainless bowl

and
> > heat them directly over the burner, whisking constantly.

> Sorry for the delay in responding,
>
> This is a very interesting and informative post you made. I have been

making
> a meringue pudding for years and volume is always a challenge for me.
> I separate 8 egg whites, warm them to room temp, beat stiff and dry, add 2
> cups sugar, 1 Tbls of vinegar and vanilla and bake in two pans at 350 for
> one hour.
> It is then layered like cake and ice with whip cream and covered with a
> fruit like sugared strawberries.
>
> If I used your method would the volume be increased? I was thinking of
> doubling the recipe in hopes that I could obtain a solid meringue that is
> about two to three inch's high but to this date I have not been able too

do
> so.
>
> If then, I bring the eggs up to maybe 100 degrees F they may whip and bake
> better?
> Your post is most interesting, thank you

I think you are adding the sugar too soon. Also, warming the eggs should
give you more volume. I would whisk by hand with a wire whisk, with the
vinegar, over heat until they are very warm and a soft foam forms. Then,
move them to your stand mixer and slowly add the sugar, with the mixer on
medium high using the whisk attachment. Continue beating until a lustrous
foam forms that hold a peak.