Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Booze below room temperature

I have a lifelong acquaintance with booze. Well, not until I was 13, or
so..........

Was a bartender in Local 165, Las Vegas. Owned clubs.

Anyhoo, I know a little about booze.

Now, I like to keep my booze refrigerated, or better yet, in the freezer.
It makes a large difference in the taste, consistency of poured drinks, and
the amount of time it takes to melt the ice.

Does anyone else practice this? Well, there's no practicing to it, you
either do it or not.

Bill W. fans and Moronites, please do not respond. Unless, of course, you
drink.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:
> I have a lifelong acquaintance with booze. Well, not until I was 13, or
> so..........
>
> Was a bartender in Local 165, Las Vegas. Owned clubs.
>
> Anyhoo, I know a little about booze.
>
> Now, I like to keep my booze refrigerated, or better yet, in the freezer.
> It makes a large difference in the taste, consistency of poured drinks, and
> the amount of time it takes to melt the ice.
>
> Does anyone else practice this? Well, there's no practicing to it, you
> either do it or not.

I keep Vodka and Akavit in the freezer. Once in a while I have a shot of
one or the other ice cold. I don't bother with the other liquors.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 24, 12:20*pm, "Steve B" > wrote:
> I have a lifelong acquaintance with booze. *Well, not until I was 13, or
> so..........
>
> Was a bartender in Local 165, Las Vegas. *Owned clubs.
>
> Anyhoo, I know a little about booze.
>
> Now, I like to keep my booze refrigerated, or better yet, in the freezer.
> It makes a large difference in the taste, consistency of poured drinks, and
> the amount of time it takes to melt the ice.
>
> Does anyone else practice this? *Well, there's no practicing to it, you
> either do it or not.
>
> Bill W. fans and Moronites, please do not respond. *Unless, of course, you
> drink.
>
> Steve
>
> visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.com

I keep the vodka in the freezer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2010 2:20 PM, Steve B wrote:
> I have a lifelong acquaintance with booze. Well, not until I was 13, or
> so..........
>
> Was a bartender in Local 165, Las Vegas. Owned clubs.
>
> Anyhoo, I know a little about booze.
>
> Now, I like to keep my booze refrigerated, or better yet, in the freezer.
> It makes a large difference in the taste, consistency of poured drinks, and
> the amount of time it takes to melt the ice.
>
> Does anyone else practice this? Well, there's no practicing to it, you
> either do it or not.
>
> Bill W. fans and Moronites, please do not respond. Unless, of course, you
> drink.
>
> Steve
>
> visit my blog at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

I keep my vodka bottle in the deep freezer (about -5 degrees F.) And
lately I've been keeping some gin in there too.

The vodka makes good shots to drink with fiery hot peppery shrimp
dishes, or just to mix with whatever. The gin is for G&T's or to add to
diet ginger ale.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:

> Now, I like to keep my booze refrigerated, or better yet, in the freezer.
> It makes a large difference in the taste, consistency of poured drinks, and
> the amount of time it takes to melt the ice.
>
> Does anyone else practice this? Well, there's no practicing to it, you
> either do it or not.

I keep my homemade limoncello in the freezer, and my Seagrams Peach
Sweet Tea Vodka in the fridge. I have a full sized beverage fridge out
in in the garage so I guess I could put more bottles in there for use
but don't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote on Sat, 24 Jul 2010 12:20:58 -0700:

> Was a bartender in Local 165, Las Vegas. Owned clubs.

> Anyhoo, I know a little about booze.

> Now, I like to keep my booze refrigerated, or better yet, in
> the freezer. It makes a large difference in the taste,
> consistency of poured drinks, and the amount of time it takes to melt
> the ice.

> Does anyone else practice this? Well, there's no practicing
> to it, you either do it or not.

> Bill W. fans and Moronites, please do not respond. Unless, of
> course, you drink.

Vodka is commonly kept in the freezer and the waiter may bring a block
of ice to your table with the bottle inside. Pepper vodka (and I don't
mean Absolut Peppar made with green peppers) is best gulped at freezer
temperatures. I keep such a bottle of homemade pepper vodka in my
freezer.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve B" > wrote in message
news
>I have a lifelong acquaintance with booze. Well, not until I was 13, or
>so..........
>
> Was a bartender in Local 165, Las Vegas. Owned clubs.
>
> Anyhoo, I know a little about booze.
>
> Now, I like to keep my booze refrigerated, or better yet, in the freezer.
> It makes a large difference in the taste, consistency of poured drinks,
> and the amount of time it takes to melt the ice.
>
> Does anyone else practice this? Well, there's no practicing to it, you
> either do it or not.
>
> Bill W. fans and Moronites, please do not respond. Unless, of course, you
> drink.
>
> Steve
>
> visit my blog at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

I do keep my gin and vodka in the fridge for colder summer drinks, but I
never thought of keeping other booze there. Guess it's time to clean out the
fridge and make room for such important stuff!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" > wrote in
:

> "Steve B" > wrote in message
> news
>>I have a lifelong acquaintance with booze. Well, not until I was 13, or
>>so..........
>>
>> Was a bartender in Local 165, Las Vegas. Owned clubs.
>>
>> Anyhoo, I know a little about booze.
>>
>> Now, I like to keep my booze refrigerated, or better yet, in the
>> freezer. It makes a large difference in the taste, consistency of
>> poured drinks, and the amount of time it takes to melt the ice.
>>
>> Does anyone else practice this? Well, there's no practicing to it, you
>> either do it or not.
>>
>> Bill W. fans and Moronites, please do not respond. Unless, of course,
>> you drink.
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> visit my blog at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

> I do keep my gin and vodka in the fridge for colder summer drinks, but I
> never thought of keeping other booze there. Guess it's time to clean out
> the fridge and make room for such important stuff!

I keep my vodka and Limoncello in the freezer,and when it's getting warm,
the Gin goes in either the fridge or the freezer, depending on how much is
going to be drunk :-)

I also put opened bottles of red wine in the fridge, as it keeps for an
extra 5 or so days......... *especially* when it's warm.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 15:38:11 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Steve B wrote:
>> I have a lifelong acquaintance with booze. Well, not until I was 13, or
>> so..........
>>
>> Was a bartender in Local 165, Las Vegas. Owned clubs.
>>
>> Anyhoo, I know a little about booze.
>>
>> Now, I like to keep my booze refrigerated, or better yet, in the freezer.
>> It makes a large difference in the taste, consistency of poured drinks, and
>> the amount of time it takes to melt the ice.
>>
>> Does anyone else practice this? Well, there's no practicing to it, you
>> either do it or not.
>>

>I keep Vodka and Akavit in the freezer. Once in a while I have a shot of
>one or the other ice cold. I don't bother with the other liquors.

What you said, Dave. I don't see the point in putting any other booze
in the freezer.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 15:56:29 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>I keep my homemade limoncello in the freezer, and my Seagrams Peach
>Sweet Tea Vodka in the fridge. I have a full sized beverage fridge out
>in in the garage so I guess I could put more bottles in there for use
>but don't.

Y'know, I was gonna ask Christine Dabney about that. I'm making some
limoncello for the cook in and, insofar as the finished product has a
couple of cups of simple syrup in it, can I freeze it without it
blowing up all over the freezer?

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-07-24, James Silverton > wrote:

> temperatures. I keep such a bottle of homemade pepper vodka in my
> freezer.

Why?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> Y'know, I was gonna ask Christine Dabney about that. I'm making some
> limoncello for the cook in and, insofar as the finished product has a
> couple of cups of simple syrup in it, can I freeze it without it
> blowing up all over the freezer?
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

It doesn't freeze, it only turns into a nice syrupy consistency
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 24, 7:41*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2010-07-24, James Silverton > wrote:
>
> > temperatures. I keep such a bottle of homemade pepper vodka in my
> > freezer.

> Why?
>
> nb

The adolescent fascination with a liquid that looks very much like
water NOT freezing in the freezer.

And 100 other justifications.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2010 8:55 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 17:38:22 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> > wrote:
>
> .
>> Y'know, I was gonna ask Christine Dabney about that. I'm making some
>> limoncello for the cook in and, insofar as the finished product has a
>> couple of cups of simple syrup in it, can I freeze it without it
>> blowing up all over the freezer?

> Yes, it should be kept in the freezer. If you make it according to
> the recipe I followed, it will do just fine.

I'm curious--do you know the freezing point offhand? Both alcohol and
sugar depress the freezing point of water but I'm too lazy to figure out
what it should be from your recipe. Of course it's also going to make a
difference what strength vodka you use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. wrote on Sun, 25 Jul 2010 09:51:42 -0400:

> On 7/24/2010 8:55 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 17:38:22 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
>> > wrote:
>>
>> .
>>> Y'know, I was gonna ask Christine Dabney about that. I'm
>>> making some limoncello for the cook in and, insofar as the
>>> finished product has a couple of cups of simple syrup in it,
>>> can I freeze it without it blowing up all over the freezer?

>> Yes, it should be kept in the freezer. If you make it
>> according to the recipe I followed, it will do just fine.

In principle, sugar depresses the freezing point of water but doing
experiments is difficult because water-sugar solutions do not freeze
quickly and form syrups. You can get water (ice) crystals from an
alcohol solution and that is how applejack is made.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 17:38:22 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 15:56:29 -0400, Goomba >
> wrote:
>
>>I keep my homemade limoncello in the freezer, and my Seagrams Peach
>>Sweet Tea Vodka in the fridge. I have a full sized beverage fridge out
>>in in the garage so I guess I could put more bottles in there for use
>>but don't.

> Y'know, I was gonna ask Christine Dabney about that. I'm making some
> limoncello for the cook in and, insofar as the finished product has a
> couple of cups of simple syrup in it, can I freeze it without it
> blowing up all over the freezer?
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

sure. it gets very cold but won't freeze.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 00:41:30 GMT, notbob wrote:

> On 2010-07-24, James Silverton > wrote:
>
>> temperatures. I keep such a bottle of homemade pepper vodka in my
>> freezer.

> Why?
>
> nb

i would guess in order to have a cold snort from time to time.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 24, 3:20*pm, "Steve B" > wrote:
> I have a lifelong acquaintance with booze. *Well, not until I was 13, or
> so..........
>
> Was a bartender in Local 165, Las Vegas. *Owned clubs.
>
> Anyhoo, I know a little about booze.
>
> Now, I like to keep my booze refrigerated, or better yet, in the freezer.
> It makes a large difference in the taste, consistency of poured drinks, and
> the amount of time it takes to melt the ice.
>
> Does anyone else practice this? *Well, there's no practicing to it, you
> either do it or not.

My husband keeps Jaegermeister in the freezer, and Bailey's in the
fridge. He uses the Bailey's exclusively in coffee; I drink it neat.
Other liquors are on a shelf in the kitchen. We don't drink much
hard stuff.

Oh, and he's infused a small amount of vodka with lemongrass,
and that's in the fridge, too, awaiting enough leisure to have
cocktails.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 06:46:58 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Jul 24, 3:20*pm, "Steve B" > wrote:
>> I have a lifelong acquaintance with booze. *Well, not until I was 13, or
>> so..........
>>
>> Was a bartender in Local 165, Las Vegas. *Owned clubs.
>>
>> Anyhoo, I know a little about booze.
>>
>> Now, I like to keep my booze refrigerated, or better yet, in the freezer.
>> It makes a large difference in the taste, consistency of poured drinks, and
>> the amount of time it takes to melt the ice.
>>
>> Does anyone else practice this? *Well, there's no practicing to it, you
>> either do it or not.

> My husband keeps Jaegermeister in the freezer, and Bailey's in the
> fridge. He uses the Bailey's exclusively in coffee; I drink it neat.
> Other liquors are on a shelf in the kitchen. We don't drink much
> hard stuff.
>
> Oh, and he's infused a small amount of vodka with lemongrass,
> and that's in the fridge, too, awaiting enough leisure to have
> cocktails.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

now infusing with lemongrass i've not heard of. i hope you'll favor us
with a report.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 26, 1:26*pm, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 06:46:58 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Jul 24, 3:20*pm, "Steve B" > wrote:
> >> I have a lifelong acquaintance with booze. *Well, not until I was 13, or
> >> so..........

> >> Was a bartender in Local 165, Las Vegas. *Owned clubs.

> >> Anyhoo, I know a little about booze.

> >> Now, I like to keep my booze refrigerated, or better yet, in the freezer.
> >> It makes a large difference in the taste, consistency of poured drinks, and
> >> the amount of time it takes to melt the ice.

> >> Does anyone else practice this? *Well, there's no practicing to it, you
> >> either do it or not.

> > My husband keeps Jaegermeister in the freezer, and Bailey's in the
> > fridge. *He uses the Bailey's exclusively in coffee; I drink it neat.
> > Other liquors are on a shelf in the kitchen. *We don't drink much
> > hard stuff.

> > Oh, and he's infused a small amount of vodka with lemongrass,
> > and that's in the fridge, too, awaiting enough leisure to have
> > cocktails.

> > Cindy Hamilton

> now infusing with lemongrass i've not heard of. *i hope you'll favor us
> with a report.

He had lemongrass-infused vodka in Seattle a few years ago. It
seemed to be pretty common, from what he said.

I hope I remember to report. We don't drink on weeknights.
Weekends we're busy working on the house. I'm afraid to have
a drink for fear it would make me too lazy to fix supper, or
that it would lead to insomnia as it sometimes does. I'm such
a lightweight these days.

Cindy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 12:33:29 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Jul 26, 1:26*pm, blake murphy > wrote:

>>> My husband keeps Jaegermeister in the freezer, and Bailey's in the
>>> fridge. *He uses the Bailey's exclusively in coffee; I drink it neat.
>>> Other liquors are on a shelf in the kitchen. *We don't drink much
>>> hard stuff.

>>> Oh, and he's infused a small amount of vodka with lemongrass,
>>> and that's in the fridge, too, awaiting enough leisure to have
>>> cocktails.

>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> now infusing with lemongrass i've not heard of. *i hope you'll favor us
>> with a report.

> He had lemongrass-infused vodka in Seattle a few years ago. It
> seemed to be pretty common, from what he said.
>
> I hope I remember to report. We don't drink on weeknights.
> Weekends we're busy working on the house. I'm afraid to have
> a drink for fear it would make me too lazy to fix supper, or
> that it would lead to insomnia as it sometimes does. I'm such
> a lightweight these days.
>
> Cindy

how about a second-hand report from your husband?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking