Onions and Crying: which varieties make you cry the MOST

Old 12-10-2004, 07:11 PM
Christopher A. Steele
Usenet poster

Default Onions and Crying: which varieties make you cry the MOST

If I understand correctly what I've read on the Net, some varieties of
onion are more apt to make one cry than others. I'd like to know which
varieties are the WORST ... "cry wise." ( I already understand the
chemistry that causes the sobbing )

Thanks!

Christopher A. Steele
Son of Col. M.J. Steele, US Army Security Agency/AGC, Fts: Devens,
Rucker, Lawton, OATerm, MacArther, +
Old 12-10-2004, 08:40 PM
rmg
Usenet poster

"Christopher A. Steele" wrote in message
om...
If I understand correctly what I've read on the Net, some varieties of
onion are more apt to make one cry than others. I'd like to know which
varieties are the WORST ... "cry wise." ( I already understand the
chemistry that causes the sobbing )

Thanks!

Christopher A. Steele
Son of Col. M.J. Steele, US Army Security Agency/AGC, Fts: Devens,
Rucker, Lawton, OATerm, MacArther, +

I have found (your mileage may vary) that if my knife is very sharp, the
tears are significantly reduced.

Old 12-10-2004, 08:42 PM
rmg
Usenet poster

"Christopher A. Steele" wrote in message
om...
If I understand correctly what I've read on the Net, some varieties of
onion are more apt to make one cry than others. I'd like to know which
varieties are the WORST ... "cry wise." ( I already understand the
chemistry that causes the sobbing )

Thanks!

Christopher A. Steele
Son of Col. M.J. Steele, US Army Security Agency/AGC, Fts: Devens,
Rucker, Lawton, OATerm, MacArther, +

P.S. I realize you were asking about varieties when I wrote my previous
post. Sorry if my answer wasn't completely on-topic. I guess it was more of
a suggestion :-)

Old 12-10-2004, 09:05 PM
Jess Askin
Usenet poster

"Christopher A. Steele" wrote in message
om...
If I understand correctly what I've read on the Net, some varieties of
onion are more apt to make one cry than others. I'd like to know which
varieties are the WORST ... "cry wise." ( I already understand the
chemistry that causes the sobbing )

For me it's not the variety so much as the freshness. The fresher the
onion, the more I tear up.

Old 12-10-2004, 11:52 PM
Julia Altshuler
Usenet poster

Jess Askin wrote:

For me it's not the variety so much as the freshness. The fresher the
onion, the more I tear up.

I've had the exact opposite experience. It was explained to me thus:
The tearing is from the tear-making stuff in the onion getting into the
air and into your eyes. If the onion is young, the cell wall does a
good job of keeping the tear-making stuff in. If the knife is sharp,
fewer cell walls are broken so less gets into the air. If the onion is
old, the cell walls break down which equals more irritation and tears.
Anything that mashes or purees the onion will mean more tearing than
plain cutting. In addition to a sharp knife, I get a good deal of
protection from my ordinary glasses. Then I work quickly and
efficiently and cover the cut onions with plastic as soon as I can. I
skip all other hints for tear free onions.

--Lia