FoodBanter.com

-   -   contest judging? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/40097-contest-judging.html)

John Forrest Tomlinson 22-10-2004 10:19 PM

contest judging?

A friend has asked me to help devise a scheme to use in judging a
lasagne contest, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about
doing it?

I'm thinking that the judges should consider each dish on a handful of
criteria, including appearance, taste and texture. Any thoughts?

JT

RMiller 22-10-2004 10:59 PM

>I'm thinking that the judges should consider each dish on a handful of
>criteria, including appearance, taste and texture. Any thoughts?
>
>JT

Ok, here is my 2 cents. As far as Lasagna goes, there are many different kinds.
It would be pretty difficult to hold them to a certain standard, I would just
go for the one that tastes the best to you.
Rosie

RMiller 22-10-2004 10:59 PM

Julian9EHP 23-10-2004 01:10 AM

>From: (John Forrest Tomlinson)

>A friend has asked me to help devise a scheme to use in judging a
>lasagne contest, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about
>doing it?
>
>I'm thinking that the judges should consider each dish on a handful of
>criteria, including appearance, taste and texture. Any thoughts?

I like my pasta done _el dente_. An aquaintance likes hers boiled to paste.

E. P.

Julian9EHP 23-10-2004 01:10 AM

PENMART01 23-10-2004 01:35 AM

(John Forrest Tomlinson) writes:

>>A friend has asked me to help devise a scheme to use in judging a
>>lasagne contest, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about
>>doing it?
>>
>>I'm thinking that the judges should consider each dish on a handful of
>>criteria, including appearance, taste and texture. Any thoughts?

>I like my pasta done _el dente_. An aquaintance likes hers boiled to paste.

That would be covered under "texture", a very subjective area for pasta
dishes... and from your extremely biased "boiled to paste" remark you wouldn't
be an objective/fair judge... I mean what would you think if someone rated your
pasta as undercooked may as well eat the cardboard box.

I think lasagna needs to also be judged according to catagory, ie. vegetable,
pork, fowl, just cheese, etc.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01 23-10-2004 01:35 AM

Puester 23-10-2004 02:43 AM

Julian9EHP wrote:

> >From: (John Forrest Tomlinson)

> >A friend has asked me to help devise a scheme to use in judging a
> >lasagne contest, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about
> >doing it?
> >
> >I'm thinking that the judges should consider each dish on a handful of
> >criteria, including appearance, taste and texture. Any thoughts?

> I like my pasta done _el dente_. An aquaintance likes hers boiled to paste.
>
> E. P.

That's why you need objective criteria.

gloria p

Martin Golding 23-10-2004 08:15 AM

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:19:26 -0700, John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

> A friend has asked me to help devise a scheme to use in judging a lasagne
> contest, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about doing it?
>
> I'm thinking that the judges should consider each dish on a handful of
> criteria, including appearance, taste and texture. Any thoughts?

We (the premier northwest electronic biker gang) are having our annual cookoff
tomorrow. We have A Great Deal Of Experience in judging cooking contests.

You have two choices: Lay out _and publish for the contestants_ precise
expectations. That means identifying acceptable categories of lasagne and
detailed criteria for each type, acceptable and non-acceptable ingredients,
textural requirements, sweetness levels, everything. (If you need an example
of anal retentive detail, google a few dog breed standards.)

Alternatively, if the contest is casual, leave it up to the judges. If
The Rule is that the judges' decision is final and correct, the judges'
decision is, ipso facto, final and correct.

OTOH, the bulk of _our_ rules relate to the nature of acceptable bribes, so
you may want to seek elsewher for advice.

Martin
--
Martin Golding | If you boil it, they will come.
DoD #236 BMWMOA #55952 SMTC #2 | Vancouver, WA

Sheryl Rosen 24-10-2004 02:12 AM

in article , John Forrest
Tomlinson at
wrote on 10/22/04 5:19 PM:

> A friend has asked me to help devise a scheme to use in judging a
> lasagne contest, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about
> doing it?
>
> I'm thinking that the judges should consider each dish on a handful of
> criteria, including appearance, taste and texture. Any thoughts?
>
> JT

Some criteria of good lasagna:

1. Layers hold when you cut into it, rather than filling in the hole where
the piece you just removed once was.

2. No puddles of sauce in the bottom of the pan.

3. Layers hold together when served. (No scrambled messes on the plate)

4. Noodles are not gummy or mushy, nor are they tough, undercooked or
leathery.

5. You can taste the individual components separately, it's not just a big
mess of conglomerated flavors. So in a bite, you get a distinct flavor of
the cheeses, the pasta, the sauce and the meat or vegetables, if any. It's
not just a big glop.

6. Top is not burned, nor is it overly dried out.

7. Cheese on top layer creamy, not leathery.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

Sheryl Rosen 24-10-2004 02:12 AM

in article , John Forrest
Tomlinson at