Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
ostaz

Default Judging water temp...thermometer?

How accurately do you brew your tea.....do you just estimate the temp or do
you actually use a thermometer...if so, what kind? Also, any suggestions on
how to brew a REALLY good cup of persian tea (without a samivor)? Thanks

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Scott Dorsey

ostaz > wrote:
>How accurately do you brew your tea.....do you just estimate the temp or do
>you actually use a thermometer...if so, what kind?

If you are boiling water, it's easy to know how hot it is. Down here it's
at 100'C. Up in Denver, it's a good bit lower.

If you're making a tea that wants to be steeped at a lower temperature,
you need to measure it.

Some folks just boil water, then put it in the cup and wait some amount of
time for it to cool down. But you still need the thermometer to find out
how long it takes for the water to cool down to the right point in your
cup, because it will be different in different cups.

When I do this kind of thing, I use a lab thermometer from Cenco Scientific
because that's what's on my desk. You could use anything that will go up
to boiling. But since I mostly drink black teas that want to be steeped
at boiling temperature, I don't do this much.

An alternate method that some people use is to put water into the microwave,
then heat it for a fixed amount of time. But you still need a thermometer
so you can see how hot the water gets in _your_ cup in _your_ microwave with
that amount of water. I don't like this, because small differences in the
amount of water can make large differences in the final temperature.

>Also, any suggestions on
>how to brew a REALLY good cup of persian tea (without a samivor)? Thanks

I have seen folks do it in a deep pot on the stove. That stuff gets steeped
damn near forever, which is why you need to put all the cardamom in t.
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
ostaz

>>Also, any suggestions on
>>how to brew a REALLY good cup of persian tea (without a samivor)? Thanks

> I have seen folks do it in a deep pot on the stove. That stuff gets
> steeped
> damn near forever, which is why you need to put all the cardamom in t.
> --scott

Persian tea tends to be really awful tasting to me if it is oversteeped or
steeped at to high a temp.....although it is a fermented tea (I forget the
type). I usually drink Sadaf brand Persian tea with bergamot (Earl Grey
type).

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
ostaz

"
> Persian tea tends to be really awful tasting to me if it is oversteeped or
> steeped at to high a temp.....although it is a fermented tea (I forget the
> type). I usually drink Sadaf brand Persian tea with bergamot (Earl Grey
> type).

Oh, here it is: http://sadaf.com/store/product440.html

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Scott Dorsey

ostaz > wrote:
>>>Also, any suggestions on
>>>how to brew a REALLY good cup of persian tea (without a samivor)? Thanks

>> I have seen folks do it in a deep pot on the stove. That stuff gets
>> steeped
>> damn near forever, which is why you need to put all the cardamom in t.

>Persian tea tends to be really awful tasting to me if it is oversteeped or
>steeped at to high a temp.....although it is a fermented tea (I forget the
>type). I usually drink Sadaf brand Persian tea with bergamot (Earl Grey
>type).

It's almost always some kind of Assam. I must say I don't really care for
that method of making tea, but I know folks who do.
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Bluesea

"ostaz" > wrote in message
. ..
> How accurately do you brew your tea.....do you just estimate the temp or

do
> you actually use a thermometer...if so, what kind?

For teas using temps at <boiling, I use an instant-read thermometer that I
got from Wal-Mart for about $5.50.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
t4u

For what it is worth: I asked my Turkish friend and he uses a Ceylon
tea. Brews very strong and mixes with hot water to taste (ala a
samovar). He also uses a lot of sugar...

Richard

water temp for Anxi oolong? Alex[_3_] Tea 5 29-03-2008 04:06 AM
Nu-Temp 701 BBQ Thermometer Dennis Spexet Barbecue 0 17-05-2006 06:24 PM
Water Temp Justin Holmes Tea 17 16-12-2005 03:18 PM
contest judging? John Forrest Tomlinson General Cooking 10 24-10-2004 02:12 AM
water temp vs caffeine content Kevin Graham Tea 3 10-09-2004 08:36 PM