contest judging?

Old 22-10-2004, 10:19 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson
Usenet poster

Default contest judging?

A friend has asked me to help devise a scheme to use in judging a
lasagne contest, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about
doing it?

I'm thinking that the judges should consider each dish on a handful of
criteria, including appearance, taste and texture. Any thoughts?

JT
Old 22-10-2004, 10:59 PM
RMiller
Usenet poster

I'm thinking that the judges should consider each dish on a handful of
criteria, including appearance, taste and texture. Any thoughts?

JT

Ok, here is my 2 cents. As far as Lasagna goes, there are many different kinds.
It would be pretty difficult to hold them to a certain standard, I would just
go for the one that tastes the best to you.
Rosie

Old 23-10-2004, 01:35 AM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

(Julian9EHP) writes:

(John Forrest Tomlinson) writes:

A friend has asked me to help devise a scheme to use in judging a
lasagne contest, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about
doing it?

I'm thinking that the judges should consider each dish on a handful of
criteria, including appearance, taste and texture. Any thoughts?

I like my pasta done _el dente_. An aquaintance likes hers boiled to paste.

That would be covered under "texture", a very subjective area for pasta
dishes... and from your extremely biased "boiled to paste" remark you wouldn't
be an objective/fair judge... I mean what would you think if someone rated your
pasta as undercooked may as well eat the cardboard box.

I think lasagna needs to also be judged according to catagory, ie. vegetable,
pork, fowl, just cheese, etc.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Old 23-10-2004, 08:15 AM
Martin Golding
Usenet poster

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:19:26 -0700, John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

A friend has asked me to help devise a scheme to use in judging a lasagne
contest, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about doing it?

I'm thinking that the judges should consider each dish on a handful of
criteria, including appearance, taste and texture. Any thoughts?

We (the premier northwest electronic biker gang) are having our annual cookoff
tomorrow. We have A Great Deal Of Experience in judging cooking contests.

You have two choices: Lay out _and publish for the contestants_ precise
expectations. That means identifying acceptable categories of lasagne and
detailed criteria for each type, acceptable and non-acceptable ingredients,
textural requirements, sweetness levels, everything. (If you need an example
of anal retentive detail, google a few dog breed standards.)

Alternatively, if the contest is casual, leave it up to the judges. If
The Rule is that the judges' decision is final and correct, the judges'
decision is, ipso facto, final and correct.

OTOH, the bulk of _our_ rules relate to the nature of acceptable bribes, so
you may want to seek elsewher for advice.

Martin
--
Martin Golding | If you boil it, they will come.
DoD #236 BMWMOA #55952 SMTC #2 | Vancouver, WA